Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how many layers

Poster: A snowHead
- 22 in some resorts without wind

How many layers do you weari?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1969jma, we've just done that one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85798 wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm on 5 plus a shell. I could have done with one more.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thermal, long sleeved tshirt, fleece top, fleece body warmer, jacket. Could have done with one more.
Hand Warmers in gloves at all times- neck gaiter thing up over my nose, ESP on lifts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from L2A, -20 on Friday - cold doesn't even come into it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Never worn more than one layer under my ski jacket and salopettes. Thermal layer on cold days, just a thin base layer otherwise.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jocrad, I was up there on Friday wearing thermal, two fleeces and a down jacket. Was fine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1969jma, Between 3 and 4 depending on which layers I wear. On legs it will be two.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, me neither until it hit -21 in the car in the valley.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hate being too hot when skiing, or any form of exercise for that matter. I basically have spring and winter skiing jacket and just wear a base layer wiht a t-shirt over it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1969jma, 2-4 layers, including shell.

It's not so much about the amount of layers, but rather what layers you have. Throw in some wool and you'll be toasty.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Norway took me by surprise with the cold - I wore my pyjamas between my base and other layers Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did -30 in Banff/Sunshine about 10 years ago (it was sunny, just b*****y cold). That forced me to buy a fleece to wear under the jacket, and to invest in a long sleeved t-shirt. Before that I had only ever worn a t-shirt.

Just got back from Seefeld and I wish I had taken the fleece with me! My son loved the icicles in mybeard.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i need a good balaclava too i think, any suggestions with approx cost
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did a couple of days of -20 in Austria a few seasons back an think I was on 4 layers. Any more and I found I couldn't move! I think that with too many layers it is colder, maybe not true if you get super thin layers(Have never had any of the 'Skinz' stuff but would be interested to try it).

Base layer, double t shirt layer, fleece and then jacket. Not too technical and works for me.
Usually just the one thermal on the legs and then salopettes.

^^Balaclava is great for the mega cold conditions, otherwise my nose loves the frostnip.

Sidenote: I have a beard. I think this counts as insulation and an extra face layer!! However the ice build up possibly detracts from its warmth. Would be interested to hear from other beard wearers as to whether they find it is a good or bad thing in the cold. I wonder if the length of said beard affects its insulation properties greatly? A lot of old mountain guides I have seen rock the beard, but perhaps that is just to go with the image which seems to include a lot of duck tape and constantly smoking rollies! Laughing
snow conditions
Don't think I have ever skied in temperatures colder than about -15º. Which in fairness is a bit parky on chairlifts (not such an issue these days with bubble covers and heated seats, great inventions!), but I rarely get cold skiing and I would hate to have movement restricted by too much bulky clothing. I think with layers it's a case of quality over quantity.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy