Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best snowboarding runs in Les Arcs?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Arc 1800 on Friday, assuming the diesel doesn't freeze before we get there and we don't freeze to death am looking for some recommendations for good snowboarding runs.
We mostly like to cruise nice wide blue runs, hate flats and not too keen on loads of moguls. Easy reds are OK so long as not nothing but moguls... Absolute pet hate are those really narrow shallow runs, easy peasy on skis I'm sure but torture on a board.

Anyway all tips on where to go / avoid gratefully received
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

hate flats

Enjoy Les Arcs then.... Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Enjoy Les Arcs then....

Oh no really??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
K Lance track should suite, not flat.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey I'm off to Arc 1800 next month, maybe you can let me know what the runs are like when you get back Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
vickitav, Take skis Twisted Evil
We are off to 1800 on Friday too, first time up there. Can't wait
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vickitav, Go to the derby lift and do laps of the blue renard and belette, when you get bored of that then try coqs and myrtilles down to vallandry. Renard and beletter are also good in low vis and also for some 'easy peasy' side piste stuff. To get back to 1800 then turn left of the derby and take the red reches and then hammer down to under the font de neige. This is not the most obvious run back and has a couple of steeper pitches/can get icy but avoids the flat section with a tricky right turn on the more obvious rhodos and maitaz back to 1800.

If a fluffy day I could spend all day doing laps of golf from the vagere chair out of 1800. a number of the other reds of this chair should be good too. If you really don't like flats then the mid-point of the 2000 bowl (below arcablue lift heading for marmottes) is pretty flat indeed..and can be an unstrap for lots of people. Either route to the grand col section will probably leave you polling too.

Still there's some good options for practising getting over flats - bottom section of vallee de l'arc is a good one - I found that I got better on them by (a) bending lower (b) being sure to ride an edge (until I was happy going flat) and going more balls out worked for me..

Enjoy the trip
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can I add to bertie bassett's, excellent suggestions Cascades towards Pre st Espriit and Mount Blanc in 1600 as other runs very suitable for non advanced borders.

When I get bored sitting on lifts I try and survey the numbers of borders and skiers and notice that the number of boarders in Les Arcs is dropping. Over the last two years it has fallen from about to 8% to 5% of the population. Is it because Les Arcs is just not a very good resort for boarders or is there a general fall off in boarding generally? I accept that my samples are not taken over boarder friendly pistes (Grand Col , Cachette, Combourciere etc) so they may not reflect the actual number of boarders in the resort but the change is noticeable. Similalrly, though I haven't surveyed the ages of the boarders in general they appear older than the skiers, why is this?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett,
Quote:

Go to the derby lift and do laps of the blue renard and belette

+1
Those two runs are excellent whether on board or skis. I managed to break the 50mph barrier on Belette. Lots of nice lumpy bits at the sides to play in too. I think we lapped them about 10 times a day Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE, I agree, very few boarders last weekend, maybe it was the cold. There did seem a lot of flat bits connecting lifts, bad enough on skis, horrible on a board. This was at 2000/1950 , seemed better at 1600.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
vickitav, Lot of cat-tracks around the place, but theres plenty of alternatives too. If you get over to La Plagne, try and get to the area beneth Colorado chair, between the Luge run and the Pollux/Arnica runs - great little canyon run, almost like a natural half-pipe. We wandered over there by chance, to find out what a mauve piste was (we thought it was a mid-point between a blue and a red - nope, sponsored by Milka, why knew). Have a look at the boardercross run at the top of Grizzly too, over on the Vallandry side.

Like sbirring says, find yourself a nice section and session it, rather than taking the whole touring view. We did the whole 'Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger' just to say we did it, IMO its not all that, reminded me of things like the ski-out at sunshine, you do it but it's not the best riding in the world.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE, blahblahblah, Seemed to be plenty of riders about a few weeks ago - and a noticable increase on that when the snow moved in, particularly taking the non-piste lines under chairs and the like.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really nice crusing blue from the top to the bottom of the Plan Bois chair towards Vallandry. The reds down to Vallandry are lovely on a board.

Re. riding narrow flat sections - stop avoiding them, force yourself to spend some time just doing narrow cat track greens for an hour or two, and you will get the hang of it to the point that you don't even worry or think about it and you will train the muscles that get tense on those flat bits. There's one that snakes down to Vallandry. It keeps criss-crossing the reds, so if you have really had enough you can dive off down the red.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We own a place up in 2000 and have tried to learn to snowboard. Initial lessons were in Tignes and that was good. Got a bit of shock back in the 2000 bowl first time we went out practicing as to the amount of flat, and flat hurts. I won't say we have given up on boarding but not far of. Simple rule now if there is fresh powder we get the bus down to 1600 and have a play on Mont Blanc. Outside of that we keep skis on. We still have nightmares over trying to get over from Arpette to 1600 on that long, long, long, long, long flat section. Skullie Skullie Skullie

Learning to snow board presents many issues compared to learning to ski. You learn to ski on flat but you need steep to learn to board. To do flat bits on a board you need speed, to get speed you need to learn to snowboard faster and with confidence that you ain't going to face plant. It s a 6 of one half dozen of the other world.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brilliant advice many thanks I will print out and take with me to examine with the piste map.

I have neve skied but am very jealous of you when I get stuck on a flat, or worse don't quite make it to the top of an incline and have to unstap for the last 10 feet before it heads off downhill again. Occaisonally a lovely skiier offers me a tow which is much appreciated!

In the right conditions it's fantastic fun, though, and we're quite happy to find a few favourite runs to do over while working on our technique. I'm sure youngest son & husband will be throwing theselves off the jumps in the park too - I'll be official photographer for that I think
ski holidays
Oh and Gazza will give the narrow ones another go, the kids love them but I find them really scary and almost always seem to end up face down at some point. Practice makes perfect I suppose....
snow report
vickitav wrote:
.............. and almost always seem to end up face down at some point....

Its so hard to explain to a skier the sheer pain of a face plant Skullie Skullie Sad
snow conditions
Bowl above Arc 2000 has loads of nice cruising runs, can avoid the flat with care! Go and have a go on the Boarder Cross course - it's pretty straightforward and fun
ski holidays
vickitav, I, and group of my friends snowboard in Les Arcs every year - this is our 12th year returning there. We really like it! - bertiebasset has already pointed out some great runs, which I agree with - Bellette is also a particular favourite fast red.

Don't worry about flats.... IMO they are generally avoidable and struggle to think of any necessary evils that can't be avoided, and you can still get nicely around the resort.

Don't do Le Foret (over in Peisey/Vallandry) it's obvious from the piste map that it's a cat track thou, I think. And, as already stated, avoid the middle of the 2000 bowl where it flattens off at the bottom of the Arcabulle chair. This, however, has been improved in recent years (they've put in a rope tow for the lazy skiers to get through the flat section - rolling eyes ) but more importantly the Plagnettes chair starts higher up and you can ride to that and get back up the hill rather than hitting the flat. Top of the Arpette chair 'may' be a little flat - but it's a slow scoot for 100yds or so from the top of the chair before you gather some speed - don't think this should really cause a problem.

Snowpark / boarder cross are all great. Airbag - superfun!

Moguls.... not too much of a problem. Clair Blanc ('red') is horrible and often left mogully. As is the 'skiers' left side of the Cachette down to 1600 - but then the right side tends to get mogully too. Blacks of course, tend to get mogulled. But for flattering black - give the Ecuriels a go over in Peisey.... it's more red than black, tends to be less skied out and hence no moguls - really good fun on a board.

Have a great time... I'm over for our annual trip on the 22nd and looking forward to some great conditions!
latest report
Oh, and you might wish to avoid top of Arandelieres from the top of the Varet bubble - it's a narrow track for a few 100m before you drop onto a decent bit of piste.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy