Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what is wrong with me

Poster: A snowHead
I love skiing big time. My son has an opinion that you ski like you drive ( he is a policeman and an awesome skier) I am a safe and cautious driver.However my husband has a gopro and to see me on video skiing is a nightmare. I am thinking that I should give up. After skiing many years, and with plenty of instruction it is painful to see.I ski anything and anything on piste, blue to black but at my speed. I will never wipe anyone out but I feel that I could be a danger to others because of my lack of speed. I had a speed related accident second week of skiing, but so long ago I should be over it. should I retire gracefully?I am a safe skier but slow.
My husband is a saint, he skis with me, and is happy to do so Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski at your own speed! Slow and in control is vastly better than fast and out of control. If you enjoy it, keep doing it!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also don't think the skiing/driving thing is true. I ski fast and take risks (not when other people are around), but I drive slowly and cautiously. It's too difficult to excite yourself driving to make it worthwhile. The risk to reward ratio is much more favourable in skiing, unless you're going to take up rallying or motocross or something like that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I feel that I could be a danger to others because of my lack of speed.

if they are overtaking you, it's their job to keep out of the way. Don't worry about it, and keep enjoying yourself.

If you actually WANT to ski faster, then why not have a go at this

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1973587&highlight=nervous+deux+alpes#1973587
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
so I ski as I want to and the devil take the rest? I feel that I am in the way of "proper skiers" ie fast . Sometimes they come too close for comfort, I will not mention snowboarders for fear of offending....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's nothing wrong with you. If you are enjoying yourself, carry on. You are not in anyone's way, people above you have to get out of your way.

Do you really want to ski faster? It's not a race after all. The first one to the bar usually has to pay... Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rubbish!

Just like driving there is a saving a careful driver is a "safe" driver.

There is never a rule to ski is for speed. Just like the common misconception that skiing is dangerous and people frequently break an arm or a leg for doing it. The whole idea is you can go as slow and as safe as you wish as long as you are comfortable and everything is under control. It is much better to be able to ski as long as you wish and without any injury and danger to others.

I am a slow skier too and my wife is even slower. We choose resorts that slow skiers are not bothered with and that means stay away from France and don't go during mid term breaks. We still enjoy skiing after we both got our free bus passes.

Two weeks ago I was skiing in Monte Rosa. This video clip shows for a full two minute run there was no one at my back or in the front. You think my slow speed would matter to anybody in such a resort?

We went round about 10 resorts and never felt threatened for being slow. In general if you go to upmarket resorts you will find the piste users are more courteous, each piste has less users, there are a lot less inexperienced learners there, fast speed demons looking for a quick cheap thrill can't afford to be there and the whole problem slow skiing is never an issue.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, I love the happy little hum at the end! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I enjoyed your clip, you ski at my speed!!Maybe my husband takes me to the wrong resorts! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do believe going there at the right time and the selection of resort is important. There are examples of slow skiing. You will not find us in anybody's way.

A green run in Valmorel in France

A blue run at the top of Les Deux Alps glacier, France

A red run in St Moritz, Switzerland

A black run in Keystone, Colorado USA

Stay away from France if you want less people competing space with you on a piste. Swiss are generally well behave. Many Austrian and Italian resorts are not on the TO book and they are rarely crowded.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
margaret, do your own thing and enjoy!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I love skiing big time.

Quote:

I am a safe skier

So enjoy and stop worrying Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Many Austrian and Italian resorts are not on the TO book and they are rarely crowded.

The vast majority of French resorts have no TO presence either, and there are plenty of French resorts which are uncrowded and unhurried and where most skiers are both competent and courteous. But you do need (in all countries) to be aware of the busy holiday weeks AND to know which resorts get invaded by speed freaks at weekends. The resorts near big Italian cities are an example of this last problem.

I'm still not clear, though, whether the OP wants to continue skiing as she does, or whether she would like to be able to ski a bit faster when she felt like it. In which case, both the right resort AND the right instructor might be needed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you enjoy it carry on. Don't worry about others, it's their problem. Same is true for snowboarders, it's their job to watch out and not run into you, and that's coming from a snowboarder.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
margaret, you will always be passed by those skiers faster than you, but don't forget all those that you do pass and all those that never catch you up - you don't see them, but I bet they are there and probably more numerous than you think. There is no problem being the slowest skier in your group there are a number of us that are in the same boat! Have fun and don't worry.
snow conditions
margaret, and another thing..... the people who spend least time getting down the slope spend a much higher proportion of their time on the lifts!
snow conditions
I agree with people here, let everyone else make their own way down and leave you enjoying yourself snowHead
ski holidays
having seen how I ski, and after so many instructors, I dispair. I read (here) of how people go skiing in one week, and can ski everything. I have skiied St Anton, Val D'isere, Ischgl, Zermatt and done blacks in each. But I am so slow. Do I try and throw caution to the wind? Husband has a spare week of leave and wants to go ski again with me, can I be so bad?
ski holidays
Quote:

I have skiied St Anton, Val D'isere, Ischgl, Zermatt

Hmm. Heaps and heaps of speed merchants in those resorts, I'd say. I don't ski particularly slowly, but I do notice, going to somewhere like Val D'Isere, an enormous increase in average speed, and the crowds on the pistes, compared to quieter places I usually ski, and where I am not overtaken that often. It really isn't nice being one of the slower skiers on the piste, because some people do pass far too close. There are loads of places better for somebody who likes to take it easy and doesn't want to be cut up all the time.

And don't believe all those people who apparently become experts in a week. wink

If your OH wants to go skiing again, you can't be so bad! Though maybe it would be nice if you had a friend who also wanted to ski slowly, so he could go off and have a bit of a blast now and again?
snow conditions
margaret, You seem like a very sensible, safe skier to me. I wish there were more like you. Ignore the speed merchants - some are competent, some are showing off. My OH skis very slowly but always likes to be in control and I applaud that. Don't worry about it.
ski holidays
to be honest, Pam he enjoys the rest when waiting for me!. We have no skiing friends so he is stuck with me. We do family holidays when our offspring ski the legs off us. They are also more than happy to ski with me(maybe because we are paying....) Very Happy
ski holidays
margaret wrote:
I love skiing big time. My son has an opinion that you ski like you drive ( he is a policeman and an awesome skier) I am a safe and cautious driver.However my husband has a gopro and to see me on video skiing is a nightmare. I am thinking that I should give up. After skiing many years, and with plenty of instruction it is painful to see.I ski anything and anything on piste, blue to black but at my speed. I will never wipe anyone out but I feel that I could be a danger to others because of my lack of speed. I had a speed related accident second week of skiing, but so long ago I should be over it. should I retire gracefully?I am a safe skier but slow.

Get a grip.

Just do it.
ski holidays
margaret, Buy a pair of Whitedots cheer yourself up
ski holidays
Quote:

We have no skiing friends so he is stuck with me

not true Very Happy plenty of snowHead more than happy to ski with you
snow report
margaret, have you filmed the OH on the GoPro?
ski holidays
Very few people see a video of themselves skiing and are happy. Most of us feel that the video shows us to be lot slower than we thought with poor technique, so don't worry about it.

Just keep enjoying.
latest report
margaret wrote:
After skiing many years, and with plenty of instruction it is painful to see.

Sounds like me Laughing. The only time when faster = better is in a race course! Everyone has a speed limit, even the greatest!

From IMDB

Quote:
Ingemar Stenmark is considered by many to be the greatest alpine skier of all time... Stenmark rarely competed in downhill competitions since he was not comfortable with speeds in excess of 120 km/h (80 mi/h).
ski holidays
unpack his go-pro when he's not looking, and enjoy!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK who hasn't seen a video of themselves skiing and did not want to give up. The easy answer is to stop videoing and enjoy yourself.
snow report
Id say whats wrong is you should be enjoying yourself not worrying! snowHead
snow report
Quote:

We have no skiing friends so he is stuck with me.

margaret, what about booking that forthcoming holiday in a chalet? Typically after the first day or two people often end up skiing together and sort themselves out into a "slower" and "faster" group - which would allow you both to ski at your own pace.

BTW, I was videoed doing some "Race Training" as part of an EoSB in the past. I was eyeballs out skiing some gates and thought I was going really fast (I was certainly putting in maximal effort). Imagine my disappointment when I viewed the video... Embarassed
ski holidays
margaret, just stay the right side of fun snowHead
latest report
I have to say that most of the 'speed merchants' I have encountered are actually very good at avoiding 'obstructions'. They normally fly past me giving me a wide berth.

I have found that it is best to ski the middle of the piste and make turns well before the edge of the piste, thereby leaving space for the faster skiers to pass you on either side. Even if you make a sudden unexpected turn they will have two choices of a route past you and are normally capable of quickly doing so.

I would only ask that the faster skiers give a extra wide berth to very slow skiers because they are often more nervous, and the sound of a fast skier edging very hard behind them can increase the fear factor!

I agree with all those who say the most important thing with skiing is the fun element. Whilst we should all always strive to be better skiers, this should not be at the expense of enjoyment.
snow report
It's funny because I was going to make a comment about it all being about timing rather than location after saikee,'s comments about steering clear of France to avoid speed merchants. I read his report on Gstaad etc. with interest as I have skied there a lot (due to work) and whilst it is quiet outside of holidays, come the holiday period and the usual speed merchants arrive and it is the only place I have been knocked off my feet by another skier bombing along (the Little Angel was also twice the weight of me and he didn't stop and come back to see if I was ok). Just over a week ago I had a fall here at about 3pm on a powder day and shuffled over to the side of the piste so as not to be in the way and not a single skier went past in the 10 mins I was sat there as the area is so quiet at the moment, but then I've just seen the news about Ginola colliding with someone else in Jaillet and breaking some ribs, so I guess it can happen anywhere at anytime (just trying to find out where he is staying so I can go and offer some bedside support wink)

In general, though, I think if you are going slowly and holding a steady path you are exactly the type of skier that is easiest for the speed merchants to avoid.

The key thing is:

margaret wrote:
I love skiing big time...My husband is a saint, he skis with me, and is happy to do so Very Happy

margaret wrote:
Husband has a spare week of leave and wants to go ski again with me

margaret wrote:
he enjoys the rest when waiting for me!

margaret wrote:
We do family holidays when our offspring ski the legs off us. They are also more than happy to ski with me

You love skiing, it makes you happy and the people you love are happy to ski with you too... what more do you need to know? snowHead
latest report
miranda,
Quote:

You love skiing, it makes you happy and the people you love are happy to ski with you too... what more do you need
That's what I was wondering.
ski holidays
miranda,

Gstaad and Adelboden are relatively busy and I would imagine they are popular destinations for the skiers living around Bern especially during the weekends after a heavy dump. In my report I said the visitors seem mostly Swiss. Overall these resorts are not crowded by the Alpine standard.

Personally the risk of being hit by a piste user is a lot higher if the resort has a significantly number of newbies learning to ski or snowboard , as they can go onto a piste just a bit over their comfort zone due to lack of experience or mistake. It is my experience the Swiss and the Austrian prefer to learn the winter sport in local small tiny resorts as they are nearer and cheaper than going to big resorts visited by packaged internation skiers. I therefore feel safer in the large Swiss and Austrian resorts as everybody seem to be able to ski or snowboard.
ski holidays
Quote:

have found that it is best to ski the middle of the piste and make turns well before the edge of the piste, thereby leaving space for the faster skiers to pass you on either side. Even if you make a sudden unexpected turn they will have two choices of a route past you and are normally capable of quickly doing so.

Very considerate behaviour Very Happy
ski holidays
there are lots of us slow skiers - you shouldn't worry - we are a quiet, unheard group of skiers. There are some skiers who believe that a deathwish is an essential part of the sport, but (as you know) it isn't.

If your husband is happy to ski with you, enjoy it.
If you were really worried you could: a)do the same run again and again till you were happy with that run, and going a little faster, then pick a different run and repeat.
b) consider a private lesson for you, or for your husband, so that he can try new things/you can try and increase your speed a bit
c)acknowldege that skiing can be a sociable sport. If the two of you were walking up a hill, would you expect your husband to race off and wait for you at the top? (i don't think so!)
ski holidays
margaret wrote:
. should I retire gracefully?

1. Would it make your husband happy if you were to retire? (I'd guess not.)

2. Does he know you've posted this? (Again, I'd guess not.)

If you reckon 30 minutes for a lift up and a ski down, there's probably only a couple of minutes difference between you.
ski holidays
Am I the only one who wants to see the video? Twisted Evil

Seriously, better option is for you to take the camera. Let husband go first, he will probably be very grateful to see himself on the screen, and you don't need to worry about him "watching" while you ski.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy