Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you ski??

Poster: A snowHead
tomb, I know you didn't...

As I said:
bobmcstuff wrote:
meh, I was exaggerating of course.

And as I also said, it sounds much more reasonable knowing you did a few months of dryslope first!

Good effort anyway.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomb wrote:

bobmcstuff, i never once made out i was a pro... its all down to your interpretation of my OP and the eagerness in which you seemingly want to publically chastise people. How this benefits you or others on this board i don’t know? (Perhaps its to reassure your sense of inflated self-importance??)
My intention was to start a jovial discussion on how people like to spend their ski holiday... had i know that you and other were going to dissect my OP to this degree, then i would of written an essay ensuring there was no misunderstanding...

Can't help feeling singling me out there is a little unfair. All I meant was "blacks in first week, really?", which you basically answered by saying you'd been doing dryslope for a few months first... Wasn't me having a go about out of control beginners running down kids etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just came back off a two week ski in the dolimities but I thought some of the black ones where easier than some of the bumpy reds, so I guess it all depends on the slopes
Razz
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobmcstuff wrote:
tomb wrote:

bobmcstuff, i never once made out i was a pro... its all down to your interpretation of my OP and the eagerness in which you seemingly want to publically chastise people. How this benefits you or others on this board i don’t know? (Perhaps its to reassure your sense of inflated self-importance??)
My intention was to start a jovial discussion on how people like to spend their ski holiday... had i know that you and other were going to dissect my OP to this degree, then i would of written an essay ensuring there was no misunderstanding...

Can't help feeling singling me out there is a little unfair. All I meant was "blacks in first week, really?", which you basically answered by saying you'd been doing dryslope for a few months first... Wasn't me having a go about out of control beginners running down kids etc.

I do apologies as you seem to have bore the brunt of my frustration but i hope you can understand that after 2 days of defending myself from the character assassination i have been subjected to, that my patients is running thin. I sincerely hope now we can maybe draw a line under this whole topic...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomb wrote:
Also do you have any other recommendations for good technical skiing books???

I particularly like Bob Barnes' book "The Complete Encyclopedia of Skiing" - unfortunately I think it's out of print now, but you can get it in pdf format from here. And the Ron LeMaster one - Ultimate Skiing is good for the photo montages which show what is happening at each stage of a turn

I'msure some of the other snowHead's will have other suggestions to add.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

gatecrasher, I dont understand what you’re getting at here?? Are you suggesting that im a whippersnapper and as such am unable to understand what i did during my ski holiday? p.s i don’t mean to sounds cranky... i really just don’t understand

tomb, No I think it was more of a suggestion that I wasn’t particularly young when I started so maybe that’s why speed really wasn’t and still isn’t my main goal (not to suggest yours is!) I guess what I'm really saying is...and echoing Okanagan, first comments that in the future you will have a completely different perspective on where you are really at in your skiing journey and perhaps your perception now of "carving a red run" etc. may in fact hold a completely different feeling in the future...

I applaud your enthusiasm & excitement and maybe we shouldn’t stifle this... but maybe it was just the way you sort of came across on your OP, I still get excited even at my age!! As I said keep doing what you’ve been doing, you bought a very good book & as suggested definitely give the race training a good look at, I do a bit from time to time and it's really helping but it's also important to mix this up with other things..advanced training courses, freestyle or possibly even instructor training depending what you want out of it...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey tomb. I have just come upon this thread. Don't be surprised that your opening post got the reaction it did. There was a very strong smell of bovine faeces from it, and no amount of back-pedalling since has removed the pong Very Happy

I came upon an on-piste accident yesterday and was tending to a guy with an injured, possibly dislocated shoulder and a copiously bleeding wound behind his ear. The outcome of a collision. Don't be surprised that people react the way they have to people who boast, " But we tended to spend most of the time hurtling down a piste at breakneck speeds."

That being said, welcome to this amazingly wonderful sport and hope you have many (safe) years of skiing.

@rosco5, That was La Face in Val d'Isère? No bumps? It was different the last time i skied it. Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely you ( we) all spend too much time worrying about what/ how/ how fast we skied. In the words of my first ski instructor "ees all white" when asked what colour run we were on!
Ski what's in front of you in the appropriate manner! ( even if it is shuffling on your back bottom)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Q : How do you ski?
A: My skiing involves continually cursing my lack of fitness whilst promising myself that it'll never allow myself to go skiing whilst unfit again. My lack of fitness is compensated for by lots of Ibrufen and a refusal to ski less.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For me the answer is:-

Variably

Sometimes I ski well, sometimes I ski badly, sometimes I ski with a smile and sometimes I'm grumpy

I like bumps, fluffy, powder on a pisted base, I like to bomb down empty pistes and cruise around with buddies, I can 'restaurant ski' with the best of them - 3 stops before lunch is my record and that on a sunny day or blat around 30 plus lifts in one day.

Some days I like to ski the same run 15 times other days I won't ski the same run twice. Somedays I like the sunshine, other times i can enjoy flat light (but only for a day or two). Sometimes I'm happy pottering around at the bottom of the hill, othertimes i need to climb every mountain. Ocassionally I'll even chop in the planks for a board and have some fun on that.

The great thing about skiing is that you can do all of that in just one trip snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomb wrote:
My question is... what type of skiing do you guys normally prefer doing on a ski holiday?

I just love being in the mountains so enjoy all types of skiing from the baby slopes in the sunshine when the kids were small to more adventurous pistes, and off piste in varying ski and weather conditions. Always learning and improving. But in all probability would still go up the mountains even if I could not ski for some reason to take in the break taking views and get some good exercise Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To answer the OP question first, these days I mostly ski as self appointed Lanterne Rouge at the back of the back, looking after my wife, occasionally I try to keep up with my daughter (a very strong skier) but rarely follow her off piste. your experience reminds me of the blast I had when I first learned about 20 years ago (and I was already not that young) with an ESF instructor of a similar vintage to myself. Didn't do anywhere near as much as you (I had also practiced on dry slope) but tackled a wide variety, sideslipping steep bits as appropriate. I was only doing stem turns, but had the time of my life following the instructor down a half pipe, I've been addicted to them ever since.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni wrote:
rosco5, oooo, nasty pisting there...ouch!

Certainly not up to Italian standards of bashing. The Italians seem to have piste bashing down to a fine art.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rosco5 wrote:

Anyway this was me smashing down La Face in Val d'isere!

http://youtube.com/v/gph3QQFDFuo&context=C3dddb48ADOEgsToPDskLeZIg6BSVSqjSmraR4NeSv[/url]

Every turn is an admission of fear you know wink

Nice run, I've never skied it without bumps on it. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like skiing all sorts, my mood can change from one run to the next. I do like a good blast down a nice wide empty piste, big GS turns are great. Very Happy
snow conditions
Spyderman,
Quote:

I like skiing all sorts,
+1
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
Also do you have any other recommendations for good technical skiing books???

I like this book: 'The All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing' by R. Mark Elling. You can read the beginning of the book on Amazon.

And this website: www.youcanski.com

I ski mainly on-piste and like the feeling of travelling, so larger resorts like the Three Valleys are my kind of thing. I get frustrated if I feel like I'm skiing the same pistes over and over again. I also feel hard done by if I can't have a burst of speed a few times per day, e.g. if the pistes are too busy to do it safely.

I like variety in skiing style and terrain, apart from large moguls which my knees prefer me to avoid. I love skiing on soft snow on-piste, even if it is just the stuff that has been shoved to the edges of the pistes by other skiers. My biggest skiing thrills definitely come from making longer, faster, inclined turns but I'm happy enough skiing at medium speeds most of the time.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
I like skiing all sorts

I'm sure bertie bassett can sort you out. Toofy Grin
latest report
Inconsistently (is my answer).

geepee, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy