Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze d'Oulx hotel or L2A chalet..?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi peeps,

I'm in charge (again) of booking for a large enough group, at least 14 possibly 18 or more, abitlitys ranging from beginners with 1 week under there belt and a couple of days in the fridge, to, hardened Coe faithfuls and itinerary baggin off piste freaks.

My heart says Les Deux Alpes although I have never been, what with free wine and beer thrown in and booking a basic chalet ( Anemones) out to ourselves it seems like a no brainer.

Or, the crumby looking Hotel Splendid in Sauze d'Oulx with a small pool and sauna etc which I'm not so sure of the slope suitability for the lesser ability folk of the group.

But the overall concensus is Italy as it might be a little kinder on the pockets and we have already done France a few times, so I need tools for convincing them otherwise, but either way we are after a high level resort for around £750 per person lift passes inc. for the start of February next year so any suggestions welcome or if anyone has chalets I wouldn't mind booking flights and transfers for everyone if I could come in on budget.

Anyways, I need to get this wrapped up ASAP so I can concentrate on booking my sneaky last minute deal for next month with the boys Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy is not that cheap (except for coffee!) and even if the drinks you'd have to buy at hotel bar prices are cheaper than equivalent hotel bar prices in France, they're bound to cost a lot more than free drinks. wink But I've never been to Sauze d'Oulx so have no idea as to how suitable the resort would be.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
L2A isn't as pricey as some other French resorts, expect to pay €5 for an apres-ski beer, €3 or €4 for a vin chaud - we were picking lunch up at the bottom of the slopes for around €15 for the two of us. So if costs whilst you're there are a concern, it's not too bad.

We got back last week from L2A and the now is absolutely fantastic. There's something for everyone, regardless of ability, and should easily come under your budget especially if you get offers like 2 for 1 lift passes or something like that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w,

We were in Sauze three weeks ago, we were regularly surprised how cheap things were. Adult 'all area' ski pass- £165, 3v's last year- £225. A pint regularly coming in at 3 Euro. We were in Selva over Xmas which was a little more expensive than Sauze.

Agreed, some of the larger Sauze hotels are very basic. Our main gripe was the slow, non-detaching two man lifts doted around the place, even the high volume lifts out of the resort. Confused

We had awesome snow conditions in Sestriere and Montgenvre. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have just come back from Sauze and the prices were not too bad at around 3 euro for euro lager and 6 euro for guinness. There are deals to be had in most bars though and good happy hours. We were a group of 14 people and the timid skiers were not impressed due to the complete lack of long cruising blue runs, in my opinion the reds were more like blues but they did have some steep pitches which were not for the 1 week skiers. None of the blue runs on the piste map in the sauze region were very good runs, the best day the timid skiers had was the day we went over to Montgenevre where there are some proper cruising blue runs. It really depends what your ski group is after but because of what we found we will not be going back. Other poor bits were the buses ran infrequently, drop you 200m downhill of the main lift and the runs were very poorly linked and the piste map is a thing of fiction, not a great experience all in all!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kaiser your experience was a similar of my 1985 trip, and the highlight of mine was the day trip to Montgenevre
hence me going the twice since snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cockerhoop,

Great if bluesy cruisey is your thing. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would heartily suggest that you go here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194891-d530026-Reviews-Albergo_Martin-Sauze_d_Oulx_Salice_d_Ulzio_Province_of_Turin_Piedmont.html

Email Max on info@hotelmartin.com and ask him about availability for your dates. I am taking a group of lads there in March, and he gave us an excellent rate including transfers from Turin airport, he will also sort any kit hire and lessons you need. The only extra benefit I could find by going with an established T/O was that they book the flights, but that ain't hard to do...

If the reviews on Trip Advisor aren't enough to convince you about the hotel, then I don't know what it is you can possibly want snowHead

I've been Sauze for the last 3 years now, and learnt to ski there, so I can attest to the quality of the learning slopes, along with the availability for the more advanced skiiers in the group. There is more than 400km to go at on your lift pass - which I think is an absolute bargain.

I'll be there from Sunday - can't wait!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not been to L2A but have done a week in Sauze. Take or leave the village & hotels, the ski area is fantastic and I'd definitely go back for the slopes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in L2A over New Year, actually for France the prices and apres ski are pretty decent. It's a long time now since I skied in Sauze but wasn't staying in the resort. I find Italy uniformly cheaper than France (I'm talking mainstream resorts in the main) classic example is Le Rosiere and La Thulie, bottle of water on the mountain in Le Ros 4 euro over the border half as much, same with coffee, food, hot chocolate, was paying 7 euro for a beer in Le Ros 2.50 in Italy (this was 2009).

If you're booking this early I'd expect if you go with a UK TO you'll get 2 for 1 lift passes so you should get something nice for £750. I really enjoyed the skiing in L2A but could leave everything else, it was a last minute trip.

To confuse you more there are loads of resorts I'd rate higher for what you want in both countires and my default answer to these is you really should try Austria Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jirac18 -I completely disagree with your quote .."the ski area is fantastic", I have been to 20 plus resorts around europe and the Milky Way is one of the worst linked areas I have ever been to. Add to that the generally poor lift system, slow 2 seater chairs and drag lifts in key areas, poor bus service, lifts from the resort in the wrong place and you have what is in my opinion a less than fantastic ski resort. Each to their own I guess but I definitely will not be going back to Sauze!! I actually agree with Grizwald, Austria is a much better option.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's about 8-9 years since I was in Sauze and from what I hear and been confirmed by Kaiser846, the place needs some serious investment in its infrasturcture so things haven't changed a great deal. I reckon it will suit intermediates fine but has a woeful rep for beginners, being southernly although the conditions were fine when I was there it has a relatviely poor snow record and a lack of snow cannons to help out in lean periods-but after this year god knows what we'll get next!

All reosrts have their pros and cons, I actually didn't pick up on the bit where you said there were some advanced skiers in your party on the first read. For France I really like Serre Chevalier and it's one that springs to mind that would suit a varied group and also Le Plagne, Les Arc and of course the 3V just to name a few. For Italy the Dolomites are beautiful but a bit lacking for off pisters, Cervinia may be a good choice as the advanced can get over to Zermatt which has some awesome off piste.

For Austria there are endless resorts and in Feb should be no snow issues, I really like Saalbach and is great for varied groups as is Ischgl and will be making a return to Kitzbuhel this weekend it was 14 years since I was last there so looking forward to it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just returned from Les 2Alpes yesterday, prices for France excellent could easily get a beer for 4 Euros food prices on a par with Scotland.. British Ski Instructor who has been out there for more than 10 years says that the prices this year are the besat she can remember due to competition and numbers of reducing skiers over the pat 3 years going to Austria and Italy. Happy hours and 2 for 1 offers on food everywhere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaiser846, they have updated some new lifts this year I think. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as we did, lifts not particulary slow IMO never queued, had great conditions, linked up without any issues whatsoever to Sestriere, Claviere, San Sicario etc. Take as you find I guess.

This year I went to La Plagne with family staying in centre and that was great for beginners and had loads of intermediate piste and off piste too. Bit expensive tho for eating and drinking out though so thankfully had half board but maybe worth the OP looking at
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jirac18 - Link to Sestriere is a ride down in a gondola no skiing at all unless you want to hike half the way, link to Sansicario is okay but half the reds over that side were shut for no apparent reason, we have just come back (2 weeks ago) and lifts compared to say Ischgl or St Anton or 3V are just poor. If the Milky way wanys to compete with the big boys it needs to update and get some nice long cruising blues to appeal to a diverse group of skiers which ours is. Glad you enjoyed but I just think there are loads better out there. Mind you I don't go to France any more due to exhorbitant prices, we will stick to Austria in the future.
latest report
Quote:

Mind you I don't go to France any more due to exhorbitant prices

Quote:

Just returned from Les 2Alpes yesterday, prices for France excellent could easily get a beer for 4 Euros food prices on a par with Scotland.
snow report
Pam - Who the hell wants to go to Scotland lol
snow conditions
Thoughts swinging a little towards Serre Chevalier, I have the World Snowboard guide and it scores a perfect 10/10!

Yeah, were mostly boarders so La plagne is out as apparently a liitle flat in too many places, and probably not going to go to Sauze after all as theres just too many factors weighing in against it (runs, lifts, snow and accomodation nuff said) WE hardened ones can deal with whatevers thrown at us although slow lifts are a pain in the ass! But cruisy blues is a MUST as I made the error of not catering for the beginner boarders last time and they never really came on a great deal IMO

But I am just waiting for a final negotiation price from the TO for an all inclusive chalet with all the trimmings in L2A so spending money shant be an issue and anyways my daypack is loaded with with breakfast leftovers, flask o tea and tinned fish etc, although maybe i'll forget about the fish as the tin burst last time leaking some very fragant oils over the contents of my bag Embarassed HAHA
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy