Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarder learning to ski

Poster: A snowHead
I've been boarding for 5 years, but have decided to give skiing a try. Off to Switzerland end of next week and have ski hire and lessons booked. I'm leaving my board at home so it doesn't tempt me to give up!

So, what should I expect? Are any boarding skills transferrable to skiing, or should I expect a week of constant falling over and pain?

Any tips appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should expect run over the end of snowboards in the queue for the lift and if possible take everyones eye out with your ski poles.

You may also want to call your kids Tarquin.

(PS I am a snowboarder and was very tempted to learn to ski last year due to the rubbish conditions, wish I had now too!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I found the change-over pretty straightforward to be honest. You already know how an edge works in the snow. You know you need to get your weight forward to make a turn. Some things are different (and a little counter-intuitive) but if you're taking lessons then you'll get through these pretty easily.

I still have no idea what the fecking sticks are for though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The two main things that translate are balance and edge control.

Compared to boarding, basic skiing is a walk in the park. Getting good is another matter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I still have no idea what the fecking sticks are for though.

Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It will be crap, you will beg for your board back
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Compared to boarding it's easy, that's why more people ski Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, easy to learn the basics of skiing but pushing through to looking and being good take some time. Don't expect to fall over too much, it's no where near as tough as the first week on a board!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was a fairly crap skier when I started boarding and marginally better when I took up skiing again so I guess it must do something. It certainly helps you get used to the idea of having less than perfect edge grip at times.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife has started skiing after many years boarding, she has progressed really fast as she already has experience of all the types of runs, snow conditions, etc. so doesn't have the in-built fear that most beginners have. Get some lessons though, otherwise you'll end up skiing like me Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, and she hasn't got to grips with the fecking stick thingys either Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you have a fridge near you (casteford/snozone etc) you could always take a few pre trip lessons

i learnt to snowboard AFTER skiing so i cant give any specific advice, but I found learning the 2nd discipline easier than the first
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After converting myself

The Pros

- sticks help in those annoying flat, slightly up hill sections when you run out of speed on your board

-you can easily stand up with sticks while waiting for the OH, no more chilly back bottom

-Lifts chair/button/T-bar are all easier on skies

The Cons.

-ski boots

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pape100, I agree!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We don't want people converting to Mod go back to your leathers.
snow report
pape100 wrote:
After converting myself

The Pros

- sticks help in those annoying flat, slightly up hill sections when you run out of speed on your board

-you can easily stand up with sticks while waiting for the OH, no more chilly back bottom

-Lifts chair/button/T-bar are all easier on skies

The Cons.

-ski boots

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Whats wrong with ski boots? If you get them fitted properly you can spend all day in them. I could sleep in them if I had to!
ski holidays
joebh123, you've never worn snowboard boots, have you? Twisted Evil
snow report
After a decade on-board, I also have to learn to ski this year to assist with Sideways_Jnr next season...
Fancy the learn-to-ski-inna-day thing at Hemel, don't want to waste real mountain time on a redundant technique now do we. Twisted Evil Question is, how tight to I have to wear my pants during the lesson, I assume VERY, as i'm just learning, before moving up to EXTREMELY.

Oh, and from my experience, the stick-things are for scratching up the topsheets of peoples boards in lift queues, or flailing about with on cat-tracks to prevent people overtaking.
ski holidays
The sticks are for popping the heel bindings of French teenagers who push in front of you in the lift queue. Toofy Grin

Other than that, I would add "icy pistes" to pape100's list of things that are better with skis.
snow report
pape100,welcome to SH. Great first post Laughing
snow conditions
One use for the feckin sticks is giving snowboarders a tow across the flat bits.... wink
ski holidays
pam w, good point Laughing Laughing
latest report
pam w, ok, point of order y'honour. I have NEVER been effectively towed by a skier. They offer a pole to hold onto, and then can't move themselves, because they're on the flat too and can't pole along effectively with 1 stick and the weight of 2 people. Oh they'll TRY to help, sure, and I appreciate it but it doens't work... and they get all huffy if you accidently pull their baskets off.

Now, if i've run out of momentum and been becalmed on the flats, i'll boot-pack it, and offer to tow skiers, and I've managed to tow 3 at once before now (admittedly 2 of 3 were little kids) you hold front binding heel, skier holds rear.
ski holidays
Having threatened, for a couple of seasons, to make him ski, at the S8BB last week, we arranged for someone in Amsterdam airport to nick Harrisontherabbit's snowboard and bank card then we would only lend him money for ski-hire Twisted Evil

He spent 2 days looking much more 'evolved' than usual, then his board turned up and he regressed rolling eyes
By that time though he was descending red pistes under better control than I've ever seen him (or anyone else) do on a snowBoard.

Despite my attempts to 'help' him, I now feel the need to sleep with one eye open Confused

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 13-02-12 12:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Richard_Sideways, I get Mrs Paulio to 'pull me along the flat bits' quite often.

If the towing skier can 'skate' well rather than pole, and not all skiers can, you can get a good slingshot along the flat. Very useful.
snow conditions
paulio, yep, I do this with my boarder friends (when they're not to proud to take assistance). I'm not sure why skating isn't more widely taught. It's extremely useful on flats/uphill, less tiring than poling, looks approx 300% better than polling and and a great balance exercise.
snow report
It's also not all that hard. I just figured it out for myself one day. None of my other skiing friends can do it. They always arrive at chairlifts several minutes after me, knackered, with arms like Popeye.
snow report
paulio, you're a lucky boy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If the towing skier can 'skate' well rather than pole, and not all skiers can, you can get a good slingshot along the flat. Very useful.

I'm not a bad skater on skis, but wouldn't want to have to tow anybody too far. Usually it's on one particular flat bit where, with a slingshot, they can then sort if for themselves.

I board a bit, so I count myself as a neutral here. But there is simply no argument about the boots. I have no problem walking for some distance, carrying a board under my arm.

However, XC boots are even better. I can drive in my XC boots, but not in my snowboard boots, because of lack of ankle movement.
snow conditions
I prefer my ski boots to my snowboarding boots.
ski holidays
admin wrote:
He spent 2 days looking much more 'evolved' than usual....

For a small fee, I could be persuaded to post the video.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:
.......You already know how an edge works...

So side-slipping should be easy to master. Turning on skis would be another thing entirely.
snow conditions
The 'knowing how an edge works' thing is a definite advantage (speaking as someone who went the other way, learning to board after already being a semi-competent skier).

You know

1) weight towards the nose, not towards the tail.
2) tilt the equipment so that the edge sits at an angle with the ground, don't run it completely flat.
3) apply your weight progressively, don't just stamp on it.
4) let the edge do what it's designed to do, don't force it and kick it round except in some kind of an emergency.

all that sort of stuff. It's a definite, significant, advantage to understand some of the physics of it all.
ski holidays
To add to the list of things that will help learning to ski:

1. You hopefully wont be scared of the mountain, or steeper slopes a little out of your ski comfort zone
2. You can read the terrain and know about differant types of snow
3. You will understand how chair lifts or tows work
4. You have the balance thing sorted and get what an edge does when you apply pressure

Speaking as someone who can board and ski, skiing is a lot less messing around, its quicker and skis are so much better on pistes, ice, moguls and touring.

Having said that 2 foot of fresh powder, I would always grab the board.
snow conditions
adie, [quote]
Having said that 2 foot of fresh powder, I would always grab the board.

Is that because snowboarding is easier and you need good technique on skis?
ski holidays
I always offer snowboarders a pole to grab hold of on the flats ....... but never ski close enough so that they can actually get a grip - it's the thought that counts. Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Cynic, haha, exactly. The "plateau" is relatively easy to get to on a SB. It's quite tricky to tell the difference between a 3 week snowboarder and a 3 year one unless they start pulling tricks. my SB mates openly admit that's one of the attractions. Skiing on the other hand, never ending learning curve.
ski holidays
When we were at uni and all the boys were snowboarding and all the girls were skiing, if it got to a long, flat bit, the boarders took their boards off and walked, pulling the skiers along by their ski poles (presumably hoping this would increase chances of pulling later on). Laughing Those were the days...
latest report
Dr John, that depends how seriously you take it. I'm on about my 4th week of boarding I should think, and I feel like I'm at the start of a longish curve still. Yeah I can 'get down anything', just like I can on skis, but that doesn't feel like the zenith of my achievements yet!
snow report
Dr John, If you devote the time to learn the techniques, you can get through the plateau stages as surely as you can in in skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy