Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altitude Sickness At 2000m?

Poster: A snowHead
Laughing I hope you finished the coke at nearly €7. Glad you're on the mend. Best bet is just to get on with it - you only get one shot at it!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
6.70 euros for a coke, WTF! (scrubs Meribel off list of potential destinations for this year's trip...)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ricklovesthepowder, Very Happy

Pricey coke Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Meribel known to be more expensive (ie in same bracket as VdI) ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey, paid €3.90 for a coke on the hill in Val Thorens and thought that was expensive enough...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

Had a glass of coke, €6.70 Shocked

well that would make me sick wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is a full run down of the cost.

Coke 6.70
Beer 7.10
Burger and chips and omelette and sales came to a total of €51 including the above costs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder,

dude

why are you skiing
at such an expensive resort ?

ok bye
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
T Bar, it was a mild Altitude sickness not a bug. And all the group were affected to different degrees. The altiude can have such an effect when you combine it with prevailing weather conditions, excessively dry atmosphere both inside and outside and huge temperature differences between outisde and inside.

Not all altitude related illnesses are as dramatic as those experienced by Himalayian climbers! And children are particularly sensitive to the changes bought about by the combination of factors described above. It was the only time we had this problem despite using the same resort and accommodation on a number of occasions.

The symptoms were not evident in the coach on the journey to the resort as 24 hours all together would have given at least the carrier time to infect some and for the first symptoms to appear. The symptoms all appeared to one degree or another in the whole group within the first 3 to 4 hours in the resort hotel. They all disappeared within 24 hours for the majority, 36 hours for a few and not all for the idiot who refused to test out the nurses' advice. The particularly marked common symptoms were the severe headaches, feelings of dizziness and nausea. Some were feverish, all had the shivers to some extent or another and the loss of appetite.

At no time did we had any actual vomiting or diarrhoea, had we had any of that we would have called the doctor in as that would have meant a gastro-intestinal infection/virus of some kind.

Sorry, this is nonsense. You state that you have been with parties many times to the same place and this is the only time there were problems. The altitude was the same every time so there must have been another factor causing the illness.
Children are not particularly sensitive to the changes of altitude or altitude sickness, all the evidence suggests they have the same susceptibilites as other age groups.
A dry atmosphere may leave you a bit prone to dry mucous membranes and respiratory infections/ sore throats, there is no reason to believe it may leave you suscpetible to altitude changes that I can conceive .
Being feverish and shivering are not features of mild altitude sickness. The sypmtoms of altiude sickness tend to appear after 6-12 hours although they can be earlier. Whatever your party suffered from it was not altitude sickness. The advice of drinking plenty and taking rest should work just as well for a mild self limiting bug.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, glad you're a bit better, lets hope you're back to 100% tomorrow if the shock of a (near) 7e coke doesnt get you first!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder,
Hope you carry on improving, if you want to avoid a repeat of the nausea do not under any circumstances watch the refereeing decisions of a certain high profile premier league game played betwen two plastic clubs yesterday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, Drink water , don't eat cr@p , if your feeling unwell, and you will be back to 100% sooner rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neilski, It was the first thing I had eat in 2 days, I feel better now though, but still not 100%. Thanks for the kind words guys, can't believe how big the ski area actually is. Off to courchevel area tomorrow, just won't eat in restaurant though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, That's your opinion.

I prefer to believe and respect that of the local medical services and an experienced expedition nurse who were there at the time. It was the unique combination of cold, atmospheric pressure and dryness that made that one time a problem. We often have pressure related headaches occur here during strong Föhn conditions. These are worse in certain geographical locations because the topography has a huge impact, e.g. In the Inntal, as it exits the mountains near Rosenheim, acts as a wind tunnel and exaggerates the effect of the Föhn.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue,
I am not sure which bit is meant to be just my opinion.
It is a well referenced fact that children are no more susceptible to the effects of altitude.
I didn't think the local medical services were consulted? Or perhaps I misundrestood your statement that a you would have only called a doctor if they had a GI upset.
It is easy to blame the altitude but the altitude remains the same then you blame the weather for being feverish frankly it is not true.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, Off to courchevel area tomorrow, just won't eat in restaurant though!

Then you will be missing Chalet Pierres, at base of the couloirs Grand will be at it's best, or the Swiss; Bistro du Praz in 1350 you must ski Jockeys or you haven't skied Courchevel, or lighter lunch in le Peupliers across the road. Courchevel is the jewel of 3V, tremendous OP excellent piste prep, next time stay in Le Praz guaranteed below HMS level and good VFM.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, Just as well you're ill, with prices like that you can't afford to be out skiing and stuff Laughing
Off to les arcs on Thursday, that's only €5.50-6 for a pint, bargain
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Here is a full run down of the cost.

Coke 6.70
Beer 7.10
Burger and chips and omelette and sales came to a total of €51 including the above costs.

Shocked Where was that Shocked A total rip off,no other word for it Sad
For the price of your coke,I was getting a meal in Austria at Christmas.And the beer was €2.50.With prices at that level,they deserve it if people desert them in droves!

Glad you're feeling better.Just avoid the resto's or you will be sick again wink
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, glad you're feeling a bit better. Coke is quite good if you're not 100%, I think, but buy it (and the beer..... not so good if you're sick) in a supermarket. wink Hope you're feeling well enough to enjoy Courchevel tomorrow. snowHead
snow report
Don't be such a girl, get down the bar and start drinking!
ski holidays
Cheers pam w, Feel much better today and this evening. Chalet night off so had a lovely pizza. I've just managed a beer for the first time on holiday, can't wait for courchevel and mount vallon tomorrow.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

Feel much better today and this evening.

Great, hope you are able to enjoy the resort now, bit miserable not being able to make full use of the area.
snow conditions
Can you suffer with reverse altitude sickness??? I have been feeling rough since we got back to near sea level at the weekend.... but maybe its a bit of detoxing too going on as trying hard to give up for February, well a few days at a time! Maybe its just depression at being out of the mountains of course Sad
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Cheers pam w, Feel much better today and this evening. Chalet night off so had a lovely pizza. I've just managed a beer for the first time on holiday, can't wait for courchevel and mount vallon tomorrow.

Now that's a run that always gives me the heebie-jeebies at the top (I think it's the sign showing a skier falling off the mountain that does it.)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy