Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top Skis of 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I'm heading to chamonix next week and am mightily excited about the amount of snow thats been seen out in europe so far this year. Any recommendations on what the best all mountain skis are this season with a little more emphasis on powder than normal I guess. I'm a pretty good skier, but never really had the opportunity to do any back country so my off piste is usually limited to inbetween or around the pistes.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go test some Whitedots while you're there I guess.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mine. 3 year old Missions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr John wrote:
Mine. 3 year old Missions.
Dr John, [quote]

I would agree
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
modernalchemist, Volkl Mantra, Whitedot Preacher, High Society Freeride and Scott Crusade are all good all-mountain skis, and all quite different from one another
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was in Chamonix 2 weks ago and got a pair of Black Crows Corvus from Sanglard - amazing skis: Perfect in the powder but really surprisingly easy on piste as well, couldn't recommend them highly enough and Cham's probably the only place you'll find them for hire.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
modernalchemist, If you are in Chamonix visit the Zag Pro Shop and demo a pair. It sounds like the Big84 would suit you, but its worth trying the Slap, which although is classified as their PRO model, handles pretty well on the piste and is fantastic in the powder.

More details here: http://www.zagskis.com/en/index.html

All the other skis are good too...looks like you have your work cut out!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Salomon Czar if you turn your feet? Put high plate binding, Baron lovely
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jma wrote:
Was in Chamonix 2 weks ago and got a pair of Black Crows Corvus from Sanglard - amazing skis: Perfect in the powder but really surprisingly easy on piste as well, couldn't recommend them highly enough and Cham's probably the only place you'll find them for hire.

I find myself totally tempted by their skis, were you on the 185s?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh, I hope the skis are better than their website!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was on the 175.4s from 2011 - the shorter length probably made them a bit easier on the hardpack but this length ski floated in the soft stuff fine with me - even though their website describes them as for ligter skiers (I'm c.110kg by the way, so definitely not a lighter skier!) the days before I'd been on a pair of dynastar legend sultan 85s (also 2011) which are superb skis but heavily biased towards the piste.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Global Ski pass have a top 10 or top 20 skis of the year so maybe that would be worth checking out ? Although the Euro English is a little confusing they do seem to know what they are talking about.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Patch wrote:
modernalchemist, Volkl Mantra, Whitedot Preacher, High Society Freeride and Scott Crusade are all good all-mountain skis, and all quite different from one another

Good calls, although I haven't tried the Scotts>
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh wrote:
jma wrote:

I find myself totally tempted by their skis, were you on the 185s?

New topsheets are very sexy too...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try the Scott Venture - best ski in their range (sits in between the Mission and Crusade) and is one of the best All Mountain Skis out there at the moment.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
New topsheets are very sexy too...

Yer, I'm tempted by the Sevun or the 185 Corvus mounted with Dukes as a resort ski. The 196 Corvus is frankly a bit scary!
snow report
meh, MTFU. go big or go back wink Laughing
ski holidays
Dot. wrote:

I'd be at the bottom of most mountains in Iceland before I'd put in a full turn. NehNeh
latest report
meh wrote:
Dot. wrote:

I'd be at the bottom of most mountains in Iceland before I'd put in a full turn. NehNeh

Thats a good thing wink
snow report
What Spinout, said. The little ski shop at Valorcine rent Crows and sell s/h one cheaply.
snow report
The Preachers are an all-rounder I'd recommend if you can ski a bit.
The basses are rock solid, hard and fast. This is often over-looked when selecting skis. Cheap basses can be more trouble that the saving, IMO, so Preacher basses take rock shots, IME.
latest report
I've got a bit of a thing for these badboys:
http://www.elanskis.com/en/technology/amphibio.html
snow conditions
modernalchemist, Imo, don't get sucked in by the fat fat rocker meme.

If these are your everyday skis, how many everydays do you ski real powder?

Not very often I submit.

Volkl Mantras rock...
ski holidays
under a new name,
Well, not much pow in Whistler at the mo, and the big fat rockered skis are still the skis of choice
Unfotrtunately I am temporarily (hopefully) broken after an accidental high speed launch today - the big fat skis landed themselves alright but the person attached to them suffered quite a bit! Madeye-Smiley

I also have Mantras, and yes they do rock (just not as much as my big fat skis) and are also bombproof. Gotamas are great skis too.
ski holidays
stuarth, Sorry to hear that, I hope you mend swiftly and well.
latest report
Another vote for trying the Prachers Toofy Grin Really great all mountain ski

I was also talking with the Black Crows guys yesterday at the Slide trade show and they do look very cool, plus have heard lots of good things about them. I am hoping to test next seasons Nocha the Corvus and Navis next month in La Tania. The guy on the stand was super nice and prepared to bring the skis over to us when we are in La Tania so got to give him top marks on service. Very Happy
latest report
My weapon of choice this year has been Preachers which I love. A ski I haven't tried but seems to be very popular is the Salomon BBR. modernalchemist, You will defiantly be in the right place in chamonix as there are lots of places with exotic skis to test.
ski holidays
jma, Blackcrows also in Verbier and Samoens
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Try the Scott Venture - best ski in their range (sits in between the Mission and Crusade) and is one of the best All Mountain Skis out there at the moment.

I'd second this. A bit fatter and with more umph (technical term) than the Mission.

Perfect for those of use who think we are the mutts nutss but actually spend all our lives behind desks, no longer have the legs for charging skis and only get out for two weeks a year, i.e. 90% of the UK market!
snow report
modernalchemist, White Dot Redeemers, they rip! Thers a WD hire shop in Cham I understand who do demo skis, worth a look...............maybe Doc on here could enlighten you where it is?

If the snow is more cruddy then go for Volkl Mantras, they bash through the crust and are brilliant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy