Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots great for first 3 days but not by the end of the week, what would you suggest?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I recently returned from a weeks skiing in Scheffau in my new ski boots (Atmoic M80).

Background to buying the boots:
My left foot is half a size bigger than right. I have size 11 feet but slim ankles, shins and calves. Boot fitter used volume reducing insole (inside the liner) and a Body Tech Winter Sports insole (placed on top of above insole) for foot bed support. The bigger foot had a slightly thinner insole fitted (inside the liner). Buckles on boot done up in the middle range with the buckle round the toes on the biggest setting. Boot liners were heated up then clamped tight to my feet with a toe box. With my bare foot in the shell I have 1 inch of space at the back of the boot.

Each night after skiing I remove the liner and insoles from the boot and let them dry naturally in the room. The shells are left on the rack in the boot room which gave little heat.

Day 1
Wore thick socks.
Lots of powder on piste due to constant snow fall.
Boots felt firm around foot and shin, giving good feedback with hired Elan amphibio skis. Had one big toe bang on the left foot on last run of the day. Fitted a slightly thicker insole to match the right boot and didn’t experience any more toe bang on following days.

Day 2
Tried thinner ski socks which have thicker parts around toes and shins.
Snow conditions same as day 1.
Left boot felt great with thicker insole.
Right boot was rubbing on my little toe, tried adjusting the boot straps and making sure heal was back as far as possible but little toe was still sore.

Day 3.
Went back to thicker ski socks.
Still snowing so powder on piste.
Thicker socks reduced the discomfort with little toe on right boot and by afternoon I wasn’t noticing any pain on the little toe. Really enjoying skiing and connection with ski boot to ski.

Day 4
Clear sky but pistse had not been groomed so very lumpy.
In the afternoon start to notice boots don’t feel as snug so less feedback and control, tightening buckles give some improvement. Noticing more flex when moving shins forward into ski position.

Day 5
Clear ski piste groomed.
Noticing boots no longer feels snug around ankles and more travel when pushing shins against tongue of boot. When making turns feel less confident as reduced feeling around ankles and shins. Skis starting to feel unstable at times with sensation of unstable ankles with boot/ski wobble side to side.
Having to put top two buckles on nearly the tightest settings but this causes cold numb toes. Try increasing bottom buckles but this causes pain on instep.

Day 6
Clear sky piste groomed.
Similar experience to day 5, try adjusting boots all day to increase fit but using tighter settings causes cold/ numb toes. Looking at insoles the volume reduces have been compacted on the heel.

Please can you help me get my ski boots to feel how they did on the first 3 days?

Many thanks,
Jimi
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take them back, they don't fit if this what you paid for, ask for your money back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I have size 11 feet but slim ankles, shins and calves. Boot fitter used volume reducing insole (inside the liner) and a Body Tech Winter Sports insole (placed on top of above insole) for foot bed support.

the M tech is certainly not a slim fitting boot, sounds like you have everything bar the kitchen sink in there, whilst the length may be good the volume sounds like there is way too much which is allowing your foot to move around hitting the toe until you tighten things up and cut off the blood to the foot completely
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like they are not the right boots for you, where did you get them from? Does the shop offer any form of fit guarantee???
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have emailed the shop this evening with what I posted yesterday. They are over 100 miles away as I bought them just after Christmas when I was staying at my parents. I spent about 3 hours in the shop trying on different boots and insoles. They said to come back to them if I had any problems so I'll wait to see what they say.

Just to confirm the boots are just M80 http://www.atomic.com/en/Products/Alpine/Boots/All%20Mountain/M_80/AE5003920.aspx?filter=468%3a2%3b535%3a5
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy