Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Austrian Adventure

Poster: A snowHead
We have been in Austria all of today, and it's been absolutley FREEZING! However it is supposed to get warmer as the week goes on. The snow is great and the skiing would be incredible if my toes and finger tips didn't feel like they were about to drop off! Laughing
Hope to post again soon

PS: Some of the lifts have a warm seat on and there is one with orange and black and everyone wanted to go on the black one because it was warmer!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-02-12 19:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Minimum_1, have a great time, guys, and try to keep warm. It does sound absolutely arctic. Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's colder in Paris - they've cancelled the rugby
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Minimum_1, Being cold is all part of the fun. Look upon it as a big adventure... think of Arthur Ransome's Winter Holiday snowHead Neoprene face masks can help keep your face warm. Also, try the cheap Buffalo mitts over your ski gloves, your fingers will be warm with two full layers.

I bet this week is going to be fantastic, even if you have some cold fingers to deal with.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Arthur Ransome's Winter Holiday

Definitely digging those books out when next I'm home!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Minimum_1, As people have said, wrap up warmly and you'll have fun. I and a group of other Snowheads have just got back from the Birthday Bash in the Italian Dolomites (not all that much further south than where you are in Austria) and the temperatures were often about -15 deg C. This meant that we often had to stop for a warming hot chocolate - I'm sure you can suggest this to your Mum! wink . Austria is also rather good for yummy cakes (they call them Tortes) - look out for coffee houses/cake shops with a sign "Konditorei".Madeye-Smiley

I hope you and your family had a good drive down to Austria in the car, did you pass by any nice looking places en route? The snow conditions will be good in the resort - the Ski Amade region is a brilliant ski area!

Have a great time!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all, I'm sure Minimum_1 will report back later, but we are back in the appartment having continued our gastronomic tour around the mountain. Have yet to try the goulasch soup, but have already had tiroler grostl, schinken kase toast, and the dish that is the batter pieces served with fruit compote and icing sugar (someone will know the name). We went to the Wagrain side today and found a rather iffy red off the top of the Top Liner-Mulde lift which somewhat concentrated the mind, yesterday we skied a red down to the foot of the star jet 1 chair which was very icy and [b]Kooky[b] told us later that it was the ladies world cup slalom piste which they deliberately ice up!!! Still after Les Arcs ice last year nothing seems too icy!! Laughing We are all set for lessons tomorrow - all four of us are booked in and hope we have a good time.

Edit 'cos I don't know the difference between emperors and cheese Embarassed

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 12-02-12 19:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Kaiserschmarrn! You can get a pretty good packet mix at the MPreis and with some good jam makes a great breakfast.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

schinken kaiser toast

Shocked Shocked

Sounds expensive...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
Minimum_1, As people have said, wrap up warmly and you'll have fun. I and a group of other Snowheads have just got back from the Birthday Bash in the Italian Dolomites (not all that much further south than where you are in Austria) and the temperatures were often about -15 deg C. This meant that we often had to stop for a warming hot chocolate - I'm sure you can suggest this to your Mum! wink . Austria is also rather good for yummy cakes (they call them Tortes) - look out for coffee houses/cake shops with a sign "Konditorei".Madeye-Smiley

I hope you and your family had a good drive down to Austria in the car, did you pass by any nice looking places en route? The snow conditions will be good in the resort - the Ski Amade region is a brilliant ski area!

Have a great time!

Don't worry we already have stopped in about 5 or 6 different bars and resturants! Smile
Hope you had a good time in the Italian Dolomites!!!
We were on the piste later today and there were HUGE queues at the Achter Jet lift so we decided to go the top of the mountain and attempt to ski the Wagrain side of the hill
As Megamum has already said we have been in a few different resturants and tried lots of different foods. What she didn't tell you though was that in almost every one we went in she had a Gluhwein! Her skiing improved dramatically as the day progressed!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
In the Auhofalm resturant there were ribs and roast chicken to DIE for! (The location is halfway down the flying mozart for those of you who may want to go there) The chips were delicious too!!!

As we were all skiing down the Flying Mozart we suddenly saw the ski patrol blocking half the piste, skis crossed over each other, a piste basher making a flat platform and a person wrapped up in blankets. The person must've been badly hurt and the helicopter came down and carried the injured person away in a hurry.
Hope to post again soon

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 13-02-12 19:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Minimum_1, Good to hear you're having a good time! Very Happy

P.S As regards the food your Mum mentioned, explain to her that she has mixed up her kaiser (= emperor) and käse (= cheese). What you had was schinken käse toast (ham cheese toasty). Kaiserschmarren (the chopped up pancake dessert) got the Kaiser prefix because it was a favourite of the last Austrian Emperor Franz Josef. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Minimum_1,
Quote:

We were on the piste later today and there were HUGE cues at the Achter Jet lift so we decided to go the top of the mountain and attempt to ski the Wagrain side of the hill

When we visited the area there were huge queues in Flachau and virtually non in Zauchensee which also had better slopes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

What she didn't tell you though was that in almost every one we went in she had a Gluhwein! Her skiing improved dramatically as the day progressed!!!

Brill

Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Because we were out earlier, we missed the early morning queues at the Achter Jet (There was no one else in the queue), so we had time to go to a bar, have a tea, 2 Gluhwein's, and a hot chocolate. A very good way to start the day! wink

Today we had our first 2 hour ski lesson. The instructor Minimum_2 and I had was called Mario. He taught us how to carve and do short turns. After we had done that for half an hour we started going off piste for the rest of the lesson. It was really fun although after doing the same part of off piste about 3 times before I managed to fall over!!! snowHead As we were skiing my left ski came off my foot and then flew down to the bottom of the hill. Then my other leg buckled under me and my other ski also flew off in the opposite direction. I had to then collect them both and slowly ski down to where Minimum_2 and the instructor were standing.

On a plus note, it started snowing at the end of the day so that helped to get rid of some of the ice, there may be a little more snow over the next few days, and that will 'freshen' things up a bit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gluhwein stop immediately after an early lift?! Sounds as though somebody's getting into some questionable habits. Shocked wink
snow conditions
Pedantica, It could have been Minimum_1, on the gluhwein Little Angel Laughing

Just waiting for the shepherds pie to brown at the moment. We all had lessons today and when you have an instructor for a couple of hours of non-stop skiing don't your legs know it?!! We got to the bottom of the Wagrain side twice today - we went all the way down the Rot8tor with the instructor and then all the way down the flying Mozart this afternoon. It is quite scraped at the bottom of both esp. the rot8tor. Mind you I think there are reds and then there are Austrian reds! Some parts of both of those are decidedly steep! I am quite certain that it wouldn't have been that long ago that I couldn't have even contemplated what I am currently skiing here so I am quite pleased with myself.

We have visited the supermarket tonight - that is a walkable trip and are just about ready to eat - a bit later than I would have liked but it doesn't really matter. More updates to follow I'm sure.
ski holidays
Pedantica, I bet they have negotiated a family gluhwein deal Laughing

Megamum, sounds as if you are having a typically great trip out there, good place isn't it Cool
snow conditions
Scarpa, it sure is - I don't think we've even scratched the surface yet though.

So what clever person is going to tell me what they put on the reisengermknordel (spelling might not be quite correct). That black topping that they shake on it? We tried one today with vanilla sauce and I'm not so certain that I liked it, and I certainly couldn't place what was in that black topping. If someone could put me out of my misery that would be great.
ski holidays
icing suger and ground poppy seeds...
snow report
So if all really does go to pot then just scrape it off and smoke it!
snow report
Megamum wrote:

So what clever person is going to tell me what they put on the reisengermknordel (spelling might not be quite correct). That black topping that they shake on it? We tried one today with vanilla sauce and I'm not so certain that I liked it, and I certainly couldn't place what was in that black topping. If someone could put me out of my misery that would be great.
Grated poppy seeds and sugar?
ski holidays
I think it is poppy seeds that they sprinkle on top, if I remember correctly. They crush it with sugar to make it finer sometimes.
Enjoy!
snow report
So now you are a smackhead, a sugar rush addict and a gluhwein alchie. Shocked And I thought skiing was so healthy rolling eyes
ski holidays
I remember thinking that topping looked like fag ash. I love gulasch soup but I could never cope with those fag-ash covered breast-like things.

Sounds like you're getting into the swing of it all. snowHead

They built an igloo in "Winter Holiday" didn't they? I don't remember that book too well.
snow report
Megamum wrote:

As you say, your spelling is not quite correct, it's Riesengermknödel ("Riese" means giant or huge!). Incidentally there is another word "Reise" but that means journey. "ie" in German is pronounced like "ee" in English, whereas "ei" in German is pronounced like "eye" Madeye-Smiley

As others have said, the topping is poppy seeds, see recipe for germknödel here
snow conditions
Before we go back to talking about skiing I would just like to tell you what FraserP, did with today's special Valentine meal. (A nice and tasty beef casserole) We had started skiing in Zauchensee when he said, "I have a horrible feeling that I unplugged the crock pot..." (Which the casserole was cooking in!!!) It had spoilt the whole holiday! wink We then had to come back tonight and Megamum had to make an emergency tea, which was spag bol. YUM!!!!

Today we drove over to a different ski resort called Zauchensee and it didn't stop snowing the whole time we were there. Eventually we ended up skiing on REAL powder and it felt like we were flying!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Thats all for now I'll catch up tomorrow
ski holidays
Quote:

"I have a horrible feeling that I unplugged the crock pot..."

Shocked O dear... glad the emergency tea was good though. The fresh powder made up for the lack of a casserole, I'm sure! Were the lift queues better? What's on the (skiing) menu for tomorrow?
snow report
As Minimum_1, said, I'd got up early prepared that beef casserole and I'd switched it on. Then a certain someone decided that he quite liked the look of the continental adapter I'd used for something else and apparently never plugged it back in!! I'm not washing up for the rest of the holiday I can tell you!

Anyhow as mentioned above we went up and started from Flachauwinkl and dropped down into Zauchensee. We picked up all three peaks whilst we were there before coming back over. We got to the top of Gamskogel 1 and picked up some really deadly flat light for about the first half a mile. I have decided that I intensely dislike flat light (loathe and hate might be better words). I'd sooner ski a really steep piste than ski a blue in flat light, esp. when its a strange blue. Talk about not knowing where you are, where you are going and most importantly where the edge of the piste is!! Skullie Mind you that was the dire point in an altogether good day (barring the crock pot incident!!). We got about 4"+ of powder at the top and early on in the day it was a joy to ski. Coming back this afternoon and it was getting a bit heavy, mounded and heaped esp. lower down. It was above the much harder base layer which had previously been well scraped and up the tops this sometimes surfaced where the powder was too dry to stick, but lower down as I said it was 'heavier' and did appear to be lasting above the harder base - it was hard work to ski through, but there was def. a good layer of softer top to deal with and that was a def. improvement on what must have been a fairly scraped base. It should make a great surface once it has been groomed tonight.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, lift queues were much easier where we were today.

The kids have another lesson tomorrow so we will have to stay Flachau based - mind you it's still gently snowing, so I'm betting there will be powder to ski tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, sounds terrific. Will the casserole be OK for tomorrow?
latest report
pam w, I hope so - it had been on the work surface for today and I didn't want to leave the meat uncooked for much longer, so I've switched it on to cook overnight instead. Then it should be possible to switch it off in the morning and just heat it up again for evening meal - a lot of casseroles are OK when they are reheated, so I'm crossing my fingers.

We also visited the Therm Amade tonight - I've never swum in an indoor salt pool before so that was a bit different - no smell of chlorine to sting the eyes. We swum outside whilst it snowed which was a bit sureal too, but it certainly eased away the midweek aches and pains.

I should have mentioned previously, but I do like all these lifts with pull down hoods on them, some even have heated seats!!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-02-12 22:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

I didn't want to leave the meat uncooked for much longer, so I've switched it on to cook overnight instead. Then it should be possible to switch it off in the morning and just heat it up again for evening meal

that's what I'd have done too - I bet it will be delicious, and all will be forgiven. wink
snow report
Megamum, the casserole will taste all the better for it!!
ski holidays
Minimum_1 wrote:
Eventually we ended up skiing on REAL powder and it felt like we were flying!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Thats all for now I'll catch up tomorrow

Loving your trip report minimums fingers crossed for more fresh snow for you snowHead
latest report
Lets get back to skiing,
Yesterday after we had been skiing in Zauchensee we went swimming in the swimming pool called Therm Amade. There was an outside pool that was really cold!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrr We went in that first. In the outdoor pool there was a circular part and suddenly there was a current that spun us round like we were in a whirlpool. It was REALLY fun!!! Then we swam in the large wave pool, and it kept getting in Minimum_2's mouth.
After that we went down the Black Hole. It was a giant water slide that twisted around, and around! (On the first go I screamed and screamed!!!! Laughing )

Today it is snowing and we are having our last ski lesson. It should be fun, as it is snowing at resort level at the moment and we are supposed to get a couple of inches of fresh snow.
ski holidays
Megamum, glad you are having fun Very Happy Heading up to Zauchensee today as it´s gonna be an epic powder day, still snowing hard here. I was thinking of some other places you may like that are very small, quiet and nearby, here are a few;
Russbach
Annaberg
Lungötz
Katchberg
Fageralm/Forstau
Abtenau
Filzmoos

Just need to double check if they are all on your pass but I think they are. As the others said, Schladming and Reiteralm are a must, but I fear you will find them busy with it being Fasching next week, the places are already very busy.

All of these are worth a day visit if you get fed up with the crowds, I know I have! Last ski day for me now til Carnival is over, going to get the touring kit out instead

wink

Minimum_1, it was fab skiing with you and Minimum _2.........just keep on getting those black seats Laughing xx
snow report
I am enjoying your sharing of the holiday. Thanks.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
I am enjoying your sharing of the holiday. Thanks.

snowHead
Me too.
snow conditions
So we've had 10-12 inches of fresh today. Early this morning the top of a lot of the hills were shut due to winds and blizzards. The Achterjet gondola opened this afternoon and we went up to see how things were. At the top was lovely fresh snow - it got slightly heavier further down, but was all huge fun to ski in. A higher chair also opened later this afternoon, but we didn't try it. The conditions were quite blizzardy in places, but the visibility was surprisingly good - I was expecting a horrendous flat light, but apart from places were the blizzards blew through the vis. was quite OK. It was def. 'do your boot clips up tight' skiing though, and I finally discovered what they made Elan Magfires for. The extra width and weight of them fully succeeding where something like my previous wave-magics would have been less capable- being neither heavy or wide enough to crash through the snow as the Magfires did. I don't know what it looked like, but I think I did some of my best skiing of the holiday on today's new snow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Great fun today and looking forward to tomorrow.
snow report
Megamum, sounds like a great day. And that nice casserole to look forward to! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy