Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smartphone performance in the cold

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My HTC Sensation has been performing very well in the colder weather, no noticeable battery drain or other issues. When touring I tend to use the phone quite a lot for GPS so it gets exposed direct to the cold air, again no issues so far. I always have a spare battery on me just in case, a clear advantage having the ability to swap out a spare battery. A friend yesterday with an iPhone 4 has had serious battery issues.

This article suggest the iPhone 4s suffers issues even at -5 (though I assume this test left the phone exposed to that temp without being in a pocket). The Galaxy seems a better cold performer.
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/news/iPhone-4S-gibt-bei-Kaelte-Geist-auf/55102957

What's other SHs experience?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
iPhone4 was fine in an outside pocket at -20°C yesterday
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Einige Modelle des iPhone 4 explodierten bei eisigen Temperaturen" WAS?!

The only thing my iPhone 4 has done is lose it's mind. I took it in my van in my handbag. It was -33 C outside and in the beginning not any warmer inside. After about 45 mins I remembered I had to make a call but the stupid phone worked only partially. The battery was fine, the screen was fine but the brain wasn't. I could access every function but not really use them because about half of the info was missing. Like I would have the button to call but no number keys to dial the number. Or I would have the numbers for people whose name begin with K but not for people whose name begin with L. 15 mins in my pocket warmed it to "working temperature".
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would agree with the OP. My 4s goes to "invalid sim" almost every time I go boarding. Turn it off and on again and it's fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The performance of my iPhone 3GS is terrible in the cold. But there again, I don't like skiing at speed with a lump of glass in my pocket and always transfer my SIM to a "proper phone".
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I find that phone batteries get worse the older the phone is. You can make the phone battery last longer by turning off the unnecessary things (like email) so that it isn't polling the network so often.

The GPS will still work even through light clothing, so you can put your phone in an inside pocket and still track your location. The inner pocket will be warmer, which also means that the battery won't have to work so hard.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My iphone 4 is fine but I have bought a silicon case with a lanyard attachment for it. So it cant be dropped from a lift!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As mentioned on another thread, a Samsung Galaxy S2 continues to work even after several hours in the snow and being run over by a piste basher. Haven't done a comparison with other smart phones so can't vouch for them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nordicfan wrote:
As mentioned on another thread, a Samsung Galaxy S2 continues to work even after several hours in the snow and being run over by a piste basher. Haven't done a comparison with other smart phones so can't vouch for them.

It was also a very clear winner of the test.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy