Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A £65m snow dome for Swindon.

Poster: A snowHead
@no_snow_in_swindon, 6 years was far too long; 170m is far too short!
But the ultimate question is...will there be chunk chips????
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
that's brilliant news, cannot wait!!!!.

seeing as it is The snow centre operating it as well, will hopefully be able to use the freebie vouchers from the ski show there in the future.

happy days Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@soon_to_be_snow_in_swindon, Thanks for the update.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cad99uk wrote:
@soon_to_be_snow_in_swindon, Thanks for the update.

I'm gonna have to change it too that
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent, all the pieces now in place. I believe they are aiming for an opening date for the ski slope around the end of 2020. Hope to be teaching there, all being well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Amazing news.

Not too far from me, 45-60 minutes. I think I may become a regular when it's open!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

soon_to_be_snow_in_swindon, Thanks for the update

No problem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Excellent, all the pieces now in place. I believe they are aiming for an opening date for the ski slope around the end of 2020. Hope to be teaching there, all being well.

Snowheads discount? snowHead

I'm seriously looking at getting my qualifications to join you
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bit closer than Hemel so gets approval from me Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
Snowheads discount? snowHead

I'm seriously looking at getting my qualifications to join you
Yes, we offer £50 discount to snowHeads for your first clinic with us. Gives you an opportunity to see if what we do is what you are looking for, without having to spend too much money on a day's skiing and coaching. After that first discount we have a loyalty scheme which a number of snowHeads have qualified for, which offers on-going discounts for all our courses, occasional half-price clinics (and most importantly an exclusive Inside Out Skiing hoody wink ).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only about an hour for me, so will be on my list to visit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So good for the South West, it’s a two hour plus drive to any of the current snowdomes for us!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@caspriddy, it’ll still be two hours for plenty of us in the SW.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some headline information on the development here:
https://www.northstarvillage.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just read in the AJ that it now has approval:

"FaulknerBrowns has won the go-ahead for a new £270 million indoor snow centre and leisure village in Swindon

The main winter-sport centre, featuring two snow slopes, sits within a wider application recently approved by Swindon Borough Council including shops, bars, a 13-screen cinema with the largest IMAX screen in the UK, a bowling alley, an indoor trampolining centre and a 130-room hotel.

The 41,050m² development will be built on former industrial land north of Swindon town centre known as the North Star site. The site next to the existing Oasis Leisure Centre was previously occupied by the Great Western Railway Works before it was flattened in 2009.

Backed by Seven Capital, the snow centre will become the fifth designed by the practice.

FaulknerBrowns partner Russ Davenport said: ‘We’ve already seen with our previous snow centres, the positive impact that this kind of leisure destination can have in attracting visitors and investment into an area, as well as offering a fantastic new leisure experience for its residents.’

Completion is expected in 2021."
latest report
Opening Dec 2020 already slipping then.
snow report
Length of slope is really important. MK may only be 10 /15 m longer than Hemel but many of their regulars drive on past for an occasional treat of a much less busy and ' 2 turns' longer slope.
Economically, it makes no sense, more time, more miles, parking charges and higher slope fees... and yet, for 'the ski' it's what you sometimes need. Weekdays, going early it's really quite empty compared to Hemel.
Hemel is hit by their limited 'run off' areas as they have to move the safety netting up the slope or fence off area's for beginners in the main slope when their nursery slope is full.
What is exceptional at Hemel is the facility quality. It's around 10 years old but looks ' all new' and is constantly cosmetically updated... It's a very very nice place but I really NEED a proper mountain.
Yes, you can work on technique and improve substantially in a snowdome.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Opening Dec 2020 already slipping then.

"Completion" may refer to the end of the construction contract, which in some cases can be years after buildings are complete, it depends on the maintenance and handover criteria specified.

As a developer they'd want to maximise their income as early as possible, so some units might open before others and - given the operational costs of the slope - that might mean the retail / dining units are first up... fingers crossed not, and hoping this comes off: Swindon is so much easier than Hemel from our neck of the woods!
snow report
As this thread started six years ago then, although I'd welcome a local fridge,h I'm not holding my breath.
ski holidays
billb wrote:
As this thread started six years ago then, although I'd welcome a local fridge,h I'm not holding my breath.

A lot has happened in those 6 years though. And all of the planning and finance hurdles have now been overcome. Work starts on this ground next month. snowHead
snow conditions
@no_snow_in_swindon, Pictures as it starts to rise from the ground would be appreciated snowHead
latest report
cad99uk wrote:
@no_snow_in_swindon, Pictures as it starts to rise from the ground would be appreciated snowHead
I'm sure I'll be able to manage that! Little Angel
snow conditions
Good man.
latest report
@no_snow_in_swindon, sounds promising then snowHead Hopefully, it'll become operational while I can still stand up on skis wink
snow report
We have a little chat about it in the latest episode of The Ski Podcast (11 mins in)
http://theskipodcast.com/resorts/meribel/episode-26-skiing-in-scotland-swindon-meribel/
ski holidays
@iainm,

Hadn't ever heard of this podcast. Thanks for the heads up. I've subscribed as I often listen to podcasts on my commute
snow report
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17435128.snoasis-comes-one-step-closer-as-highways-plans-are-signed-off/

Highways and planning officers at Swindon Borough Council have signed off on one of the conditions imposed upon the developers of the indoor ski centre at North Star.

When the multi-million pound scheme was given planning permission by the council's planning committee before Christmas there were a number of conditions imposed upon A Seven Capital, the applicants, that must be fulfilled as the project progresses.

One, the condition about road plans and provisions, has now been discharged, meaning that box has been ticked.

The developers had to provide traffic modelling to show how it would flow when the ski centre was built, and full lay out plans for changes the junctions and roundabouts that will be affected by traffic heading to the new facility in North Star, near the Oasis leisure centre.

Detailed plans are available on the borough council's website using reference number S/COND/18/1738
latest report
@no_snow_in_swindon, Thanks for the update. Any construction happening yet?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not yet. I was down near there last week and there was guys doing survey work (guessing for the above)
Hopefully soon it'll start to rise out of the ground
snow conditions
Whilst Swindon is further from me than any of the existing snowdomes, it is still exciting news... the more the merrier! snowHead
snow report
Living on the South Hampshire coast, all indoor snow venues are a fair drive away. Guildford would be great for us but no doubt it would be a very busy site if they ever built there due to its proximity to London, Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire. I was involved in commissioning the ice rink in Guildford so I cant see how the council would object to a snowdome on environmental grounds, it must be a financial committment thing. I live in hope that maybe one day we will get a snowdome south of London somewhere.
snow report
Any updates on this? Was at MK on Tuesday, and this snowdome would take 1.5 hours off that commute!
Would love to get in to some race training but at a 2.5hr drive to the nearest snowdome, it's not really feasible, but this could be a game changer...
latest report
@swskier, last I heard it was still going ahead, although it has been delayed by a few months. Summer 2021 opening I think.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@swskier, last I heard it was still going ahead, although it has been delayed by a few months. Summer 2021 opening I think.

Good to hear. My plans for trying ski racing might have to move to a dry slope in the meantime!
ski holidays
@swskier, where abouts do you live?
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@swskier, where abouts do you live?

I'm in Clevedon, just outside Bristol. Nearest dry slope is mendip ski centre, not a huge journey away from Gloucester ski slope either
snow report
Pukmeister wrote:
Living on the South Hampshire coast, all indoor snow venues are a fair drive away. Guildford would be great for us but no doubt it would be a very busy site if they ever built there due to its proximity to London, Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire. I was involved in commissioning the ice rink in Guildford so I cant see how the council would object to a snowdome on environmental grounds, it must be a financial committment thing. I live in hope that maybe one day we will get a snowdome south of London somewhere.

Yes, I agree - I'm in Windsor these days, so have Hemel only a short drive away, and Swindon will only be just over an hour away. However, there seems to be a void South of London that could nicely cater for Sussex/Surrey/Kent/Hampshire as well as the South London.
snow report
https://twitter.com/DanOB1986/status/1136143108834381824?s=19

Building work on Swindon's £270m North Star ski centre & leisure complex has been delayed by 6 months due to funding issues. Developer Seven Capital says it's now agreed the necessary investment & expects to start building in the last quarter. Completion now expected early 2022.

Developer very confident it will go ahead, and (unlike some) they do have a big track record of other big projects they’ve built. Delay in securing final bit of investment was down in part to recent uncertainty over Brexit.
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
Pukmeister wrote:

Yes, I agree - I'm in Windsor these days, so have Hemel only a short drive away, and Swindon will only be just over an hour away. However, there seems to be a void South of London that could nicely cater for Sussex/Surrey/Kent/Hampshire as well as the South London.

Plenty of available hillside they could use around Guildford - 1500x500m easily doable. Just put a simple n cheap warehouse type structure on top with a couple of chairlifts.
ski holidays
AL9000 wrote:
Just put a simple n cheap warehouse type structure on top with a couple of chairlifts.

That is how Landgraaf is constructed. There isn't even anything under the snow, just frozen ground. If you drill down a bit too far when setting gates you bring up dirt.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy