Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are your racing kids up to?

Poster: A snowHead
The 'summer' season makes me laugh. I don't know why as I am british. My son (also british) watched Oski's vids with amusement/amazement at the summer skiing. I explained it was plastic carpet and he was even more amused

Good luck to him for the upcoming weeks. Monsterboy (mine) would quite like to email him..........

Suspect we will get terrible conditions at norquay this weekend. Ice and rain I think
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Summer season here is training camps at Juvass or Folgefonna on the glaciers before and after the summer holidays. Then dryland training until the snow returns.

Autumn half term will likely be a chance to go to Sölden or Hintertux. If so it will be the first time Harald participates.

If its any consolation, conditions here are getting pretty awful. +15C by day, although thankfully still frost most nights. Our hill is melting away. We have our 100 year jubilee race/event this weekend, then club Champs on Tuesday and two kids races + Norwegian Ski-Cross Championships next weekend - but conditions are looking very sketchy that far ahead Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, we too have a summer season; its just the summer race season that is totally alien to us. I reckon you Brits in britain must have great gate technique and so long as you get decent on-snow time too- it has to be looking better.

Our club kids will typically dryland train for a few weeks in June and then from Sept to snow start. Our son will probably attend only around 50% of sessions as he is doing other sports, (socccerrr and a touch of hockey). Kids don't generally do any organised sports during July and Aug; it just seems to be how it is. The snow season may also be extended beyond the 10th April end date , but not the race season. They may well ski at Sunshine until mid-May, although again he will miss at least half the days due to other sports.

Weather set to rain for race this weekend I think; Norquay is just too low. I'm at Sunshine with my daughter and the snow should be good up there. Don't know what happened to our La Nina cold winter!! Knowing the tough competition this weekend, I suspect son won't podium , but he has a really good chance of 4th or 5th.

squawker, sounds very busy.....have fun
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We don't do that much specific dryland training here, because they're skiing all year round so we never really have a close season. We do have training cycles though - so in the Autumn when there's no racing they'll do a lot more work without gates for example. oski does play football (2 x training a week, usually 1 x match) too and also plays tennis a couple of times each week, plus he does athletics and rugby for school, and other things like climbing and kayaking when we can fit them in, so he doesn't ever sit still for long! When I do get him pinned down for a few minutes I'll get him to write something to Monsterboy!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 16-03-12 9:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My son is 7 and started dry slope racing at Snowtrax, Dorset this winter. He's enjoying it, the kits getting expensive but it's fun for mum and dad as well as him. Looking forward to taking part in his first race soon. Practice is 0830 til 10 every Saturday. There's a mid week training session too but it's a little late for a school night.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty,

Sounds great. A warning though, the kit gets more and more expensive.........but its still great fun for all the family.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty - actually if he's only seven and you've already got things like pole and shin guards (which last for ever) then it's not too bad for a while yet - it's at about 130cm skis that the prices jump up dramatically.

There are usually lightly used second user race skis for younger ones (at that age they grow out of them before they wear them out) available if you look around. Look out for club run ski sales, for sale/wanted ads at your slope or in a club newsletter (or just look at what the slightly older racers are on and ask their parents if they'd be willing to sell when they move on to bigger ones). It's also worth keeping an eye on http://www.skizog.co.uk/ for used race kit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For us the equipment is not the expensive bits (although this too mounts) . The club fees, ski passses and race fees are the really expensive bits. Then the races and training is sometimes away requiring hotels etc and then we get ski passes too when we race away. It all adds up ; but then we are all doing something we enjoy! and we have less need to pay for ski holidays .

My 9 yr old has 3 season passes; one nakiska (we have a family pass), one COP (the rest of us don't ski there) and one Sunshine (daughter gets free pass there this year and we have discount cards). This weekend his race fees (which cover entry a coach fee and coach pass) is $115; there is sometimes entry swag and sponsership like a hat, neck warmer, t shirt free wax etc, but it doesn't make up for the fee!! He still needs a pass on top; luckily he has a grade 4/5 funpass which gives him 3 free days at most hills over a two year period. This has saved a lot. We get some tickets from costco for the adults. Then this weekend we are staying in a hotel too.. Next year my daughter will no longer get free passes (it was a grade 2 special) and she will also need season passes for sunshine and COP as likely she will train there one weeknight. COP is expensive; its a captive market and the season pass is more than sunshine.

Suspect a lot of Oskis costs are also in the travel, the austrian stuff, the brit champs etc?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes a lot of travel. I usually end up getting up at about 4 am when they have the travelodge sales to try to get the £9/£10 rooms for overnight stops! Can't do much about the fuel cost though. The British races are expensive to enter - eg the Brits are £25 per race - compared to the Austrian races at about 6 euro (under £5). Indoor snow races £23 a time, outdoor ones £19. European snow training - well let's just say that there plenty of more expensive training organisations than the one he goes to, and plenty of other racers who go to those for a lot longer than he does so we're definitely also rans on that front. Indoor training - absolute best for us £23 for 2 hours, but you can easily pay £35 (which is just about what we pay for a whole month of outdoor training - as much as you like for up to 3 evenings a week).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 17-03-12 22:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty, remember the races are not only for the kids - but us "older kids" get to play too (and it's just as much fun/competitive in our old lags'groups as for them as well)! Actually, Snowtrax normally put out a fair few adults for the regional races - including gatecrasher on occasions - so have a word with Darren, get yourself through those gates and join in too! (It's also about the only way to guarantee avoiding getting roped in as a gate judge Wink )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh boy. Should we be getting into the cost of it all. Last weekend at the event in Ål I spent over £600....

3-day passes for us both, approx £130
Hotel for 3 nights, £420
Race fees, £45

Plus half a tank of diesel, snacks for the journey and some food and drink at the hill.

Season passes for the two of us were about £400. Training fees roughly the same (though I get half the fees refunded as a board member). Race fees are fixed at £15 per race. Day passes for competitors are usually about £16-20.

Then you have a couple of race camp weekenders, with accomodation, training fees and passes. There'll be more of those leading up to next season. And as mentioned above, there may be a trip to Austria.

If we add in the winter half term holiday, which is a week's skiing for the whole family and some friends of ours, in Hafjell, then add £800 for accomodation and £500 for passes. Its not strictly training fees and such, but its a fixed part of our ski season.

I wouldn't think there's much change from 5 grand once you add in equipment and consumables.

Oh, and I bought the XC60 because of skiing - there's another 70 grand wink Hehe....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well oski had a great start to the summer season today.

http://www.britski.org/12excel1res.pdf
http://www.britski.org/12excel2res.pdf

First race in which he's old enough to officially get seed points.
First seeded race in which he's made the top 10 overall.
First race in which he's got under 100 (race) points.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobW, Sounds a great start to season! although haven't really got head around points yet! So he races kids much older then?

Norquay was good in the end, good snow. Very tough competition with 260 kids from all across province in manily 9 and 10 yr old categories. There were 127 girls, so nearly a 50/50 split; the girls do really well too Weird competitions with only one race. Son did OK; but he has had better weekened. He came 11th in slalom, 11th in second slalom, 7th in first GS , then he missed inspection for second GS and came 15th. Don't know what his coach was playing at.

Next race is our club hosting; which means a ton of volunteering. Then last race of season is our internal club race/festival which is fancy dress.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryphea, Yes as of this year oski will get ranking points which are relative to all the British skiers. They all race the same courses for the artificial surface races - but the children race different courses to the older ones on snow. Each race still has categories for the individual age groups though, as well as an overall.

oski is back out to Austria late this week for some snow training, then on to the Brits. Back home for a few days then 2 day indoor snow training camp, and the first indoor races of the year. Races most weekends after that until mid July.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So back out to Austria, and without any real time to train and get used to being back to GS on snow instead of slalom on plastic oksi was thrown straight into an international race last weekend. With most of the more local Austrian races already having finished for the season this one had the best of the Tyrol's racing kids, plus a smattering from Italy, Germany, Ukraine, Turkey, Estonia and Finland. Like oksi a lot of these kids from countries which don't have a huge domestic ski racing infrastructure have Austrian clubs too so although the start list looked predominantly Austrian in practice it was quite cosmopolitan.

Quite pleased with oski's 16th out of 35 placing in his age group, especially seeing as he's been off snow since mid January. Very close racing - 16 kids within 5% of the winner - so not only a really high standard but lots of them at much the same level. This is much closer than the typical Brit race where 5% off the pace will often still get 2nd. Hopefully good practice for Meribel next week....
ski holidays
Well that's our season done and dusted. We arranged our Stabæk Cup for U8-U11 at the weekend - GS on Saturday and SL on Sunday in glorious sunshine. A lot of salt involved, also for the Norwegian Ski Cross championships that were being held at the same time. Only 65 kids in total for the GS and 35 for the SL, so we were finished pretty early. Harald was smack in the middle of the bunch both days, but he's carrying a rib injury and you can tell he's not been giving it 100% the last week or so. Too much jibbing and falling off boxes!! Maybe a fracture - the tender spot is still darkish after 2 weeks.

I got to spend the time inside the timing hut, with the sun beating on the window, minding the clocks. Had a couple of scares with times dropping out, but synchronous A & B clocks saved the day (without the TD noticing that we didn't actually have a manual backup!).

H. trained SL this evening, but the hill is suffering badly now. We had 22degC air temperature today! They have twintips and grill on Thursday then that's it - the hill closes Friday evening. I've decided against the Donald Duck Games in Hemsedal in 4 weeks time - I have a feeling it might get cancelled anyway.

Feels like a short season right now, but its nice to know there are no more races to arrange or get too for a while. The football season starts now.
snow report
So, wondered how the british champs is going for oski?

squawker, we haven't hung up our skis yet. Our club race (other clubs invited) was this weekend. Both of us volunteered on Sat, OH on sunday. I was hand timing (back up), OH course crew both days and now has all sorts of weird muscles aching. 200 kids Day 1 for dual slalom, 65 kids day 2 for GS. Son, 9, did well and came 2nd both days in 9 yr old boys. Slalom was tight and he wasn't far off the winner, GS he was not so close, but was comforatbly second both days, but he's a little small for GS. Winner same both days and he is a spectacular GS skier; he put in the fastest time of the day and was amazing to watch. Daughter, 7 , came 6th and I think she was slightly disappointed (sibling rivalry). Great day, sunny, fab snow on mountain (base was a pond).

Saturday is club only fun day. Fancy dress. Son's group is going as LMFAO (not entirely sure its appropriate for 9 and 10 yr olds, but there you go!), daughters as hockey players and figure skaters. Fancy dress is main competition of the day supplemented by moguls and dual slalom , in which I can race and be humiliated by daughter; I can't even attempt to race son.
snow conditions
gryphea,

Interesting that you say he's small for GS. I've never given it much thought, but the OH noticed last Sunday that the kids on the podium were all physically much bigger than Harald. At this age the difference between being born in January and September (when Harald and all the best people are born wink ) can be quite significant. But then I know a couple of amazingly fast kids that are his size so its not like its the only factor.

As regards racing these little *******.... Harald beat me by 3s in the club championships, and he was desperately unhappy with his time. But at least I put 4 Norwegians behind me in my own age group. 12 of 16 in Men 40-49 - I can live with that. I was stiff for 3 days though - I spent most of the evening working the timing clock, then dashed up the hill for my start with absolutely no warm up. Ouch! All the way up on the lift I'm thinking how stupid and dangerous this is and why do I do it every year? After hurtling through the gates for 36s I realised why I do it - man, what a rush. And the kids get to do it all the time. They don't know how lucky they are.
snow report
Size seems to definately be a factor in GS. My son is small, he's september too and is small anyway. He's maybe 55lbs. His friend is 85 lbs, is rubbish at sllom and good at GS he came 9th and then came third in GS. But its definately a pattern I've noticed. Our 10 yr old boys we have a skiing phenomnen, He's german and amazing. He's so bendy and amazingly agile, but he's small. He's gold every time on slalom; but he can't ever make it GS, when the bigger boys have more of an advantage. Course its not the only factor; but it is definately an advantage; one dad was saying he'd put stones in her daughter's pocket.

My daughter is small too and December born; but c'est la vie. My kids will be small all the way through; both me and my husband were late growers. Two of the 10yr old girls in his club are enormous, one is 5 ft 6.

Congrats on your race!
snow conditions
oski's a September birthday too - and definately not one of the bigger ones - yet! He seems to have big feet though (and new boots he had last summer are already "getting tight") so perhaps the rest of him will catch up soon. It does seem that he's at that age where the girls start growing faster than the boys - there are some girls born the same year as him who dwarf him at the moment.

He was 5th in first race last week, which he was a little disappointed with, but he's had a lot less time on snow this winter than any of those who were ahead of him, so not that bad a result. 2nd race (billed as a GS but turned out to be what in Austria they call Super Cross) he was looking really good on the first run - until he hit a rut and pinged a ski off. Unfortunately he'd been drawn almost last and as they didn't reverse the order for run 2 (which is fairer in a best of 2 runs race) the course had softened and rutted up a lot by the time he got to ski again. Judging by the difference in times the others were getting between 1st and second runs, and allowing for his 2nd run being a little more cautious he'd probably have been on or very close to a podium finish without his 1st run mishap. Probably a signal that his bindings need to go up a bit - especially for this sort of race which was at higher speed than a normal GS would have been - so maybe our fault for not anticipating that.

Back home for 4 days now, then off again for a couple of days indoor snow slalom training before the first indoor races of the summer season next weekend.
snow report
1st indoor race of the summer season today. Oksi's much more of a dry slope skier really as that's where he does the vast majority of his training. But he managed to explode the myth that dry slope skiers can't win on indoor snow today, with his first indoor win. Racing again tomorrow, and then more indoor racing next weekend before the outdoor races start the week after.
ski holidays
Thanks for updates Okanagan, Sounds like he had quite a good time at brit championship and still seems funny to us that he's starting a season!!

Our season is officially over. Finished with our club race. 7yr old came 3rd and was really pleased. 9yr old came first and was pleased, but he really epxected it. The mian result of the day is that I managed to beat my husband (although lost twice to daughter despite trying) !! Obviously the most important race of the season (unless I had lost of course).

We'll do a few family days at Sunshine between now and close and 9yr old may ski one or two days with club.. Now outdoor socceeerrrr season starts. This is fairly short in Calgary............
latest report
Okanagan, congrats to Oski for today, a great start to the summer season! Best of luck for same again for tomorrow.

gryphea, nice results.

I am currently trying to coax my 7 year old back to a bit of race training for the summer after he managed a Gold Nastar last week in Breckenridge but fear I will be signing him up to the various freestyle camps that are running Laughing
snow report
gryphea wrote:
(although lost twice to daughter despite trying) !!
I wouldn't even try to race Oski now. At the moment I can still beat my 5 year old - although if he's anything like Oski I've probably only got another 2-3 years of that being true!

Well, another day, another race. Neither of Oski's runs were as clean as yesterday - fairly big mistakes on both runs - but it was still enough for him to win his age group. All in all a fairly succesful weekend (albeit a slightly expensive one as he's somehow managed to remove several inches of edge from his training skis).
snow conditions
A mixed bag of results this weekend - GBR indoor series races this time which attracted more of the top older skiers than last week's Club Nationals, and had tougher courses to match. oski won his age group again in the first race on Saturday, but managed to get himself catapulted out of the bottom of the course on the first run on Sunday having looked good up to then. No damage to anything other than his pride, and he did still complete, albeit obviously out of contention. Honour was somewhat restored by posting the fastest time for his age group on the second run. At least next time he's back racing indoors he should have a start position closer to the middle of the field than the end as his early season points will have kicked in, so the ruts will hopefully not be quite as big.

Back to training on the dry slope this week, having been off it for about 6 weeks - he has just one training session to adjust back to it before racing on it next weekend.
snow conditions
Well in some ways it was much the same story as last week, in others it couldn't have been more different. After a couple of weeks of racing indoors we moved on to the first outdoor Club National races of the year. Now usually I prefer the outdoor races even if they are on "plastic" - but yesterday I'd swear that it was actually warmer inside the Chill Factore the week before! Pendle slope, for those who don't know it, is positioned in such a way that there are fabulous views on a good day - and to be fair Friday evening's glorious sunset and Saturday's bright albeit windy day of racing did give us a glimpse of that. But the flip side of the uninterrupted views are that it is also very exposed when weather conditions aren't quite so kind - so on Sunday with high winds, heavy rain, and a smattering of snow/sleet/hail (which seems to be locally referred to as "lumpy rain") thrown in, we were all reminded that ski racing is a winter sport, even if this was supposed to be part of the summer season! With racers and supporters alike sheltering inside the ski club hut, and only the valiant race officials braving more of the outdoor conditons than the minimum necessary, the racers all deserve credit for their continued good spirits despite the lack of the usual outdoor race picnic atmosphere.

oski? Well like last week he won one race, and made a bit of a mess of the other (despite putting in the single fastest time for his age group on Sunday, his other 2 runs - and he needed two good ones to count - had just too many errors to get him anything more than 2nd on the day). Not entirely surprised given that he'd not trained on the dry slope for so long - hopefully the consistency will start to come back in time for next week's GBR outdoor series races. Both runs to count this time, so no room for any mistakes.
latest report
What a difference a week makes. From the wild weather of Pendle last weekend the UK race circuit moved South East to the altogether more civilised surroundings of the Norfolk Ski Club – a facility which has the rest of the dry slope racing community looking on with envy. Even the traditional bank holiday rain managed to hold off until May Day itself giving us two good days of top level racing.

With all the top dry slope racers in attendance we knew it was going to be tight, and the course setters provided a challenge which saw only 44 of the 70 male racers survive to complete both runs on day 1, and 48 on day 2. Definitely advantage Cymru at this stage of the 6 race series with Welsh racers taking the top two male spots on both days, with only 0.01 seconds over 2 runs separating the top 2 on Sunday.

Oski did manage to be more consistent this week, winning on both days – although Saturday’s age group win had looked anything but certain when he was trailing by 0.04 seconds at the end of the first run.

He’s certainly looking stronger this year, although he perhaps doesn’t appear to be quite as flexible and agile as he did at his best last year. Still early in the season though, so no doubt it will happen eventually. Looking at his race videos it’s quite hard to pinpoint exactly what it is which is giving this impression – it’s almost as if he’s sometimes got too much time between the gates and is ready for the next one way before he gets there so he just isn’t needing those quick reactions, rather than that he isn’t doing it when needed. The answer to that is generating more speed so that the gates come at him faster of course, so perhaps more starting/skating/poling practice is on the cards for him. We’ll leave that to his coaches though – like a lot of kids he’s no great respecter of parental opinions regarding something he’s undoubtedly better at than we are!

A mixture of racing surfaces next weekend; one outdoor race which will also feature snowhead’s GrahamN (we expect a report Graham this thread is for “big kids” too!) and one indoor snow race - with the added bonus of a (short) GS race to follow. And for the first time oski will not be starting near the end of the field as a new seed point (ranking) list has come into force. Now this doesn’t make too much difference on the dry slopes but it can when it comes to snow races where the ruts left after 150 skiers have all skied a similar line can make it more difficult for the later starters.
snow conditions
Okanagan, Oski certainly is having a good start to the season! Nice to get all the reports, a lot of us "big kid" racers used to be very good at reporting on our summer racing exploits (especially GrahamN) but have rather tailed off in recent years! Very Happy So far I've only managed two races this year and don't think those merit description Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best not to dwell too much on Saturday! Not sure where oski was but although he was physically at the races, mentally he certainly wasn't - he looked half asleep on his first run. He did improve run by run as the day went on, but he never really looked his normal self. That's the last time I succumb to his request to go training on a Friday night when he's got a race on Saturday which requires an early start!

Sunday meant us moving indoors at Milton Keynes - probably my least favourite venue on the UK race circuit despite it being one of the closest to us. I'd much rather be outside anyway, especially as it was a nice sunny day for once, and of all the indoor venues this one is the least spectator friendly with much of the view obscured by girders, pillars and netting. The indoor Club National format also means that the start order for second run is simply the first run reversed, rather than slowest to fastest as in the other races. Whilst this is arguably fairer for the racers given that the state of the surface is affected by the number of skiers who've been down it, it doesn't make for as good a spectator event as you lose the crescendo effect as each successive racer ought to be taking the lead - so that you can tell instantly if the order is changing. Whatever the problem was the day before, oski seemed to have woken up again on Sunday - despite a mistake on his first run which left him with nearly 3/4 of a second to make up he put in a much better second run to eventually win his age group on the day.
snow conditions
Okanagan, yep the best sunshine of the year and stuck in a fridge! rolling eyes

This is the first MK one we've been to and daughters first CN, she really enjoyed it despite a very shaky second run, it was good to have the gs event also, a good day in all!
latest report
gatecrasher, If she'll do plastic too, try one of the outdoor CNs. You get three runs in those, and only the best of the first 2 count so a single mistake doesn't necessarily have the same consequences. Welwyn, Norwich and Ipswich are all having GS events after the main race if she enjoyed that.
latest report
Okanagan, I think she'll probably do at least one of the plastic ones, but with so many races starting on the southern & eastern regions it's difficult cost & travel wise to do them all.
snow conditions
If you come to Welwyn; I'll be the chat on the side of the slope (or bottom) in a yellow jacket and a green Bag (and if I am not busy) and a Video camera. My son will be racing.
ski holidays
scooby_simon, I'll be the parent acting as mind coach, ski tech, personal caterer & logistics coordinator.....

I shouldn't be too difficult to spot hey! wink
snow conditions
gatecrasher wrote:
scooby_simon, I'll be the parent acting as mind coach, ski tech, personal caterer & logistics coordinator.....

I shouldn't be too difficult to spot hey! wink

LOL; one of the 150 or so! hee hee hee....
ski holidays
Quote:

scooby_simon, I'll be the parent acting as mind coach, ski tech, personal caterer & logistics coordinator

......and personal banker....... Cool
snow report
......and rounder up of lost equipment, recorder of times, calculator of seedpoints, all-purpose scapegoat when it doesn't quite go to plan.......
snow report
Okanagan wrote:
......and rounder up of lost equipment, recorder of times, calculator of seedpoints, all-purpose scapegoat when it doesn't quite go to plan.......

LOL.
ski holidays
scooby_simon wrote:
Okanagan wrote:

LOL.

"what have you done to my skis daddy?"

Reply.....

Dunno darling...but whatever it was I've done the same to mine!? Puzzled Embarassed
ski holidays
gatecrasher, If yours is who I think she is there's a photo from the MK race you might like here (blackwhite6307). Also a couple more here.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy