Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie Half term error

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

A very new newbie here - foolishly didnt occur to me that next week is Half term - consequently all the private tuition is booked out in Vaujany where we are staying.

Anyone any other recommendations for private tuition? Or indeed can advise if we could go to Alpe D'Huez for lessons on our first day? We've done a day skiing before, but no where near confident to be venturing on our own anywhere!

Many thanks

Go easy on me - I'm so green, the Tories are contemplating cutting all funding to me...

Niall
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
niallmanogue, welcome to Snowheads. And commiserations - what a pain!

I booked the very last hour available next week, in our local ski school, for a niece who left it v late to decide whether she wanted lessons. And that was several weeks ago. she'd wanted three lessons, but was lucky to get even one. I suspect there will be nothing at all available by way of private lessons.

Every instructor will be out on the slopes, including the old and the daft. wink

I think your best bet will be to get on the telephone tomorrow and see if you can book yourselves into beginner lessons. Group lessons can be very good fun, and will give you lift priority. You may well find that others in the group will have done a day or so, too - and the ski school will move you up, hopefully, if you're more advanced than the rest. Often, the afternoon lessons are less heavily subscribed than the morning ones - and will give you a less frenetic start in the mornings.

I don't know that resort, and what is practical with the geography - but somebody who knows will be along soon, no doubt.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Niall,

Get on the phone to ESF in Vaujany. Ask for Wendy who is, and speaks English. They will sort you into a suitable level and get you out safely on the hill. Being ESF at UK half term, there will be no Damscene moment in your progress but you'll have done the best that you can given the circumstances.

The local Montfrais area is fairly gentle and ESF all meet by the lift Station in Vaujany. As Pam points out, every type of instructor will be out there from kids to ancient mountain guides but no matter who you get , you'll learn something. The old stagers tend to get given the more advanced groups where they can do less damage.

The snow is good. Just enjoy !

Tim
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
godthatssteep wrote:
The local Montfrais area is fairly gentle.

I was going to post the same sentiment. If you totally luck out with the lessons, you've little to fear round Montfrais so long as you can reliably turn and stop.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Morning all,

Many thanks for the advice and words of encouragement!

Just off the phone with ESF (thanks Tim) - they have sorted us out! Not sure how really - as the first email back said they were full up, but best not to ask too many questions.

Booked private lesson for the first two days, hoping that we can venture out on our own on the last day! Montfrais sounds like a good suggestion.

thanks everyone,
Niall
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Montfrais is great for beginners because you can either cruise or blast it. Eidlewiess is long and wide and the Vaujanette depends on whether they bash in or not. Sometimes bumpy , sometimes just steep . It's all good . Stieffs bar will sort out any aches and pains !

Have fun.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy