Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buy or rent boots in St Anton? Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have owned a poorly fitting pair of ski boots for nearly 10 yrs and replacing them is obviously a costly option. The main issue with them is that they are too wide and I find myself trying to grip with my toes. This gives me appalling cramps. They really are holding back my progress as a skier. I had not anticipated going skiing this year but had a windfall and have been able to book a last minute trip to St Anton this weekend. It's too late to avail myself of the boot fitting options in the UK and I am torn about what to do. I read recently that rental boots have improved and it might be possible to get a pair that fit well in resort. Was wondering what people thought about this idea? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a properly fitted pair in resort??

Any advice much appreciated!

Vic

Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of the group I skied with in St Anton last week hired boots and said they were absolutely fine and were well padded. He says that he always hires boots which surprised me because he was a very experienced skier. I suppose he must have fairly standard sized feet.

Unfortunately I do not know which shop he used.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your current ones are that poorly fitted I can't see you have much to lose! Surely the rentals would be better than that, sounds pretty bad.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the reply. I have narrow feet, so hiring may not be a great option for me. I am torn. Plus not sure about taking my crap boots just in case.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good point, bobmcstuff. Does the option exist to trial boots before buying? I suspect that it does not as they usually need custom footbeds, don't they?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are hiring skis, it usually costs little more to hire boots as well - boots on their own can be pricey, especially if you don't do an internet advanced deal (though I suspect there are no such things in St Anton).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luckyV, I doubt it but I can't see hire boots being worse than the description you give for your current ones - plus you can take them back to the shop if they are too big/wide and change them for another pair easily.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I have my own trusty skies so it would just be the boots. I have put off buying a new pair but I've had enough.

Anyone know roughly how much I would be looking at to buy a pair in resort? I wouldn't want anything swanky. Just a pair that fit!

Thanks again everyone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luckyV, if you go to a shop like Jennewein they will advise on the best make and model to suit your feet. I bought some touring boots there last season and they were the same price as anywhere else. Geoffrey fitted mine and I was there for a few hours trying on different boots until I got the ones that suited my feet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luckyV,

Quite a few shops in St Anton e.g.

Sport Alber
Intersport
Jennewein
Sport 2000

Just spend a day going to each shop and see what they have to offer. A good pair of ski boots would generally cost in the region of €300 to €500 fitted.

e.g.
http://www.eybl.at/Ski-Alpin/K/8796635299982/Damen-Skischuhe.html?N=1001+1002+24526&Nao=0&Ntk=ProductSearch&Nu=P_MasterNumber_EY&WT.mc_id=eprof&gclid=CN_i6O-z_a0CFUGGDgod3w2csA&zanpid=1599858925413790720
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go tot he main Jennewien (near the Galzig) and speak to Geoffrey, if you decide to buy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for the excellent advice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rent and buy next year when you have more time. St. Anton is a formidably expensive resort - in my experience all kit there was between 20-50% more expensive than UK. (That was 2 years ago though, think UK prices have increased dramatically in last couple of years...)

Personally I would never (again) buy boots in resort: I bought a pair in Val d'Isere in '05, skied in them all week and they were painful but the bootfitter just dismissed my complaints saying I needed to break them in, anyway, 2 trips later after putting up with the pain, I lost both my big toe nails because of the boots so I took them to pro-feet in Fulham who said they were a size too small for me and gave me a size up with moulded footbeds which are like slippers in comparison. And as I bought them in the UK, near where I live, I can take them in to the same shop every year and get the linings and fit checked - haven't been back to Val since '05 (although going back there in March Smile )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nip to Lech and buy some Strolz made to measure, ski straight out of shop, never need buy a boot again or visit expensive boot fitters. Buy some heel and toe blocks, have lasted and still going for 10 years even on the feet of a ski instructor who skis all year. You have the added advantage that Strolz is recognised the whole world over and is made for you; hand sown made to measure foam inner, constructed shell; cannot be beaten if you have anything but standard fit any boot off the shelf feet.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I would never (again) buy boots in resort

Nor I. The boots I bought in resort were ultimately too big (CEM had me in a full size smaller). And if you've only got a week, that may not be enough to get them right, even if you are prepared to give up some of your precious holiday time.
latest report
pam w, Strolz will take 3x2 hour sessions after skiing and will be right! Alber Sport I think in St Anton.
latest report
Cynic,
When I had Strolz fitted they just used a standard size shell, the shell wasn't made just for my feet - do they do things differently now? Strolz are an old and tested design but they are heavy.
ski holidays
DB, Strolz have a shaft and foot selection to fit varying sizes, from massive wide feet with narrow calfs, to massive calfs and narrow feet. They have a range of each ready made and put them together. You are obviously within "normal" range only needing the special inner. I was not suggesting a special individual pour for each shell. Although Fischer now have the make the shell floppy and vacuum it on to your foot range which is probably very close.

But you don't have the same cachet in a Fischer as a Strolz.
ski holidays
Cynic, I have low volume (read skinny) legs and feet. I moved away from Strolz as I took up touring and went for touring boots. I had the lowest volume Strolz boot but an off the shelf touring boot provided a better long term fit. Strolz always feel great at first as the injection foam liner is a snug fit until it starts to pack out. A lot of injected foam in a less than optimum (oversized) shell = a lot of packing out. Strolz are a quality boot but IMHO there isn't one boot out there to suit everyone. In my mind it's all down to fit not manufacturers names.
ski holidays
DB, You with an interest in touring or anyone interested in racing fall outside the group I would say are Strolz customers; tourist skiers and people who cannot get a boot off the shelf are. I was being just provocative with the pose statment. Although I am very surprised that boot fitters do not have large labels to give their fits a look for the cash. Although a PSIA guy I know has Superfeet in huge letters on an old pair of stacked Banshees so perhaps they do?
snow report
Cynic,
Yes Strolz are very good for recreational skiers although you can buy the linner separately and for some people the optimum solution is a Strolz liner and another shell. I'd say people with very narrow low volume feet (e.g. luckyV and I) fall outside the group too.

luckyV,
I wouldn't rush into the next set of boots as you will probably have them a long time so it's worth investing time and money getting them right. If you are anywhere near the midlands a visit to Solutions for feet is well worth the effort.
http://www.solutions4feet.com/

If don't already have footbeds/high quality insoles you could invest in some which might take up enough room to improve the fit of your current boots. Should they not do the job you can use them in replacement boots.
e.g. http://www.superfeet.com/
snow report
http://www.mademan.com/mm/5-best-ski-boots-narrow-feet.html
latest report
Thanks again. I think I already do have superfeet insoles in the boots. Have a feeling I bought them with them. I got them from Snow and Rock and rue how trusting I was. The boot fitter was a teenage boy who spent about 20 mins picking the boots and I knew no better at the time. I'm going to take my crappy boots, see how bad they are on the first day, investigate if anything can be done to improve them and if there isn't I will rent a pair.
ski holidays
luckyV,

If the shell size is too big it's best to start again (been there got the T-shirt)

Quote:
The first thing to do is see if the shell is the right size (the famous "shell test"), take the inner boot out and put your bare foot in with toes touching the end. You should just be able to squeeze two fingers behind your heel (about the width of the inner boot plus a single ski sock). With your foot centred in the boot three important measurements come into play, the width, the height and the space around the heel. At no time should any part of your foot touch the shell but the volume should not be too large, the heel should be held firm, if it moves you will have to over tighten the buckles which will be uncomfortable on the shin.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Ski-Boot-Fitting

Good luck
snow conditions
I disagree with some of the comments here. I believe he best place to buy boots is a a resort where your familiar with the terrain. Where else can you get a boot fitted and then immediately go and ski to test them out. All boots require a bit of tweaking and a good shop should actually expect this will happe.

I bought a pair of strolz from ertel & renz in Munich and LOVE them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy