Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'isere instruction - HELP!

Poster: A snowHead
Off to val in march and want some instruction on riding steeps/powder off piste to get me over a bit of a plateau. Talked to pro snowboarding in val and alliance in tignes it both have limited availability - can anyone else provide any recommendations for instruction off piste in val d'isere / espace Killy?
Ta!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus a snowhead pm him
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
phillip33, Thanks - sorry should have said I've already asked Steve and he's not available either.

Any other ideas?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I know a local called Laurent Bastein I will pm you his mobile, works now for the dark side ESF but he is very very good , I will pm you his number,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
phillip33, Thanks very much, appreciated, everyone seems to be very busy that week!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Has anyone used or know of Nicolas Glize in Val? He looks as if he is a snowboard equivalent of alone experience - does he speak good English?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laurent bastian number is 0033614640619
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
phillip33, Many thanks - ill see what I can sort out from all the options over the next few days
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lib-banana, Nico Glize is really good, highly recommended.

Did my first real off-piste days with him many, many years ago! His English is good (although I actually translated his website for him back in the day).

You could also try Neil McNair (www.mcnairsnowboarding.com). He's the top BASI snowboard trainer and is based in Tignes les Brevieres. He'll happily come to Val.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevomcd, Thanks fella, I actually emailed neil too - he only has one morning available that week whereas Nicolas seems to be more available and I can also join his morning group off piste so he's looking like the best option - although I'd kinda like to ride with Neil cos he's obviously a top man - if he was available for a few more sessions!
Thanks to all for their help
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Please don't give this thieving, conniving sleazy Nicolas man any money! I'm pretty sure there are other snowboard instructors, don't line this person's pocket!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That went well Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, but if you are trying to be sarcastic there is no point in doing so without knowing the whole situation, this person stole money from me and I am trying to warn others because his general behavior was unacceptable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dancer, wasn't getting into specifics or have a personal itinerary . . . just an observation on the +/- nature of the thread.

However . . . if you have a detailed and non-libellous tale to tell then it could be of value to the forum. Describe your experience just don't imbue it with your feeling about it . . . and be prepared to be told (if others see it that way) that you are chewing on your own dick . . .

. . . after all . . . snowHeads is the ultimate 'peer review' wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, I think you need to tell the whole story or shut up dancer. I know Nicolas and he's always seemed like a decent guy and a good instructor.
latest report
id rather not be associated with anything that offers a review on: whilst peering. on someones own dick chewing NehNeh ..
latest report
First of all, I am female, therefore cannot chew on my own pint. Second, there is no need for foul language on here. Third, yes I have been conned out of money by this person. I had the misfortune of renting accommodation from him, which smelled, was dirty and in general substandard. I felt so bad staying there that I cried for four days straight before moving elsewhere because I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I lost a lot of money because of this person's dishonesty. Also, he always pretended to be very friendly when my boyfriend wasn't around and made me feel very uneasy. I also didn't like his pushy ways to sell his snowboarding lessons and the way he spoke condescendingly about all the other instructors. So much for being a 'decent guy'.
ski holidays
dancer, Roll it back and be objective, you have a sympathetic audience so don't pіѕѕ them off with roiling emotion . . . especially if you are going to go legal with your . . . OK this just got a little more unpleasant.

dancer, what you feel and what happened are two parts of a story . . . as ugly as that story may be . . . we are just observers and we have the right to be as foul/dismissive/supportive/etc. as we wish. YOU brought this to OUR attention.

I doubt that there are any here who would not support you . . . at the same time, you have to understand that allegations of sexual harassment and fiscal dishonesty need to be filed with the police before you post in an open forum.

Speaking personally, I've been fiscally screwed by a holiday supplier and as as a bloke I'm probably incapable of understanding the angst of being sexually harassed . . . even though I am certified to do so over here.

Before you post again on this matter, you need to get serious and report your assault to the police, consolidate all the evidence to your experience, submit your suit and get on with building a life not anchored in that loathing. . . . I've been there, actually I'm still on that road . . . every step doesn't reduce the hurt, but it does make the journey back to it longer.

If you cannot right a wrong don't commit a wrong to make it right.
snow report
Quote:

I lost a lot of money because of this person's dishonesty.

Was it cheap accommodation? Generally you get what you pay for in French accommodation and there is a fair bit of rather cheap and nasty accommodation, which suits some people very well (and IME it is often smelly and dirty when they've been in it a while, even if it wasn't too bad to start with).

Your own language was pretty strong, especially for a first post on Snowheads, and perhaps was what provoked that reaction.

It sounds as though you weren't well at the time; having a substandard place to stay wouldn't generally provoke a nervous breakdown or four days crying - it might provoke me into spending a few euros on cleaning materials and having a good go at it, then asking for a rent reduction if he'd overcharged for what it was.

In what way was he dishonest? Was the accommodation described as being a lot better than it was?
ski holidays
I just wanted to warn people, that's all. I wasn't sexually assaulted, I was just referring to sleazy behavior. Big difference there, I know that!
The property was advertised as being clean and comfortable, therefore it was missold. I know Val is expensive, but please explain how I managed to find something four times bigger, with towels, clean abd comfy for just 50 euros more? Properties can be photographed to look great in ads, and a picture does not reflect bad smells. I refuse to clean up after other people the same way I believe others shouldn't have to clean up after me.
I did go to the police, but it turns out this type of behavior is common around here. Unfortunately for myself, I cried, not because I wanted to but that's how I reacted.
Saying bad things about your colleagues is not a sign of a good character.
snow report
Quote:

sleazy behavior

Sorry, it's just not on to call somebody sleazy because you feel they are "pretending" to be friendly. This was presumably after you'd stopped crying, had moved out and gone to the police and accused him of dishonesty? And are we talking poo-encrusted toilets here, or some stains on the wall and mould on the seals in the shower? One man's "clean" is another woman's "dirty and smelly". What "sort of behaviour" did they say was common around there? If it was letting small studios for silly high rents then, yes, it is certainly common round there.
snow conditions
No, it wasn't after anything, and I know sleazy behavior when I experience it. A dirty property is a dirty property, period. I just said that for 50 euros more, you can get an amazing place. Please also read what he said about all other instructors-do you think that's decent behavior? Really? Why can you never say the truth, after all it's to warn others? I won't shut up just because someone thinks this person is a saint!
The police told me it's common to take people's money and run, and it's also commmon to be dishonest in regards to property. The policeman's words, not mine!
If you're a friend if this guy, well continue being his friend as much as you like,that won't change anything.
snow report
dancer, it might be common to "take money and run" but it's not legal. How did he "take your money and run"? That's a serious accusation and you haven't explained it at all.

I don't know this guy from Adam, though obviously some people here do, and like him. Nobody said he was a saint, and nobody asked you to shut up.

At what point in this sad saga did he behave in this way that you thought was sleazy?

I have an open mind on this, but you must expect to justify and explain your accusations.
ski holidays
and some French snowboard instructors really are rather bad - I know one who is a lovely guy and a great ski instructor, but not a great snowboard instructor. wink
ski holidays
Maybe my writing was so erratic, but I never said he took my money and ran. This was what the police said about what happens here every season. They also said what happened to me was common. To clarify: I was mis-sold accommodation, the person didn't refund what he should have, had he been decent. He also took cash (probable tax evasion). The sleazy behavior happened when I was alone. Very surprising. Both me and my boyfriend were referrred to as 'tu' ( I'm not tu but vous) and spoken to in a condescending manner, ie my boyfriend's inability to speak French was laughed at. I speak French a little but struggle with it, but even if I didn't speak it at all it wouldn't change my life, haha. Let's all make fun of each other's inabilities, how amazing would that be!
I don't know anything about skiing or snowboarding as neither interests me (I came here to holiday with my boyfriend who snowboards) so I wouldn't know who is a good or bad instructor, but I do know there aren't just French people here, so if they are known for being bad snowboard instructors, maybe instructors of different nationalities in Val d'Isere are not so bad? Is Mr. glize really the only good instructor ( as per his own advertisement)? That sounds pretty ridiculous to me.
ski holidays
Quote:

Both me and my boyfriend were referrred to as 'tu'

that's routine if you are all youngish and on friendly terms. My French teacher, when I did some language courses in a little language school in the alps, insisted we all call each other tu. As for being spoken to in a condescending manner, maybe he was just being French? wink

And of course not all Frenchmen are poor snowboard instructors - but some are because they are lifelong ski instructors who just sort of "picked it up" and teach you to turn the board with your shoulders.
ski holidays
dancer, as pam w says, it is totally normal to be called "tu", especially in a young, ski-resort-vibe atmosphere. I've lived in France for 6 years and, short of being introduced to the Mayor or talking to your bank manager, it's "tu" all the time.

I can't claim to be a good friend of Nico's or anything, I know him originally from being a client of his years ago. I thought his instruction was very good. Good enough that when I went back to Val d'Isere a few years later, I looked him up again, found out that he also had a couple of apartments to rent and stayed in one with some friends. At the time (10 years ago or more) it was a pretty decent apartment of the standard cheap French ski apartment variety. Nothing special, but perfectly adequate and clean. Price was pretty reasonable too. I would fully accept that both the price and the state of the apartment could have changed significantly for the worse since then. We went out snowboarding with Nico again while we were staying there and, again, had a really good time. He had a really bad English version of his website at the time, so I even scribbled a better translation for him. Since then, I've moved to live and run a business in the area. I've sent a handful of clients to Nico for snowboard lessons / off-piste guiding and they've all been really happy with him.

He's your pretty typical French snowsports instructor dude and, for sure, he could come across as arrogant or condescending. Can't comment on the sleazy description, but wouldn't be totally surprised. Not saying he's a saint by any means, but I got on well with him and would work with him again.
ski holidays
My French ski instructor calls me "tu" though I am 66 and he is around 40, I'd say. He's never been remotely sleazy but maybe if I was 26........ wink A friend of mine, a year old than I, had lessons with him and rather hoped he would be sleazy but, alas, no........
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What they said.

I worked in Paris a fair bit, and I think you'll find that what they used to teach as French in English schools isn't really what the French speak. To assume the women were all coming on to me just because they used "tu" would be foolish. I presume the more formal stuff is a bit like English people referring to each other as "old chap", or using "Mister".

I think you're looking for offence where there is none. That makes me think you probably carry your troubles around with you. I don't know you or your target, but so far he's sounding like the injured party here. Perhaps it would be better to deal with these things as they arise?
latest report
I bet you don't get that problem in Ibiza wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy