Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Got the bug (again) really badly. Easter holidays advice please - newbie - be kind!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,
I've been lurking for quite a while now, searching so many topics for answers. You seem like a friendly bunch! I'd really appreciate any advice. I've had quite a few glasses of wine, so please excuse typos.

We went on our first family skiing holiday (me and the OH skied a lot BC (before children!)) in January with Esprit Ski to La Rosiere. It was brilliant, everything we expected and more. The only prolem was, 8 weeks before we went, my hubby had a really bad accident on his mountain bike which meant he wasn't able to ski. Poor bloke had to sit in the chalet (or bar) while me and our 2 lads had a fabulous time on the slopes. Anyway to cut a long story short, we want to go again at Easter so OH can ski this time, but on a budget.

Has anyone got any words of words of wisdom?

Cheapest resort with snow at Easter?

Will the kids be horrified at lessons with someone other that esprit ski reps in them? (they are 7 and 5)

Best companys for packages?

How late shall we leave it for best deal?

How easy is it to drive to the alps if we can get a package?

Thanks in advance

Jolo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jolo, welcome to SHs. snowHead

Quote:

How easy is it to drive to the alps if we can get a package?

It's easy enough except at half term and other v busy times - Easter is much quieter and there's also less (but not nil) chance of big snow meaning you need to use snow chains etc.

As for the other questions, a budget holiday will certainly be a lot more hassle than Esprit (I could never afford outfits like that, but reading reports here of how they work, it's obviously far, far, easier than DIY with kids).

for the cheapest holiday you should maybe look at renting an apartment direct (e.g. from an owner, not a company) in one of the smaller resorts.

This thread might be useful for you http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86486#1980214
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jolo, welcome to Snowheads. We've been going out at Easter for a few years now and have always had a great time. This year we are going to Risoul in southern alps for the third year running plus a week in Ste Foy. We've found Risoul great value and fun family skiing, but our kids are a bit older (now 12 and 9). Snow has always been fine and it's a good area, however I think you'd want to check the ski school first, we've used Skicool who have been v good but you will find a mix of french and english.
We always drive and find it no problem but we are less than an hour from the tunnel. We've generally booked with Erna Low who we have found great and they tend to have some good deals and prices include Flexiplus on Eurotunnel which is great.
Another company we've used many times are Snowbizz to Puy st Vincent, good value and great for kids (esp younger kids).
So - look around, try Erna Low and any other self catering companies (I've heard Peak Retreats are good also) who offer the Eurotunnel inclusive, I'm sure you'll find a good deal with a bit of searching.
Tell your hubby to slow down on his mtb or get a road bike!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you want cheap or reasonable price so you are not with lads? Self catering in Tignes would be cheap and cheerful, one of the best resorts in the world for skiing he would have to catch up in not the best resort for beginners. Val Claret in the high rise mini flats, but everyone has done it and you have to start your real skiing sometime, have a flat for six for four people, park over the road take all the kit with you, stock up in Bourg before the wind up the hill the things you need fresh. Moan in the Alpaca in Lac on Monday night if you are a SGB member about the size of the flat and have I got slight altitude problems in Val C? to all the old Brit soaks Marvellous.

You can do it all yourself, ferry or train, who is going to drive in what, book the "mini flat" half the price of a package but it is hard work. I once got a coach there and back £40 return and a flat £16 a head for a week. It can be done but you have to be young and resilient to put up with the latter and possibly a little more experienced about the pitfalls, but research costs nothing and the "experts" on here will help with your considerations.

Or you could do my favourite and go to Club Med for the week, this would solve all your problems they do absolutely everything for you.

But.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Look at Erna Low for accommodation only, decline the flexiplus Eurotunnel bit and get the regular fare (if you have any Tesco clubcard points hanging about redeem them now!). That's as near as we've ever got to a tour operator and our kids were 9 & 5 when we started skiing. They're now more useful teenagers which is good because you do acquire more kit very quickly Toofy Grin
As pam w says, it's much quieter at Easter. Brits seems to like it but the French (presuming you are thinking of France again) often prefer to holiday elsewhere then. You will get lots of recommendations here for instructors in many resorts (for example, ESF are popular in La Rosiere but not always in other places Toofy Grin )

You will cope Very Happy It's great fun planning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jolo, welcome to snowHeads
We've skied from Tignes four times at Easter because of its reliable late snow (Easter is actually a bit earlier this year so the need for altitude may be less of an issue), drove down three times and trained to Bourg once.
Cynic's comments are accurate (if a little difficult to understand - not sure if he was a little "over-tired" wink- we have stayed quite cheaply self catering accommodation booked via the Tignes web-site and taken a load of food up the mountain with us from the SuperU in Bourg. Lift passes in Espace Killy however are not cheap, so a smaller resort would save there.

However, it is definitely easier if you take some sort of package - we have used Erna Low in the past - for a trip to la Rosiere incidentally.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look at the Esprit prices for 7 April. Family of 4 from £1,400. By the time you've crossed the channel, driven (don't forget the tolls - see viamichelin site and the cost of snowchains) and rented an apartment and bought food... and spent a night in a hotel on the way - possibly two...

http://www.espritski.com/offers/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with James the Last. We drove for the first time this year and it cost more than £500 - around £130 for tolls, £270 for fuel, £45 one night in an Etap hotel on the way there (drove back in one go) and around £60 for snow chains & shovel, £70 for ferry (tho you can get Tunnel on Tesco vouchers if you have them). I suppose you need to weigh it up against the cost of airport parking and ski carriage if you have them though.

Had we not chosen to increase the cost of our Esprit holiday this year by driving, the package would have been £999 for 2 adults/2 children, booked around a week before, so I think it is definitely worth looking at late deals around 1 to 2 weeks before you go. Trouble with taking children is that it's difficult to cut costs if you want childcare/children's lessons,. We travelled (semi)indepently for around 5 years with children and found the cost of in resort nurseries/nannies just as expensive as Esprit and not always as good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your replies Very Happy

James the last - I had seen that cheaper deal with Esprit, but had read that by the time they add all the room and flight supplements it is no longer a good deal - guess I should just bite the bullet and ring them and find out.

reh stuff - I think Esprit is really good value for money, more so out of school holiday times, but seeing as I'm a part time teacher rolling eyes I have to go in school holidays (I fluked 2 days off for our Jan hol and don't think I can get away with it again!)

We've been with Erna Low before we had the kids and know them to be good, I shall look into them again.

What about 8th April? Do you think there will still be package offers if I leave it till a few weeks before then?

Any other resort recommendations?

jolo
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jolo, I shall be at Les Deux Alpes for Easter, 6th year in a row. Conditions are usually very good and it's reasonably priced compared to many large, high french resorts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I'd agree that LdA would be a good choice.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jolo, have a look at Crystal, Inghams or Neilson.

Crystal and Inghams have had some deals with free childs places. We got a free childs place for a trip to Kitzbuhel with Crystal going out on 31st March - first week of kids Easter holidays. Inghams had some places in Andorra with free childs places, and free childs lift passes - makes a hell of a saving. We've been to Andorra in April and had great spring conditions.

When we've looked at Neilson before they haven't really had any free childs places but have had good packages for lift passes, lessons and kit hire.

Check this page for details of hotels with free child places with Inghams.... http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/information/families/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jolo, while you can always cut costs, there is no such thing as a cheap ski holiday in my view. Certainly not with kids where you have to pay everything for them!

We've been at Jan and Easter the last few years, as you've discovered once is never enough! If your kids are reasonable skiers and you're confident, do they really need lessons again in the same year? Ski together for the week, that will save you a fair few quid.

We drive, yes there is a cost to this as stated, but it does mean we shop in the valley where cheaper, and are happy to self-cater for the week.

Ultimately its what suits - we like the drive and our happy to cook, but if that doesn't appeal you just need to book as later as you dare
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If your kids are reasonable skiers and you're confident, do they really need lessons again in the same year? Ski together for the week, that will save you a fair few quid.

+1. There aren't many years when they'll be happy to ski with you (except in a charitable frame of mind......) so make the most of it now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More lessons you have in the early stages the better skier you will become, don't stint on lessons.
snow report
Cynic, while you are correct, lessons are expensive when you're the one paying for them all. For a 2nd family holiday, not long after the first, I think there is as much to be gained from skiing as a family.

More lessons could even be counter productive for some children in that they may lose the thrill of skiing as its yet more lessons.

This is based on an assumption that children are of a reasonable standard i.e. not complete beginners
latest report
I think our kids did amazingly well after one week of skiing (don't they all?) They loved it and seem very confident, but I still think they would benefit from lessons again - they are on a roll! Very Happy

At the moment I feel as if I have so much information that I don't know how to collate it all. We can book flights from Newcastle (where we live) to chambery quite cheaply, so are thinking where is the best snow sure place to go, self catering, good ski school, cheap lift passes, from there?

jolo
latest report
Quote:

I still think they would benefit from lessons again

practically everyone would benefit from lessons - I agree. Was just a suggestion to try to keep the price down.

Do you have a notional budget?
Quote:

What about 8th April? Do you think there will still be package offers if I leave it till a few weeks before then?

yes, I'd think there will be package offers, and if by any chance there weren't, you'd have no problem booking up DIY. Provided you're flexible, there's every reason to leave it till much nearer the time. If (as seems likely at the moment) the late season snow is good, you'll be spoilt for choice. Without help with the kids you'll want accommodation VERY close to the ski school meeting place, and a resort which makes it easy for you to do a few hours when they are in ski school, then meet them afterwards. Lots of places would fit the bill - but not all.
snow report
I know people are beginning to think I work for the tourist board, I don't, but take a look at Vallandry

Part of Les Arcs area, but has lots of self catering places, most of them very close to bottom of lift, some lovely runs above Vallandry and in the bowl for kids to play in trees and on bumps. Plus plenty of skiing for adults when kids in lessons
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy