Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Android Ski App

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Can anyone recommend an Android ski app, which tracks where you've been, distance covered, max speed etc? I've seen Ski Tracks on an iPhone which seems really good but I don't think it exists on Android. Going to 3V on Sunday so want to get before then. And will it work in Whistler which is also planned.

Also, and I know this is pathetic, but will it work if I turn data roaming off as I don't want a big bill from Orange on return!

Thanks in anticipation
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use satski which seems pretty good. Works fine with data off but GPS on, just download the right map before you go. Androids eat Apples for breakfast BTW.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't actually used any yet, because I only got my Android phone 2 hours before my last trip, and didn't download any until afterwards.

But there are a few similar apps around:
Satski (Lite version is free, full version £3.20)
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.satski.ski5&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnNhdHNraS5za2k1Il0.

Alpine Replay (Free) - I have installed this one
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alpinereplay.android&feature=also_installed

Slope Track (Free)
https://market.android.com/details?id=ch.suva.slopetrack&feature=also_installed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3V have their own apps which are free and track you. Didn't work on my Sony Ericson when I was out there last week but I often have problems with its GPS back home so not sure if that was the issue.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried a few when in Les Arcs and found My Tracks was the best of the bunch of freebies I tested
(alpine replay, my tracks, endomondo, the les arcs own tracker) beware ones which won't work without a data connection, that costs money if you're on international roaming without a plan in place (£3 per Mb!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Apemap - good topo maps for Austria, not looked for other countries. Good for off piste navigation, my tracks better for recording speed, distance etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="alex_heney"]
Satski (Lite version is free, full version £3.20)

£3.20! What do you think I am, made of money? I could have a half pint or a coffee for that sort of money. Be sensible now. Smile

Thanks for the advice folks, will take a look and report back.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Big Dave,

The Satski lite doesn't support any of the GPS functions I believe....
I have Endomondo and Sports Tracker on my HTC... I only used Sports Tracker in anger for skiing. It was good but never actually compared it to anything else directly.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just buy an iPhone Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Legend., and become a tool of the Cult of Steve, NEVER! Now go update your apps by hand. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's worth noting a couple of points:

1) GPS tracking does not actually need any maps (and therefore Data roaming) to work. You'll need the map if you wish to visualize your activity against it but conceivably you can then wait until you're home or within Wifi access to "view your tracks/maps"

2) There is a little know caching functionality in Google Maps (and a lot of those free apps rely on Google maps). You need a fairly recent version and then (this might differ a bit depending on your phone/android version) once into Google Maps go:
Menu > Setting > Labs > Pre-Cache Map area (ensure that option is ticked ON)
Then search for your destination/resort in Google Maps, hit said place tag in the map area and under the "More Actions" title you should have a "pre-cache map area" item. Just select this.
It'll cache the maps in a 10miles radius.
Each specific cache can then be cleared separately via Settings > Cache Settings > Pre-cached map areas

This will only cache the map layer, not the satellite one. And since, for the purpose of skiing, pistes areas aren't hugely detailed the use of that is a bit limited but useful nonetheless..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, I was just advocating buying the better product, none of this oneupmanship that often goes on. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just returned from La Tzoumaz and spent a few days using Google My Tracks on my Samsung Galaxy

Very simple to use and pretty accurate. Runs off the GPS with no need for roaming or data charges. Didn't drain the battery too much.

Gives you loads of data and a pretty map to look at. I believe that if you download the My Tracks editing tool you can export maps to Facebook to annoy your non-skiing mates.

I have no idea why they haven't released a version of Ski Tracks for Android.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used alpine replay last week in Tignes and it worked perfect but only for the first day

I dont know weather it was the app or the GPS on my phone but after the 1st day it couldn't find my location and logged my speed as 600mph
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurdy wrote:
I've just returned from La Tzoumaz and spent a few days using Google My Tracks on my Samsung Galaxy

Very simple to use and pretty accurate. Runs off the GPS with no need for roaming or data charges. Didn't drain the battery too much.

Gives you loads of data and a pretty map to look at. I believe that if you download the My Tracks editing tool you can export maps to Facebook to annoy your non-skiing mates.

Thanks for this advice. I downloaded Google My Tracks also on a Samsung Galaxy. Took a bit of getting used to (blame me, not the app) but after a couple of false starts it worked really well and was very informative and interesting. I think Ski Tracks possibly had the edge - someone in our party downloaded it to their iPhone - but overall was very pleased with My Tracks. Thanks Hurdy, and everyone else who contributed...
snow report
Hi there,
Here's one that I'm developing. It's full 3D with GPS tracking. It's only for Whistler at the moment though...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.raindesign.threesixty.whistler
snow conditions
Hurdy wrote:

They have now (I realise this is an old thread)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.corecoders.skitracks&hl=en
ski holidays
Hutchy wrote:
I used alpine replay last week in Tignes and it worked perfect but only for the first day

I dont know weather it was the app or the GPS on my phone but after the 1st day it couldn't find my location and logged my speed as 600mph

Alpine Replay seems pretty acurate ime. Although sometimes the sonic boom effect can disrupt your gps signal as you break through the sound barrier. Hope you were wearing earplugs.
latest report
I used ski tracks and topped 129 kph. Very impressed my chalet mates until I realised that at the time I was probably walking downstairs!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy