Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ankle/Shin pain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I've read a few interesting posts on the subject but was hoping for personal opinions.

After kitting myself up before xmas with new Burton Ruler boots and a short(ish) 152cm K2 twin board, i decided to wear my boots indoors to do them in before the season.

Having set my bindings at 15/-15 with an equal stance front to back hoping to learn switch, i set off on the slopes last week. Whilst my fitness is far from being great, i didn't expect to be so disabled by the pain in my forward foot ankle on the first day (as if i'd twisted my ankle), having to stop every 3-4 mns to rest my leg. (limiting my days to a max of 4hrs on the slopes :/)

I tried with my boots nice and tight, but also a bit looser, but still same problem.
After a couple of days the pain rose from the ankle along my shin muscle (tibialis anterior?) so i changed my bindings angle to 21/-6 hoping it would relieve the pressure on my muscle. It did for a while but eventually got worse. I ended up having to do lots of turns, just to relieve the strain on my leg, whilst still stopping very regularly :/

Any ideas if the problem could be due to:
- lack of strength in this muscle? If so, how do i work on it before next trip?
- too narrow stance? if so, should i move bindings back or forward , wider or narrower, to relieve pressure on my forward foot shin?

And before you ask, my trousers lining was not tucked in the boot over my sock Smile My back foot felt really comfortable and had no issues with it.
This kind of spoiled my holiday as i felt like a beginner again, not taking risks in fear of hurting myself even further.

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Few things that are worth looking at:
1. Binding straps too tight?
2. Did you try midway between 15/-15 and 21/-6? What was the result?
3. How do you stand naturally?
4. Don't start the day with boots "nice and tight".
5. How wide is your stance on the board?
6. Did you try changing the angle on your highbacks? What happened?
7. Was your back foot comfortable at -15 and -6? Are you putting too much weight on your front foot? Maybe have a instructor check out your riding - they should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Just a few ideas. All the best for the next trip.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Faceplantress! Smile

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully it won't take too long to find the most comfortable setup!

1. Binding straps too tight? Nope
2. Did you try midway between 15/-15 and 21/-6? What was the result? I didn't try
3. How do you stand naturally? near 15/-15
4. Don't start the day with boots "nice and tight". Also tried starting with lower fairly tight and upper boot a bit looser but same problem Sad
5. How wide is your stance on the board? About 40cm (for 173cms in height). wondered if i should move front binding forward a bit to alleviate pressure on outside shin muscle?
6. Did you try changing the angle on your highbacks? What happened? haven't tried that. What weould be the benefit of doing so?
7. Was your back foot comfortable at -15 and -6? Are you putting too much weight on your front foot? Maybe have a instructor check out your riding - they should be able to pinpoint the problem. Back foot was comfortable throughout so yes, too much weight on front foot, maybe due to bad technique. Planning on getting instructor to check it out.

Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy some of these for reducing pain from pressure of boots?

http://www.shinshields.com/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy