Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what is wrong with me

Poster: A snowHead
margaret, you love skiing, you ski safe, you can ski anything. Stop worrying and enjoy.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I spend all my skiing day worrying about being too slow, as I struggle to catch up with my kids and husband. Then I skied with some friends last winter who couldn't keep up with me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
margaret,

You are only suffering from the tyranny of videos. Don't watch them.

In my mind, I ski like Hermann Maier.

On video I ski like Herman Munster.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Acacia wrote:
In my mind, I ski like Hermann Maier.

On video I ski like Herman Munster.
Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Acacia, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Acacia, Laughing Laughing . A while ago now , but I have (briefly) seen you ski, and it looked nothing like Hermann Munster.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, you have really all cheered me up. I feel ready to take on the pistes again.
Look out snow, here I come. Thanks for all your kind comments, when with instructors, I do ski faster, on my own I slow down. But I do feel more comfortable being in control. I think I must just be a control freak. In the past I have always acted as sweeper to pick up our fallen children, maybe old habits are hard to break.
See you on the slopes, I will be the one in the middle of the piste making lots of turns and smiling while I admire the veiw. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
margaret, then I will probably 'bump' into you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, I was just thinking the very same! See you on the slopes, maybe, margaret. Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
margaret, Don't suppose you fancy coming to Les Deux Alpes with us for the Cautious to Confident week in March (10-17th)? We're a small group this year. We have 3 groups of skiers each group being a max size of 4. We have a 2-hr lesson sometime during the day and lots of fun. Quite a few have come as couples and their bolder "other halves" have been pleased to go off together for some faster fun at times, but been brilliant at supporting not just their own family but others too in practising between lessons. Just a thought anyway. PM me if you'd like more info.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
margaret wrote:
Wow, you have really all cheered me up. I feel ready to take on the pistes again.
Look out snow, here I come. Thanks for all your kind comments, when with instructors, I do ski faster, on my own I slow down. But I do feel more comfortable being in control. I think I must just be a control freak. In the past I have always acted as sweeper to pick up our fallen children, maybe old habits are hard to break.
See you on the slopes, I will be the one in the middle of the piste making lots of turns and smiling while I admire the veiw. Very Happy
Nothing wrong with any of that IMO. As long as you enjoy what you're doing I can't see a reason to give up Very Happy snowHead . Both wife and I are cautious (her more than me) but we still have fun skiing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
margaret,

if you enjoy it carry on!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
margaret wrote:
Look out snow, here I come. Thanks for all your kind comments, when with instructors, I do ski faster, on my own I slow down. But I do feel more comfortable being in control. I think I must just be a control freak.

How embarrassing, it appears my OH has become a snowHead without telling me. wink

I'm guessing this is the real issue. Have you ever had a car accident or similar trauma where you and/or your children were frightened or injured? Or do you come from a family with a particularly domineering parent (even in a passive mode)? Sounds like you really need to learn to trust yourself... Just a theory.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyph,
Quote:

But I do feel more comfortable being in control. I think I must just be a control freak.
There are lots of us about! In my case, the answer to both your questions is no. Back to the drawing board. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
margaret, you love skiing, you ski safe, you can ski anything. Stop worrying and enjoy.

Spot on Shim - in a sort of Voice of Treason way Laughing
snow report
margaret, I have a cousin who is the same as you she is happy going at her speed. She likes to go to Whistler where the Ski Esprit 5 full days in half a lesson/half guiding means she is always people of the same mind. She has been in the same lesson ability for the last 7 years and has no concept of ever changing. She even meets people who she has skied with previously in other years who are doing the same thing. Then at the weekend she skis with the others in the family.

Maybe they do this sort of thing in other places too.

Also consider a faster skier in control will often ski at you whilst they work out where you are going and the best plan to avoid you, they should then peel off behind you hopefully giving a wide berth but not always. I know it is difficult but ignore them they will miss you. If you get the idiot out of control they will hit you where ever you are it is just luck. The worse thing you can do is change what you are doing.

Hope you get to enjoy even more.
snow report
Quote:

Have you ever had a car accident or similar trauma where you and/or your children were frightened or injured?

There was a young Frenchwoman in my XC ski class two weeks ago, who was completely freaked out. She was "terrorisée" (?sp) and in tears at one point, despite really good efforts by the instructor. He tried to persuade her to "cash in" her week's lesson payments for some private tuition, and also advised her to rent some easier gear (like mine wink ). But she just dropped out completely. She'd come with a friend, who was in the class for the rest of the week, who said she'd had a horrendous experience with the birth of her son, and had lost all confidence since then.

Poor girl, I did feel for her. I hope she found other things to enjoy during the week.
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
andyph,
Quote:

But I do feel more comfortable being in control. I think I must just be a control freak.
There are lots of us about! In my case, the answer to both your questions is no. Back to the drawing board. wink

OK, you can't win 'em all! wink But one question - how do you feel about presents? Do you like surprises or do you always want to know what it is (to avoid disappointment, for example)?
snow conditions
andyph, I like surprises. Why?
ski holidays
I like surprises but I rarely get them!!
Butterfly, It would be lovely to join you all but I am always at Crufts with my dog that weekend.
Skiing or dog, hard choice, but the dog just gets it Very Happy
You are all very nice people though, thanks.
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
andyph, I like surprises. Why?

Voila! Amateur control freak, at best. wink I thought you were much too easy going to be a real control freak. Of course people change when you marry them, but I think this experiment has gone far enough. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
andyph, no, just a selective control freak. I appreciate control at times when control is useful, for example on a steep mountain side. Little Angel

Maybe lay off the amateur psychology and stick to the day job? wink
latest report
Pedantica, as a salesman, amateur psychology is the day job. wink But 20 years of being married to a control freak is all the knowledge I really need. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I may be a slow old bird, but he is taking me skiing again, so I cannot be so bad. His idea, not mine. Have booked a (very) late week in Ischgl, complete with "free" skipass. We shall enjoy spring skiing, walking (I hope not) and chill out time. I shall try to speed up, but if I don't, who cares. OH obviously does not. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
margaret, snowHead You know what? If you speeded up and kept leaving him behind, he'd be really peest off. wink Have a great trip.
snow conditions
i shall do my best Toofy Grin
snow conditions
take up snowboarding
snow report
I don't know my goofy from my regular, being ambidextrus I am all mixed up. Better the devil you know, just point those skis downhill......well almost. Husband says I am the only person he knows who manages to ski uphill. Well it does control the speed..... Very Happy
Having said that, I am really looking forwards to skiing again, and I will try harder to speed up. I am sure that I safely can.
I am really looking forwards to it. Just have a week walking in the lake district to get through. That will toughen me up. he leaves me behind when walking too.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy