Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shovel and Probe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Advice required on snow shovels and Probes (Of the avalanche type!)!!

I'm looking for kit that I can use for Winter walking and climbing (hopefully just for digging shelters and snow holes and the likes!)
but also will be fine carrying for skiing off pist (When I can afford to go again)

I've seen the BCA SR3 avalanche probe that I quite like the look of, has anyone used this? or 'know a man who has'?
Main other option is a Black Diamond offering (Can't remember the name)

On the shovel front I don't want anything too big and combersome, but likewise don't want to end up digging in anger with a plastic tea-spoon!
Again, I like the look of the Black Diamond offering of the Deploy 3. But I also Like the feature with the Mammut ones where you can use the as anchors when climbing.

So, What does anyone have to say?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a Deploy 7, which is nice but hoofing big and has to go in the main compartment of most of my packs. Probe wise I'd say you want something around 250cm long I use a BD Super Tour which is 265cm IIRC.

The Deploy shovels do have holes cut in them so you can turn it into a deadman as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fwiw, I have a plastic othovox shovel which is crap, it's plastic so won't get thro avalanche debris and I have trouble with the handle, I should ditch it, I did buy a replacement which is great but too big for my small bag so stays in the car! The received wisdom on shovels at the moment is get one with;
A metal blade with a serrated bottom edge.
A flat top to the blade to enable a boot to assist the digging.
A proper handle ie D shaped.

On probes. They seem much of a muchness apart from weight, and length. Carbon saves a few grams but is expensive, 2.4m seems the norm maybe longer for use in N America.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yea will deffinately be a metal shovel! I think from what I can tether, the deploy 3 is the smaller version of the 7?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crazy Climber, yeah AFAIK the Deploy 3 is the smaller version of the 7.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a thought but what about an entrenching tool? Could fit the bill and can pick them up for about a tenner from Army Surplus or online.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some wise words on shovels:

http://www.wildsnow.com/2733/bca-shovels-denali-mckinley/

A longer handle is a great help when digging but more awkward to assemble and carry. When in Sweden, I saw plenty of locals carrying huge great yard shovels on the outsides of their packs. It looked most awkward but they seemed to cope.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the link, Had a quick scan through it and all looks interesting! Will have a better read through it later!

Richard Sideways I don't know how much experience you have with an entrenching tool, but from the use I've had of them, compared with a snow shovel, they are pretty heavy and have quite a small blade. I agree though, they do fold up nice and small, and the shape of the blade and the serrations would probably make cutting blocks a walking in the park! They can also be used in a 'pickaxe mode' which I can see being advantageous.
However, I think the comparative blade size and weight would rule it out for me personally.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy