Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Needed for New Ski Boots Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Firstly - I will apologise for the length of this post - bit 'type happy' I'm afraid! Blush

I need some advice on some ski boots I’ve just bought, as I’m not convinced they’re right, and I should still be able to swap them for something of the full value if I do it soon.

Basically after 2.5 years of skiing a 23.5 boot, I’ve now been put into a 24, and I’m worried that they’re going to be too roomy in the long run. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

The story is:
1st pair of ski boots (Head) bought in Feb 2009 – size 23.5, 70 flex, 102mm forefoot (last). Have used them constantly both on the mountain and the Snowdome, and they’re well and truly worn in.

When I was measured for those ones, I came out at a standing 23.9, however the lady put me in various shells etc and decided the 23.5 would be ideal. When I first started skiing in them, they were murder on the old toes (and as I was early intermediate I did have the odd slippage into defensive ‘sitting over the skis’ posture – which doesn’t help with that) but after not too long they were really comfy, the heel grip was great, and I felt like I had a decent level of control. I wasn’t having to crank the buckles up etc, but I did find they felt too snug with my custom footbeds in, so I took them out. As they were slightly roomier in the ankle and forefoot than I would have liked, I was wearing an extra pair of socks - naughty I know, but seriously - my ankles are like most (small) people's wrists! Confused

As my skiing and fitness have improved vastly, I decided it was time to advance to a better and stiffer boot, and after doing some homework, and trying on a few, I plumped for a Salomon boot – 100 flex, 98mm last. I got them from a reputable chain, who did the normal measuring etc, but this time my standing size was a touch over 24 (I’ve grown!), so they were reluctant to put me in a 23.5. Even though there’s only half a centimetre in it, straight away I noticed the extra room at the front, but as the boots are generally narrower (especially round the forefoot) they didn’t feel too big as such – though it’s obviously hard to tell when you’re just trying them on in the shop! I’ve had the liner and the shell custom fitted, and got myself some decent footbeds, which I’m determined to keep in this time!

I used the boots for the first time at the Snowdome last night, they were certainly different from my previous boots! The flex and control with the boots was great, I could really drive the skis, with no feeling that the front part of the boot was kind of ‘collapsing’. My foot felt a little cramped width-wise to start with, but I think that’s a combination of my foot now being in a different position due to the footbed, and the fact that I need to get used to the narrow fit (it will press out a bit, I found the same with my ice skates). I didn’t feel at any point when skiing that my heel was coming up, and generally I could roll from edge to edge without feeling like my feet were rolling in the boots.

However – when I was shuffling around to get onto, up and off the travellator, there was some definite movement inside the boot which I didn’t ever get with the smaller ones, which made me wonder whether they’re just a bit too big. This is coupled with the fact that every buckle is on the second from tightest ‘tooth’ – which is ok for the bottom 2, but there’s not much leeway in adjusting the top 2, unless I move the teeth across to the next hole. This is all doable and all that, but it’s just not something I would have ever have had to do in the other boots, and I’m not sure whether it’s because they were a smaller size, or just that they were a totally different boot, make, model etc.

Perhaps having a bit of roominess around the heel and ankle is not a bad thing when you’re just walking or shuffling around, but having spent the best part of £400 on boots and footbeds, I want to make sure they’re not going to become useless for skiing in further down the line. I know I can get heelgrips put in, extra foam and all that sort of malarkey – but am wondering if it would just be simpler to get a smaller boot and save myself the hassle (though there is a certain amount of hassle in having to drive an hour to the nearest outlet and sitting through another fitting I guess!).

Before anyone says it – yes I know I should have tried one of the boot fitting guys who get several mentions on here, because I do have stupidly skinny little legs and feet – however after reading up on some of their advice I thought this boot would be what they’d end up putting me in anyway, so I thought it might be easier to do it the ‘usual’ way. Now I’m thinking it possibly would have been worth trying, but I’m pretty much brassic now so don’t want to spend any more money on getting this sorted unless I absolutely have to.

So – if anyone has got any free advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I know ideally I would be trying them out on the mountain before I make a final decision, but the problem there is that once I’ve used them ‘properly’ I would only get 2/3 of the price back, whereas if I swap them out now I can do a straight swap to a smaller size and not have to fork out anything (I hope!).

When I first read up about ski boots when I started skiing, I read that if you are not having to cut your toenails every 2 weeks then your ski boots are too long. I don’t think I could even feel the front of my ski boots last night when I stood straight, even though I could when I tried them on in the shop. Generally I love these boots, the flex and general feel is brilliant, but once I've worn them in, are they just going to be baggy!? Skullie

Thanks all in advance for any help.
Emm.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Emm,

take the liner out of the boot and put your naked foot into the empty shell, with your toes lightly brushing the front of the shell how much space is there behind the heel, if it is a salomon ladies boot in a 98mm last then it will be the instinct and if you foot measures just on 24 i would guess that you have some 25+ mm (possibly closer to 30mm) behind your heel in the size 24, put simply you are right, the 24 is too big. it is one of the longest to size boots on the market

in an ideal world 10-20 mm is what we want, even a little less for the right foot and a skier doing a lot of skiing, but certainly not more (unless there is some foot problem or volume issue)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, you are a star - so glad I posted on here Very Happy Yes, it's the Instinct boot.
I'd better get on to the shop then, see if they can sort me out - another trip up to Birmingham or Ellesmere Port on the cards....! Ah well.
I'll check the measurements tonight, but I reckon you'll be spot on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awesome - they've got the 23.5's at the Chertsey store (one of only 3 left in the company!) and I'm in Reading for the weekend so I'll swap them out on Sunday. Happy now Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Emmeline, Will you let us know how you get on please? I'm assuming you're talking about S&R and their boot comfort guarantee and I thought that after you had skied in them at all then you couldn't swap them, be interested to hear how you get on. Good luck Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy