Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm after some wax for my skis.

Anyone know where to get a block that's large and cheap?

Cheers,

Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, but Bartletts of Hillingdon will sell you some that will make your skis run well and a joy to turn which you might want, shame to have everything above the base of the ski going well to suffer poor performance over saving £10 on some wax. Forgot to mention raiding a cathedral as the candle wax gang will be along in a minute.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 8-02-12 14:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing wrong with the stuff you can get from Decathlon, either.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Candles are pretty cheap and you can get large ones.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynic wrote:
No, but Bartletts of Hillingdon will sell you some that will make your skis run well and a joy to turn which you might want, shame to have everything above the base of the ski going well to suffer poor performance over saving £10 on some wax.

There's a lot of bull talked about skiing equipment but the merits of an expensive wax over a cheaper one for the average recreational skier must be a contender for most marginal of differences. We all know it makes a difference to racers and if you get warm wax on when it's really cold you might as well have poured superglue on your bases but beyond this I think most would stuggle to tell brand difference/ fluorinated or not etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jumpin Jack, www.skituning.co.uk spyderjon on here. Excellent all purpose wax. Cheap? It's all relative is it not? Certainly good value IMO.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jumpin Jack, I get mine from www.datawax.com Do a lot of artificial slope skiing so have to wax several pairs week with the hard stuff and don't want to spend too much. The range of temperature waxes work fine for me on snow as well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

There's a lot of bull talked about skiing equipment but the merits of an expensive wax over a cheaper one for the average recreational skier must be a contender for most marginal of differences. We all know it makes a difference to racers and if you get warm wax on when it's really cold you might as well have poured superglue on your bases but beyond this I think most would stuggle to tell brand difference/ fluorinated or not etc.

Your point about cold wax which a supplier as excellent as Bartletts might mention given the cold temperatures in europe at present might have a variance on his holiday enjoyment
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just bought some after a quick look around.

As I'm going to wax my skis a good 5 weeks before I go next, and they will be in storage over the summer there is good advice on spyderjon's website about getting universal wax with a wide temperature range. The Dominator wax there is also a lot cheaper than other places I saw.

The other common waxes I found were Holmekol and Data waxes.

I liked the sound of the Holmekol Universal wax. The best price I found was from Edge and Wax via Amazon. £10+£2.50 p&p for 250g. Via their own website it was £10+£3.50 p&p.

Cheers for the advice.

Rich
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jumpin Jack, don't tell him, but I use Jons base prep/cleaning wax as an all round wax Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use these blocks and are cheap and good enough to me. http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/copy_of_Rub_on_Ski_Wax.html

If you want something easy to rub on when your on the piste then use this which i found to be really good. http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/copy_of_Super_Slip_Ski_Wax.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 Dominator/skituning.co.uk. It has a lower melting temp than other waxes I have seen. Which gives a beginner waxer (like me) a little extra confidence...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's a question: if you are trying to load a ski with wax,as per Spyderjons web site, and you want to do multiple wax and scrape cycles to encourage the ski to absorb wax, why scrape inbetween ??

Spyderjons website talks about a "hot box" where low level heat is applied for a number of hours, whats the differance between that and leaving the wax on and warming the ski with an iron periodically, and so why scrape the wax ??

Any ideas??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The best ski wax comes from Brazil, be sure to ask for a Brazilian wax. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy