Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boy falls from chair and caught unharmed

Poster: A snowHead
Happened on a US chair with no safety bar, why do they not have safety bars?. Surprised none of the rescuers got any injuries. Good flying posture, I think that boy likes jumps.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094864/Boy-survives-slipping-ski-lift-falls-25ft-arms-rescuers-Wisconsin.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waynos, Re some chairlifts in the US not having safety bars - yep it seems crazy to me.

The catchers did a good job - I wouldn't particularly relish having to catch a kid still wearing skis with presumably fairly sharp edges! Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plus american kids seem to think that safety bars are surplus to requirements and quite happily ride some lifts without pulling them down anyway. Scared the bejesus out of me, so I always insisted on using them - much to the disgust of the local teen community (made me feel very old...... but safe!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it common for US chair lifts not to have safety bars? Had kittens just looking at the still images. Hay bales as padding around the lift supports give it even more of rustic/shambolic appearance.......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems to be common in the west and midwest.
Vermont and "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire have safety bars and require you use them or they prosecute.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alanmartin wrote:
they prosecute.

The "prosecution" consist of a lifty shout at you to lower it down, as you speed away. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would just never ride a chair lift without safety bars and certainly not let my kids ride it, no matter what.

This is just not the kind of news I need to read one month before taking my 4 and 7 year old kids to Austria. Of course, they have the safety bars in Austria, but still.

I'm also thinking about this news:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094039/Teen-falls-death-chair-lift-Park-City-Utah.html

Apparently that lift had bars, but it's unclear whether it was in use at the time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I remember myself getting very surprised and worried when I was in a very small US east coast resort where all chair lifts had safety bar but no one was using them.
When I tried to pull down the safety bar, other people seemed to be equally surprised by my action. There's definitely a cultural difference there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
never lower the bar if on my own on a lift..far to uncomfortable, especially on lifts made for midgets or those stupid kid lock things.

not sure he was hanging on for dear life...and I don't quite like way Sarah Burkes unrelated death is worked in...but thats the daily hate for you i suppose
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cppoon wrote:
I remember myself getting very surprised and worried when I was in a very small US east coast resort where all chair lifts had safety bar but no one was using them.
When I tried to pull down the safety bar, other people seemed to be equally surprised by my action. There's definitely a cultural difference there.

Another good reason for not crossing The Pond to go skiing, then.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I would just never ride a chair lift without safety bars

Really? I assume you can sit in a chair without falling off no? They are fine if slightly nerve wracking the first few times. Sit tight, hold on to the side and don't do anything stupid like leaning forward or mucking about.

Being worried about your kids is a different matter but any normal adult should be perfectly capable!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Really? I assume you can sit in a chair without falling off no?

Yes but if I fall of my chair in living room / dining room, I'm unlikely to seriously injure myself!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Really? I assume you can sit in a chair without falling off no? They are fine if slightly nerve wracking the first few times. Sit tight, hold on to the side and don't do anything stupid like leaning forward or mucking about.

Sure... Except I don't have boots and skis on and feet dangling when sitting in a chair. Also, should I ever lean too much forward while sitting in a chair, my feet will usually be firmly on the floor, more or less eliminating the risk of falling over or sliding. Not the same thing at all. Not at all.

And I have a fear of heights, to a degree.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiingDad wrote:

This is just not the kind of news I need to read one month before taking my 4 and 7 year old kids to Austria. Of course, they have the safety bars in Austria, but still.

Really? Thats quite a narrow minded comment.

Tip for you though if it's the first time the 4 year old has skied, sit yourself on the end seat of a chair lift and wedge him/her next to you with the bar sittng between their legs and they will be fine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homers double,
Quote:

Really? Thats quite a narrow minded comment.

Narrow minded? I don't quite follow...

Yes, it's the first time for the 4 year old, but I've done it before when my 7 year old was 5, so I know what to do. It's just that these stories about kids falling off lifts is not what a parent wants to think about. It just makes me more nervous than I need to be. It's also the reason why I'm not showing Mrs Dad these news.
snow report
Narrow minded is probably the wrong phrase, I dont know, paranoid maybe?

I'm 100% happy with taking my son on chairlifts and have been since he was 3&1/2, I'm not ignorant to the dangers though.
ski holidays
I think it is just the type of story you want to hear. Focuses the mind as to the possible dangers.
ski holidays
homers double, paranoid I can live with. Smile
latest report
It's not the type of story you want to ready knowing your kids are going to be on a chairlift with total strangers speaking a different language during their ski lessons Crying or Very sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy