Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you a late starter?

Poster: A snowHead
What I mean by my question is did you start skiing at an older age like in your late teens, 20's or perhaps even later.

I'm what you may call a convert as I have been on summer holidays abroad with my parents.

I had been on two ski trips with my school up to Aviemore but after leaving school I never went again until I was 21 when I went to Soll. I have to admit it was one of those decisions I made on impulse, I thought to myself "I've got 2 weeks leave coming up in January, why not do something with it!" and since that inspired decision, I've been hooked! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Started aged 33, changed my life quite literally, am addicted.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went 3 times with school 92,93,94.

Then forgot all about ski-ing (Too busy drinking at Uni). In final year at Uni got out a loan and blew it on a ski trip to France with Girlfriend(Now Wife) Been 5 times since then.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Started at about 30, regretting the 'lost years' Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Started when I was just nearly 33. Like Ian Hopkinson I am also regretting the "lost years".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
late starter at 21 hahaha ...
35 for me.. boarding (now that is a grey on a tray!!)..
3 1/2 years ago.. next jan will be my 8th trip with the lads and feb will be the 4th family trip
massivly addicted, may try some sking this season.. then again may not..
im off to the gym to try to shift this summer lard.. bloody BBQ's and pimms!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RichardB, My experience is pretty much an identical mirror image of yours down to the resort I first went back too!!!!

First trip wirh school aged 11, next trip with mates to Soll when aged 24.

Oh how I love ski-ing and everthing related to it!!!!!!

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did family ski hols in mid-late teens, skipped 10 years (to the day! - I found an old lift pass from the last teen hol while packing for the 'rediscovery' trip) and not stopped since.
As Ian says, regretting the lost years but back into it with a vengeance !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Started at 25.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr C started when he was 41 - think he wins so far! Wishes like mad he'd taken up all those lost opportunities of going on a skiing holiday with mates when it was offered. As soon as we came back from our first one, we booked to go again the following month snowHead Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Didn't start 'til Uni. Eventually gave up job to teach skiing full time. Ran out of money. Now teach part-time, coach some kids, and regret not starting sooner.... rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ginger winger, what a coincidence!! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grew up in Llandudno - went dry slope skiing every week for the 1st 6 months when they built the slope, then nothing until now! I'm 30 and going on my first skiing trip in January!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hope you enjoy it magic_hat! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CANV CANVINGTON, 35 too, never tried boarding - would be grey on a tray if (when?) I do go sideways.
So although I only have some grey bits, it is still a worrying development in the hair department rolling eyes
Hang on, that makes me sound like a low cost fish finger?
ski holidays
magic_hat, believe you me if you enjoy physical activity holidays then I'm almost certain you will love it! snowHead
snow conditions
Went skiing when I was 15, I think. Didn't ski again until I was in my 40s.
snow report
Started when I was around 9. Skied at Glenshee every year until I was 15. Went on 2 school trips aged 16. Nothing then until I was 32, when i managed to convince Mrs W to have a go
snow conditions
My wife was a skier before meeting me, but I wasn't into it as I thought it was to expensive and I'd rather spend the money on motorbikes so she had a lay off for a few years. Finaly convinced me to go for a week to Morgins with a day at MK snowdome the week before. Loved it, totaly hooked. Following year couldn't wait for morgins so booked last minute trip to canada. Same again last winter and will go twice again this year, more if I can get it. (that sounds like some sort of crack addict). Was 32 for the first trip and it's a good job I didn't discover skiing before then. I'd be bankrupt by now.
ski holidays
First time in 1996 when I was 26 - Mrs Bungle (who skiied all through school and now has 13 weeks on skis) and I came home to find she was expecting the first of our two kids so had a break until 2004 when we could all go together when my daughter was seven and my boy was four - went twice this year so four weeks on skiis and 35 years old.

My four weeks is therefore only one more trip than my (now) six year old son and eight year old daughter and following their progression to ski the (rather easy I understand NehNeh ) black off the Aguille Rouge in April in their lesson, my hopes of staying ahead of them until at least they are 10 and 8 are fading fast.....
ski holidays
magic_hat, unless you count walking as "physical activity holidays" then even enjoying physical activity holidays isn't a prerequisite! snowHead

Although I have to admit I've always loved snow...
snow report
I was 28 when I started.

Damn parents not skiing means I have missed 20 years of this great sport!
snow conditions
fragglerock, did they make you have holidays in a tent as well?
ski holidays
Went for the first time to Xscape at 46 followed by 2 trips last Winter. Have 2 booked this Winter.
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

We recently binned the childhood tents in a "clearing out the attic" moment! Great memories (of Scottish rain), however we never went to the higlands in the snow Sad

I am making an effort to catch up though! I am going to do (with any luck) my first season this year! I hope all the little 19yr old chalet people don't laugh at my vast age!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 13-09-05 15:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Was 26 on my first ski trip, and been for a week every year (except one) since.
Did consider attempting some boarding on my 5th trip, but that was when something clicked and my skiing improved big time, so I concentrated on that instead.
snow conditions
I was 18 and only went very reluctantly - my sister was working abroad for a second season and none of the family had been to see her. I was persuaded and it's probably changed my life considerably.
ski holidays
Started at 3 Shocked been going ever since with a break for O levels through University, wish I'd never taken the break though Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Started at 19 in the Army (Winter warfare training!!). Skiied 12 years and also taught my wife how to ski in Germany. Stopped in 1981 and rediscovered it via Xscape in Castleford in 2004. Skiied Val D'isere in January and La Plagne in March this year. Totally hooked again and already booked for 2 weeks in Banff in March next year and an additional week to arrange for late January.

Oh those missing years. Still got my wife and daughter hooked now. Very Happy
snow conditions
Tried sking when I was 18 (the only time!!). Started boarding when I was 26, never looked back
ski holidays
Started at 50, now can't get enough of it ..
ski holidays
My cousin had the guts to start at 50. She joined us on a post-wedding trip to Vermont and is now hooked. I met an American cyclist on a flight to the Alps about 15 years ago who told me he was heading for his first ski trip ... at the age of 65!

I was hugely lucky in being introduced to the sport in 1959 at the age of 6, but the kind of kit we used then - lace-up leather boots with relatively little ankle support, used to control long unweildy wooden skis - would probably have been really challenging for a middle-aged novice.

Modern ski equipment has revolutionised the accessibility of skiing for all ages, and excellent instruction can minimise the risk of falling. It's great when people surprise themselves with the possibility of learning to ski - I'm always trying to persuade people to give it a try. They don't realise that you spend (or should spend) the first hour on the flat ... and then the gentlest slope.
snow report
Started aged 7, really hate the fact that I left it so late!
snow report
Im 31, started skiing this year at Excape going on my first ski holiday Dec 17th
snow conditions
You can lose friends easily with comments like that Kramer.
ski holidays
Started at 17 (Still late) Very Happy Now knockin on 44 rolling eyes
ski holidays
fragglerock, I hate to continue this, but you never, as a child, had to sleep in the back of the family Austin Maxi somewhere in the Jura because the campsite didn't have enough dry ground for everyone to fit in the tent?

As for scottish precipitation+tents - been there, done that!
latest report
We started at 34 and 33 respectively
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, speaking of Austin Maxi's that's how we used to travel to the Alps Shocked
latest report
First lesson at 48 having hated sports of all kinds all my life, since then completely hooked and kick myself I didn't discover it long ago. I manage to do three hours at Cas a week, but it doesn't stop the craving for snow
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy