Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra - Do's & Don'ts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or things to watch out for?

Never been there and haven't met many who have, all help appreciated Very Happy

Are the lifts new or 2nd hand from the alps? going rate for lift passes? hotels located close to slopes etc snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can only comment on GrandValira (Soldeu, specifically).

Lifts - arguably one of the best and most modern lift systems I've used. Okay, they may not have the heated seats or covers of some of the high end Austrian resorts, but they're generally quick detachable quads or six-packs with very reasonable queues (virtually none at all outside of peak season).

Lift passes - not sure, but I am sure it'll be on their websites. Wink

Hotels near the slopes - the three hotels of the Sport Hotel group in Soldeu essentially form the base of the main lift for the village. I've only ever stayed in the Sport Hotel (three times) and it's excellent value - the food is very good and plentiful, the rooms are fairly spacious, and the overall standard is good (if no frills). The other two are steps up from that, but personally I think that the Sport Hotel is just the ticket for a ski holiday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
..or try Nordic in El Tarter.
Plus - right on slopes - no walking to or from locker rooms for anyone with more than a couple of days ski experience (and just a short walk to gondola)! Nice hotel with fabulous views (get a piste view room). Pool, jacuzzi, sauna etc. Good ski/boot hire shop adjacent. Cheaper than the Sport Hotel. I think this is probably the best located hotel in the Grandvalira region. Terrace outside where you can sit with a beer at the end of the day and watch skiers trying their luck down the steep section of the home run right opposite (easier option available!).

Minus - not much else in El Tarter ......if you like night life then probably not for you!

I think the Grandvalira lift pass is quite expensive....however when you see the standard of lifts and piste preparation equipment that has been invested in this is understandable. We were there during a relatively "sketchy" snow period and the pisteurs did a fabulous job - keeping most of the pistes in such good order that skiing was pleasurable AND safe!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to both Pas and Soldeu. In Pas some of the hotels and apartments are slopeside. All the slopes return to the village. Apartments are popular as booze is cheap in the supermarkets.

The main thing about Andorra is that the transfers are hellishly long from either Barcelona or France. Most are 3 1/2 - 4 hours. But, as mentioned above, there's some reasonable skiing once you're there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beware of long extended hangovers from very cheap booze. If you smoke, you will be over-indulging too. If you drove there, you will fill your tank, your spare cans, and your boots with diesel and petrol. Pas has the most extensive shopping area, being just at the border.

I'm not sure what the legal restrictions are on duty free, as I only ever drove in there and so did not pay much attention to the rules.

The skiing is quite limited if you are above intermediate. There is lots of intermediate skiing though. Make sure you get a ticket for the correct area, as you can ski into the neighbouring ski area from Pas de la Cassa. I only had the Pas area pass, and it was a bit of a hassle side stepping back up the slope when I could not take the adjoining lift.

Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're not a smoker and like apres take plenty of cough medicine and soothing eye drops, maybe even an iron lung if you can fit it in your luggage..............
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bigtipper, I think it's just one pass now.

While people say the lift pass is expensive, it probably subsidises the free lift pass for children - I'm pretty sure all children (I believe 11 and under) can get a free lift pass, which is excellent. People say the booze is cheap, certainly costs less than drinking in France, but I thought it was on a par with Austria (€4-5 a beer).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is only one lift pass now which covers five areas.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Vallnord def charges for children! (Pal, Arinsal + Arcalis). - if you end up there the def get a Vallnord card which gives you 10% off lift passes, lessons, food+drink on slopes and discounts in some restaurants+ shops. Lift passes do seem to have gone up a lot in the 4 years even that I have been going there.
Tuition is brilliant in my experience - and they were very accomodating booking English speaking instructors.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
katedenhaag, do they? We priced up a holiday in Arinsal and I'm sure Inghams offered free childrens lift pass - unless this was just for them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Must have been an Inghams thing - kids free up until they are 5 then need to pay.... I have been with 2 kids to Vallnord for last 4 seasons!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
katedenhaag, Crystal are offering it too for some reason Vallnord and Granvalira. Must be a deal with the tourist board.

When we went 2 years ago we got given free tuition in with the cost of our lift pass.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the info guys, what sorta price is the norm £1500-2000?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a week in Soldeu/El tarter,

Paid £650 for half board in the euro ski, with lift pass package including 6 day pass, lessons, ski and boot hire (located in the hotel) I only got this package because the Mrs found it because she wanted lessons. Ended up going to them and had an awesome week skiing. (Even though I have my own boots, it was near enough the same price to rent skis and get a lift pass as the package with crystal)

I was put in the advanced lessons and the instructor was tremendous, he threw us down next week's women's world cup course on day 2, took us off piste on day 3 and every day there after. I think you would have to be an exceptional skier to gain nothing from a lesson with him.

We skied hard every morning with him and then I took a more leisurely afternoon with the OH. The skiing is not limited, with some very challenging reds, some easy blues, and more than enough off piste to be playing on. Anyone who is expecting to be trekking for 3 hours before finding a cliff to fall down on skis may be disappointed but I think most people will be more than satisfied with the off piste available, (if you want more book La Grave not Andorra)

The hotel was adequate, standard ski hotel, powerful shower, comfy beds, plentiful food (if not haute cuisine it filled me up, I've already paid for it so I get it down me),There are by all accounts a couple of wonderful restaurants in Soldeu. San Miguel 3.30 euros a pint, which by my (questionable) maths is around £2.80-£3, not unreasonable.

The apres-ski is as big or as low key as you like, the Aspen doing a roaring trade opposite the gondola every evening.I just hope they follow the rest of Europe with the smoking ban soon!!

Do not let skiing snobbery make you look down on it as a great option, there is a reason that people who have skied all over Europe and further afield go back there.

On the other hand I've stayed in Pas De La Casa on a boys trip a couple of years ago. Utter carnage, more expensive, only icy reds back into the resort from the rest of the area. Exactly what we wanted for a lads tour but I wouldn't be taking the missus there.

I cant comment on the Vallnord (arinsal, pal etc) as I haven't skied there
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stay in the Sport Hotel Soldeu, used to be the BASI exam hotel; it's very good, big ski store, right next to the lift even the fussy Scots liked it! In England it would be 3 stars comfortably.
snow conditions
All the hotels are pretty close to the ski runs, the sport village is the nearest.
Soldeu has a pretty good apres and night life, yes the bars are still smoking but a lot of the restaurants are now no smoking, fattys, slims, merlot and the brussels.
There are great deals to be had in soldeu be it tour company or privately you can get some good deals for ski passes or accommodation. I think the lift pass this year is about 200€ for a full area pass you can get a beginners pass for cheaper!
Vallnord is also very good and the arinsal has much to offer but the ski slopes are much smaller to grandvalira, the tour companies are offering a day trip to arcalis which is the best mountain in vallnord which is a really good idea whilst in andorra.

hope this helps a little
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy