Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap food at Geneva Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Been to the airport many times and often been stung by stupid prices. Last weekend burgerking wanted 14 Chf £10 (?!!) for a burger. I have found a really good supermarket with fresh sandwiches etc at the far end of train station. Thanks to Malcolm for directions. Its at the opposite end of the airport from the car rental area and you have to go through the rail station. It wont accept euros but will accept credit/ debit card for small amounts. Better food and alot cheaper
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its a migros and just before you go up (usually the stairs as the lift often is bust!!) to the transfer companies minibus park area
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks carroz, couldn't remember the name of the place. By the way its on the arrivals floor.

Anybody know a cheap place to eat at Zurich airport?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We use Migros too. A good way of wasting 30 mins, walking mostly inside in a nice quiet area. It WILL accept euro notes - but your change comes in Swiss Francs, the bast bet in a group is to club together and try to use the note closest to the amount required, or as waltond, says - use credit card.
Follow signs to train station, down the escalator and along the long corridor of shops etc which is the level above the train platforms... right at the far end is Migros.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a supermarket at Zurich airport too, I think it's also Migros. There is a bigger food hall there inc a McDonalds.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also in GVA railway station the cafes aren't rip off territory either!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I still lament the loss of the amazing kebab outlet at GVA replaced by the rubbish jazz bar!

Sad Sad

joe
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Also in GVA railway station the cafes aren't rip off territory either!!

Indeed - paid for a couple of coffees with a euro note there a few weeks ago, and got change in euro coins. Good coffee, sensible price. snowHead Bargain Swiss choc maxi packs in the supermarket too - still going strong. It keeps long hours, that Migros.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have seen this before on here, and we were in Geneva after NY, however, we weren't sure how long it would take us, asked rep and got a vague look as if they've never heard of it (I was just asking about the cafes at the train station). We didn't want to leave going through security too long incase it took ages for security queues. However, in the end our flight was delayed, so we needn't have worried, but didn't know this till through security. My question is / are - I take it you have to go before going through security and how long does it take to get there?

Be good to know specifics before next Geneva trip - whenever that may be!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gilly28, It's only minutes to get to the train station, it's just at one end of the terminal building, and yes before security. Turn right after being dropped at departures and follow the SBB signs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gilly28, Depends where you have to drop your bags... the furtherest place from the station is the Easyjet drop as it's right at the opposite end of the departure area... but still only 5-10 mins walk. You drop you bags, then basically leave the airport for a while and go to the station. I would suggest that to get to the cafes, have a drink/eat and get back, you need to allow 30-40 mins, so no point if you are cutting it fine. However, if like me you are always 2 hours before as you are asked to be, then it is worth it just to break the boredom!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you use a debit card for a small amount doesn't that usually end of quite expensive as they add a conversion fee (my lot add £1.50) to the transaction?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We always stop off at that Migros before getting on our train to Mürren to grab a few sandwiches and drinks...best place for value in that airport.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy from embsay, I hope you are confusing getting cash from an ATM (for which many banks do charge £1.50 or more) with paying for goods via a card (for which most banks charge 1.75% or higher).

If you are really getting a per-transaction charge of £1.50 for goods, I seriously recommend you change your bank.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobW, andy from embsay, Many of the UK cards do that now for Cross-border transactions.

I'd gone to collect friends from GVA and inadvertently picked up my UK wallet. No Euros, no Chf, just GBP and Sterling cards. I had no choice other than to pay the 2chf parking fee with a UK debit card. Total cost £2.87...ouch! There are only a handful of providers that don't levy that charge, hence the growth of pre-loaded Euro debit cards et al. Like many SH's I've found my own solutions which work for me.

I keep a FairFX for emergencies that I can load from my UK accounts in need.
snow report
Also... the train station has a left luggage office and lockers. So if you have hours to kill before your flight home or transfer pickup you can leave your bags/skis at the station and nip into Geneva on the train.
latest report
Not cheap though! It's 10ChFr per piece in left luggage. Lockers are cheaper and costs vary according to size, none are big enough for skis.
ski holidays
RobW, Nope. Halifax, RBS, Natwest, Santander, Lloyds all charge £1.50 per transaction abroad (or indeed in any foreign currency) -ATM and debit transactions. Most debit cards also load each transactions by a few %:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/overseas-card-charges#debit
snow report
The Pizza restaurant in the train station isn't exactly bargain basement but it's a far more pleasant eating experience than the scrum down cafeteria in the airport. Good pizzas too.
snow conditions
The Migros would not accept my euros despite best schoolboy french. It must be my dodgy face. I forgot about the credit card charge on the sandwich. It does not seem so reasonable now.......

Colin B Thanks for the tip regarding the Migros at Zurich Airport. I have found it on the airport map. There also appears to be a "co-op pronto" also. Forget the sking and I will send a full supermarket report on return.
snow report
After security i got a large chicken bap with 500ml coke for 10 euros. Did not bother with the main food hall before secuirty as its alway chaotic.
latest report
Flight was delayed on Sunday so went in search of a pizza and just across the road from the airport found this restaurant La Gioconda, CH1216, Cointrin, good pizzas but still CHF20.00 per pizza!
ski holidays
+1 for La Gioconda, we ate there last Feb when we stayed at the hotel next door for a crack of dawn flight home, it was rammed and food was excellent, but as Fogliettaz says, not cheap, so probably off-topic!
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
RobW, Nope. Halifax, RBS, Natwest, Santander, Lloyds all charge £1.50 per transaction abroad (or indeed in any foreign currency) -ATM and debit transactions.

Then as I said change to a bank with a debit card which doesn't charge, Plenty of choice: Barclays, Coop, First Direct, HSBC, Metro, Nationwide etc according to your list.

Or just use a credit card: even the cr*p ones don't charge a transaction fee on top of commission.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy