Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which skis for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back form my fourth week skiing, Invested in boots which were a God send. Decided it's time for my own skis and multiple trips each season.

Had an amazing instructor who was throwing us down next weeks women's world cup run in Soldeu on day 2, jumping off things into the 2 foot of fresh pow pow and generally having a lot of fun while teaching us without us realising he was. Paul O, didn't catch his surname but the man will stick long in my memory for changing the way I ski and the enjoyment I take from it! He suggested the level of skier I am know I should be investing in some skis that I can carve on, but also venture and play in the soft stuff.

I am 189 cm (6'2"), 105 kg (approx 17 st), due to rugby more than eating and boozing (although they have contributed).
Mainly spending my time on reds, very very few blues (only with the Mrs or if they are the only way home) and becoming more and more confident on blacks everytime I go on one (including the odd moguled run). Playing off piste more and really enjoying the feeling of skiing powder.

To me, upon discussion with a few friends over beer thinking we are going to be the next Cuche/Ligety/Miller,we came up with a shortlist, with the help of Snowheads

Atomic nomad

Atomic Blackeye

Salomon BBR (sorry I know I'll kick someone off about these but It would be good to hear genuine thoughts on them)

Volkl Kendo

Atomic Theory

Please help me add/remove from this list as I will be heading to snow and rock to have a chat with them today or tomorrow, then hopefully to hemel to demo some if they have them
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are all I'm sure very good skis. I don't have experience on any of them so can only make generic recommendations:

1) You are wise to try before you buy, but you won't get the full variety of snow and terrain in a snow dome so bear that in mind.

2) Atomic Nomad is a range of skis, so you need to think about which you're interested in.

3) From your description you're after an "all mountain" ski, and the Blackeyes fit this bill well and are very popular with other snowheads

4) With your weight you will probably benefit from a stiffer ski (e.g. with Atomic they often do two versions, one normal, one Ti which is stiffer) but sadly this also equates to more expensive. I have the opposite; being less than 2/3rds your weight I can get by with a lighter, more flexible, and often cheaper pair of skis.

5) It's a good time to buy, with a lot of reductions in the mid-season sales, so shop around and haggle.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Atomic Theory is good if you want most time in mixed snow, but you will have to be very strong skier to be able to handle them on sun drenched rock hard pistes of March; if you want a piste only ski that will handle an occasional dusting this isn't it. Yes I have skied a pair.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85728
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB,

Thanks, have seen that thread but noticed the posters dimensions are the other end of the scale from me.

Cynic, That seems to be the problem and the reason the search for the holy grail that is the genuine 'all mountain ski' exists!

kieranm, Very useful, thanks, I have so much to learn it seems
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, thanks! Very Happy

temitchell, yup, I'm a midget in comparison! Wink The problem is that testing in a dome gives you an idea of what might suit you but its just that, an idea. The only way you can be certain is spending a day on each trying all of them out. Beware, some of the more popular sizes are disappearing. Also, with your height, I think the Blackeye ti might not suit in terms of sizes but I may be wrong. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

PS: If you do decide on one, pm me, I've done some searching as to good prices and am happy to share the info. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rishie,

my feeling exactly, but it's better than buying without a look at all. If I do manage another trip this season I'll hopefully try a few out in some proper conditions
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
temitchell, The all mountain ski does exist, it is the skier who makes it so by being able to ski the entire mountain consistently before moving on to find the ski which suits his needs, not cover his inabilities.

My friend has a shop, Snowpark in Tignes Le Lac, has all shapes, sizes, brands, rents them out you choose.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic,
Quote:

the ski which suits his needs, not cover his inabilities.

But my need is to have my inabilities covered!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd say go for Scott or Fischer (the skis designed by the same designer who does the Scott ones)

look at aztec pro for lightweight or missions for a bit heavier build person.

the reason why is that the tip is very curved and it's a long way down the ski before contact is made, so when you hard to soft it rides through without throwing you off and when you put it on the side angle it carves a tight turn, then in the moguls you'll find the tip is not so long as you thought and when you jump, they land so flat it's amazing. so you can go all mountain conditions with these.

they ain't cheap but worth every penny and you'll never look back

all my ski buds are wearing scott and we wouldn't consider anything less....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slidergirl, Missions were cheap £350 now alas... are the rocker ski better than the non? I have owned the pre rockers but none of the new ones.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have now skied for 3 weeks on salomon bbr's. You would have to brake my legs to get them off me. They get better the more i use them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
temitchell wrote:
I am 189 cm (6'2"), 105 kg (approx 17 st), due to rugby more than eating and boozing (although they have contributed)

Identical to me, and pretty much same ski experience... I hired a pair of Rossignol S3's and they are by far the best ski I have used, were really fun on groomed piste and even better off piste in the pow, worth a try, I'm getting myself a pair sometime before the next season starts Wink

http://www.rossignol.com/US/US/s3_RA1SV01_product_ski-men-skis.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy