Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko half term week....and FIS world cup....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I'm a newby here - joined today.

I am going with my family and two other families to Bansko on Feb 11th for the half term week. Very Happy

I have just discovered today that the FIS World Cup is on on the 18th/19th in Bansko.

Does this mean that half the ski area will be closed off for most of the week? Its only a 70km resort and with half term and the world cup I'm concerned that if half the resort is closed off it could be hell on the runs that are open.

Anyone any experience or insider knowledge?
Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i've went right after the ski races, they open the slope up quickly in my experience.
however wouldnt' fancy being there during race.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here

And welcome.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tks folks

I contacted the organisers and asked what would be closed and got this reply:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John,

the Tomba slope(black) will be closed

Regards,

Mila
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If thats all thats closed I think it'll be OK.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I contacted the organisers and asked what would be closed and got this reply:

that's rather good! I'm not convinced you'd have had a reply if you'd sent that email to a French resort.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jwm59 wrote:

the Tomba slope(black) will be closed

Last year they closed more than just the tomba. They closed the reds above the tomba as well. Basically the right hand side of the mountain was off limits. I was not there, but I heard the rest of the mountain was very crowded. It may be better this year if they do only close the tomba, but I cant see it myself.

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.talkbansko.info/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=2&id=4668&Itemid=66#4679

This thread has a bit more detail for you
Cheers
Smag
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jwm59 wrote:

I am going with my family and two other families to Bansko on Feb 11th for the half term week. Very Happy

I have just discovered today that the FIS World Cup is on on the 18th/19th in Bansko.

I've been caught in the same sutuation in Bansko. It was awful, chronic queues, busy pistes and 'Tomba closed' effective takes out the middle of the mountain.
There's not much mountain to start with without a third of it being closed. Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm....... Puzzled

A veritable "mixed bag" of experiences and opinions then!

Well we are going to Bansko with an open mind [because we organised it late and it was available] so I guess in the words of Doris Day "Que sera sera"!

I hope in the early part of the week we might get a whole mountain to play on - including the only black run. I have never been to Bulgaria before but have skiied in Austria, Italy, Scotland and France with varying outcomes. Been "bus'ed" to glaciers in Austria due to lack of snow, rock-slalom and drizzle in Scotland with a lukewarm scotch pie for lunch, endured dreadully arogant french ski-instructors many years ago etc etc etc............TBH as long as there's good snow and half decent weather it hsould be OK, at least for the first few days.

I will post after we come back with our experiences.........but at this point I'm thinking that next year earlier booking and ski-in/ski-out at altitude is the way to go. Back to Belle Plagne maybe!

Tks for the post folks

BR - John Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jwm59, the skiing will be what it will be. You cant control the pistes and the amount of snow, but you can control the places to enjoy your apres. Make the effort to wander into the old town and try some traditional mehanas. Dont just stick to the english style restaurants. You will have a great time. I have been several times and love the place. We bought a place out there 5 years ago and have just sold it, but we still intend on going to Bansko because it is such a lovely place.

Cheers
Smag
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and by the way, there is loads of snow out there at the moment
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi All,

I also contacted the organisers andwas told that 5 pistes would be closed. Tomba ,Todorka ,Balkaniada, Banderitza 1,Banderitza 2. Not sure whether this was for the full week or just the weekend. I know pistes will be closed for practice.

I am there for the first time during half term hols and am concerned we may have got it wrong this time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They do close Tomba, and well in advance so that they can prep it for the race. Also the red slopes above that are usually closed. Sometimes the squiggly red down to Shilingarnika is open which is one of the better runs in resort. On race day there will be a couple of training courses set up on blue 5 but mostly very early in the morning. The resort is getting better at managing the chaos with the aforementioned addition of the buses and they also open the gondola early for the race teams. New chair up the plateau means that staying up top and getting laps in is possible without troubling the race side of the mountain. The main bottleneck on the mountain is the chair from the top of the gondola over towards Shili, but if you get through that early and stay on the opposing side of the mountain you will be good.

With the amount of snow kicking around at the moment then the blacks from mid station down Chalin Valog are actually better runs than the Tomba. Never tends to be busy down there either and if you can find the Hotel Izvorite then you are in for a lovely cheap lunch up on the hill. Think this is the only mountain food which is not owned and run by the mountain now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for that, doesn't sound quite as bad. I had images of spending the whole week confined to 2 runs on the left side.
We can't grumble though, as we didn't do the homework properly. Still, never seen a world cup so hopefully this will make up for it. I don't think my two young children will be impressed though!
We will have to be in the gondola queue from 8.00am.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy