Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Super Ski Pass - would you buy one?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm going to the Dolomites in March for the first time and was wondering whether I should buy an area pass or buy individual ones. Not sure its worth the hassle for the money saved ??

We're staying in Alba and tend to cover the mileage. We'll probably be going to Arabba, Marmolada, we'll do the Sella Ronda and may try the area behind Vigo.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Gaz
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best to get it, easy to drift into other sectors and have to buy an upgrade to get back. There's lot's of opportunities to ski all over the area in a day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from staying in Alba. We deliberated over this too as the Dolomiti Super Ski Pass is expensive. In the end we did get and it and was well worth it if you are intermediate skier or above as you can clock up the miles. The area around Alba/Pozzo/Vigo was great on our first day (Sunday) as there was no-one about and got the ski legs going again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You would be crazy not to Very Happy
It's a great value pass compared to other resorts
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An other vote for yes
Keep a note of the pass numbers and you can go on the web when you get back and it will show where you were
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe the Dolomites Superski pass is the best value in the world. A day pass in peak season is only 48 Euro that covers 510 chairlifts and 1200km piste in 12 skiing areas.

In practical term one cannot benefit from the coverage unless one has a car and manages to stay at the strategic locations to ski as many areas as possible.

The price of skiing any of the 12 individual areas is definitely cheaper but that depends also the resort. Sella Ronda is linked by 4 resorts (Selva Gardena, Alta Badia, Arabba & Canazei) so I think the Superski pass would applies. When I skied the Ampezzo Cortina the resort-specific day pass was 44 Euro for a single resort. Thus 48 Euro superski pass for the entire Dolomites is an unbeatable value for money. If one buys the ski pass for a single resort one have to make sure one stays inside the specified area. Places like Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri can be confusing as they could fall in either Ampezzo Cortina, Alta Badia or Arabba area.

Two week ago I skied Zermatt from Cervinia and the international day pass was 52 Euro. I saw a group of 7 snowboarders with only Italian side ski pass but went down to the Swiss side. When they tried to get back each had to pay 39 Euro supplement for skiing the 200km piste Zermatt in addition to the 150km piste of Cervinia. Had the snowboarders upgraded the pass in the Italian side the cost would have been only 30 Euro/head.

I think the average ski pass in Colorado resorts in USA is about double the Dolomites Superski but offer less than 1/5 of the skiing opportunities.

Personally a skier going to Dolomites and tries to save money by sticking to one of the 12 areas is a waste time and poor use of holidays. It is like going to 3V, the world's biggest linked resorts with 200 chairlifts and 600km piste, but never set the foot outside La Tania!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would agree with the others, the superski pass gives access to a huge area - and the key characteristic of the beautiful dolomites is being able to cover the big distances. Its good value and it would be a huge faf to have to go with the regional passes. You'll have a great time, and its one thing less to worry about. And I seem to recall that you can enter the unique code on your pass and get a print-out of the lifts (and therefore runs) that you did during your stay. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You would be insane not to. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaz_H wrote:
Hi - I'm going to the Dolomites in March for the first time and was wondering whether I should buy an area pass or buy individual ones. Not sure its worth the hassle for the money saved ??

We're staying in Alba and tend to cover the mileage. We'll probably be going to Arabba, Marmolada, we'll do the Sella Ronda and may try the area behind Vigo.

If you are going to do any of those, then you require the area pass (unless you are going to buy day passes for other areas, which would easily cost more than the difference between the dolomiti superski and the Val di Fassa pass).

I can't think that the local pass would be suitable for a week for anybody but complete beginners, when staying in any of the four Sella Ronda areas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't think many skiers know that the Dolomites Superski pass is the legal claim to ski the world's largest skiing domain. What other ski pass can give such huge freedom?

The Austrian do a single pass like Ski Amade to cover 25 resorts with 860km combined piste from Dachstein to Gastein Valley. I have not tried it but I believe a ski pass for the whole of Salzburg area is available too and one for the Tirol region probably exists.

The nearest the French has is the multi day ski pass in Tarentaise Valley, when exceeding certain number of days, can entitle the holder to "sample" one day in the other resorts of the same valley. Thus buying say a 6-day pass in 3V can earns the right to ski a day each in Les Arc/La Plagne and Tignes/Val D. Similarly the Galaxy ski pass in the resorts of Milky Way, Puy St Vincent, Serre Chevalier, L2A and LDH operates on the similar principle but the visit is always limited to one day to the resorts other than one the pass is purchased.

Dolomites Superski pass is the only true pass allowing the holder to enjoy fully and freely the 12 areas of Dolomites. It's 48 Euro day pass is remarkably good value when comparing with the 49.10 Euro day pass of 3V. 3V is the world biggest linked resort with 600 km piste. Dolomites has 1200km piste but not all linked. However the Sella Ronda alone within Dolomites is formed by linking up 4 areas with 200 chairlifts and 510km piste. By any standard the Dolomites superski pass is good value for money even if the purchaser ignores its stunning scenic beauty seldom found in other resorts.

Apart from the Sella Ronda there is also the World War I skiing circuit formed by skiing Arabba, Civetta, Cortina and Alta Badia (involving two bus rides and going through the Hidden Valley).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee, The Salzburgerland card and the Tirol card are both only available as season tickets, so probably don't really count when you are looking at size of areas covered by one pass, although each of them certainly covers far more than 1200 Km.

You can get the Kitbuheler Alpen Allsatar pass for all periods from 1 day up (though why you would want one for a single day I'm not sure), but although that covers 7 area passes, it is still "only" 1087 Km of piste plus 100Km of marked ski routes, so not quite as much as the Dolomiti Superski pass.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney,

Thank alex_heney. I know someone will put me right on Salzburg and Tirol ski passes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That all makes sense - Thanks everybody - I'll take it as a yes then!! Best to ask!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, The Salzburger card is available from 3 days and claims over 2300km.
http://www.salzburgerland.com/media/ski-board/SSSCardPreisblatt.pdf

But I agree that the Tirol card is season-pass only (and covers 3596km).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gaz - there is a beautiful 'black' run in alba (in france it would be a 'strong' red !! Smile ) , from the top of the cable car back to the village. Probably the friendliest black i have ever been on = no moguls ; no ice ; no people !!! Very Happy
snow conditions
A very friendly black indeed. The steepest part of it is the blue at the top of it...
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
A very friendly black indeed. The steepest part of it is the blue at the top of it...

Smile Wink Razz Cool
snow report
RobW wrote:
alex_heney, The Salzburger card is available from 3 days and claims over 2300km.
http://www.salzburgerland.com/media/ski-board/SSSCardPreisblatt.pdf

But I agree that the Tirol card is season-pass only (and covers 3596km).

When did they start doing that? I'm sure they didn't the last time I looked.

That price for 6 days is the same as the Kitzalp Allstar pass, although there are some areas that are on that but not on the Salzburger pass.
latest report
Yes definitely. You go can easily go round the Sella Ronda in 3-4 hrs and still have time to explore different areas.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy