Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warm knees = healthy knees. How to keep them *warm*?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

We all know that a warm knee is a more healthy knee. Long term- less wear & tear during exercise (warmer fluid = better lubrication), short term- less prone to injury Smile

Am i right in saying Its also fairly well established that wearing firm knee supports without an existing injury is worse for the knee- as it causes surrounding & supportive tissue to weaken- ultimately making you more prone to injury.

So- how do we keep knees warm without supporting them too much?

How about a very weak knee sleeve? The cyclists seem to use them as they are clearly v prone to wind chill

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-3d-knee-warmer-516.html

Squeeze a bit of deep heat gel in there as you put them on and you have very warm knees Smile

What do you think? Good plan or foolish?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
billy_boy_2010, compression tights
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica wrote:
billy_boy_2010, compression tights

better than the knee wraps i linked too?

I ordered a pair a few hours ago......

I can easily cancel the order if compression tights are known to be far better ..............??? Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
billy_boy_2010, compression tights cover more than just the knees, otherwise it's the same sort of principle.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use neoprene knee supports (the ones without the rigid supports down the sides). They are great at keeping my knees warm and provide a certain amount of support but not really enough to weaken surrounding muscles.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
billy_boy_2010 wrote:
Hi guys

We all know that a warm knee is a more healthy knee. Long term- less wear & tear during exercise (warmer fluid = better lubrication), short term- less prone to injury Smile

I can't say that I have ever seen any evidence that this is true. To prove it somebody would have to put a temperature probe into a knee to check synovial fluid temperature in a cold environment. Given the huge blood supply to the femur and tibia along with the heat output of all the leg muscles you use while skiing, I can't believe that the temperature would be much below core temperature unless you were significantly hypothermic with circulatory shut-down to your peripheries.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
billy_boy_2010 wrote:
Hi guys

I can't say that I have ever seen any evidence that this is true. To prove it somebody would have to put a temperature probe into a knee to check synovial fluid temperature in a cold environment. Given the huge blood supply to the femur and tibia along with the heat output of all the leg muscles you use while skiing, I can't believe that the temperature would be much below core temperature unless you were significantly hypothermic with circulatory shut-down to your peripheries.

I see your point- but IMO a warmer = better stands to reason....

The warmer the synovial fluid the less viscous it is and the better at lubricating.

The warmer the tendons & joins around the knee are the less prone to injury they are
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the neoprene ones with the metal supports - they have saved me frmo 2 serious wipe outs in 3 years which would have knackered my ACLs
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Warm knees are good! But also it's important to balance right. If you're leaning forward or backwards when you're skiing your knees will be under more strain. If you're balancing in the centre, you'll not only be less likely to get injured but you'll also ski loads better. If you want to message me (top right of screen) I can give you more info about a trainer than can help you - I don't want to get too promotional in this forum.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tubigrips are cheap and washable. I don't really believe in even the metal stayed neoprene jobbies as a prophylactic but they might help stabilise a wobbly joint.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've always used the basic neoprene knee supports. Just a personal preference and I did once have some minor knee surgery.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy