Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Din on new bindings question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got some new skis ....Lucky me! Now I hope this makes sense. .....I got the Din set as usual BUT I don't know whether its because they are brand new but they are so stiff to click my boots into. I am having to really push with my full weght on one leg to get my boots to click in. This worries me somewhat . Does this mean they will need more force to release, say in a fall, and therefore I should set the din lower until the bindings "wear in " a bit or should I stick with the setting I normally use and assume the skis will release when they should??

Also I have set the din low eg 3 and the boots click in about as normally as I am used to on skis I have hired in the past. I have never had brand new skis before so don't know what to expect as regards stiff bindings . BTW my boots were new too last season. I found when demoing some skis that my boots needed a fair old stamp to get into bindings.

Any advice or experience on this much appreciated. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LizzieB, I would just lower the DIN, then try the skis. If you get false releases when you don't need them just raise by half a point. Keep on doing this until they only release when you want them to. The tables can only offer a guide after all.

I alter mine myself and do this process. Will crank them up a touch sometimes in certain situations though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doesn't sound like they're adjusted right for your boot sole length. Who mounted the bindings and adjusted them in the first place? Were they sent to you pre-mounted to a boot sole length supplied by you?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hairybiker I got the skis in a shop, not online, and took my boots in so you'd think they set them up properly . Its a shop with an excellent reputation here on Snowheads so wouldn't want to question their expertise!! I am going to Milton Keynes snowslope soon so I may ask one of the guys on the hire desk to have a quick check for me.

Scarpa...yes I think thats what I will do when me and OH go to italy soon. Thanks! I won't be skiing anything too extreme tho!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LizzieB, If they have been set by a technician to the reccomended din for you they are correct, probably you are not standing in the centre of the boot or they are a different brand from any you have tried before particularly if you have only hired. To alter them up or down you risk injury.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Different bindings have different release mechanisms around a forest of patents so although some may feel stiffer than others the DIN scale is an international standard so assuming the shop set them up OK.....all is calm in the force.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic, Yeah.. good point, I am just a bit twitchy about din release since OH had a bad ski injury and bindings didn't release for whatever reason . I think his worries are feeding into me! I certainly don't want to risk injury due to din too low...prob best to check boot fit to binding once more just to be sure. Then I am going to forget about it and just enjoy my new skis..can't wait!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LizzieB, they probably will not touch your bindings on the rental desk due to liability issues. You would be better off going into the workshop at ellis brigham and asking if they will have a look. They have sorted me out a few times (with replacement brakes) and at no charge. I am quite happy shopping there for such great service .

Just be aware that to adjust the din setting you need to change both toe and the heel of each binding. I say this because sometime people only identify the dial on the toe piece and consequently do not adjust the heel.

When you have used lots of different bindings they do tend to feel a little different. But there is absolutely no harm in checking it out at a shop.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LizzieB, Check the forward pressure adjustment! If you don't konw what this is then advise what make/model bindings you have & I'll advise.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sometimes I let down the tyre pressures on front wheels my Porsche, even though they tell me what they should be on the door jamb, when I go in the ditch I pump them up again. See above suggestions

spyderjon, You are going to check her tyres over the internet perhaps?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LizzieB, It's not unusual. The Atomic bindings I have on one set of skis are a lot harder to click into than the Fischers I have on another set. The DIN is the same on both and I have successfully (if that's the correct word) tested the release mechanisms on both sets whilst skiing (or attempting to).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, Hi Only just logged on again since sat...........I have the Atomic Affinity Pure skis with XTL09 Bindings....I don't know what the forward pressure adjustment is I must say, so any advice will be welcome Thanks.

According to jtr who posted above, Atomic bindings do seem to be harder to click into...maybe that is simply it!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LizzieB, Whilst it's true that some bindings are harder to get in to than others the forward pressure adjustment is critical to the correct functioning of the binding. IIRC your binding is a rebadged Sallie Z series. On the left side of the heel there is an inverted arrow which, when the boot is installed, should point to the centre of the three engraved lines on the rail below it. If it's pointing the right hand end/side of the lines then you have too much forward pressure which will make it harder to click in to the bindings.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LizzieB, Best to check but I think the Atomic XTL09 bindings do not have a separate forward pressure adjustment (the similar XT0 bindings don't). You check the forward pressure by clicking the boot into the bindings and checking that the V notch on the side of the rear binding lines up within the three lines on the lower part of the rear binding. If it doesn't then take it to a ski shop and they should be able to set it up by adjusting the boot sole length settings (although I've never had to do this). The Atomic bindings I have are the XTOs and they (and the similar Salomon equivalents - same binding different label) are noticeably harder to click into than my Fischers and, indeed the Atomic Neox bindings I used to have.

.... edit - written whilst spyderjon was replying!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy