Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone fancy riding this lift?

Poster: A snowHead
Click on thumbnail to enlargeAnyone fancy riding this lift? Click on thumbnail for full scale photo.

Photo courtesy of Czech star Martin at www.grasski.net

More on the Dizin World Championships held in Iran over the weekend in these two articles:

Days 1 & 2

Day 3
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have 2 words screaming through my head at present..... Public Liability!!!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surely that platform's a replacement for a chair i.e it's usually used to carry the blood wagon up the hill and the rest of the lifts are normal chairs?

In any event, what's the upper platform for?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ben wright wrote:
In any event, what's the upper platform for?

I thought it looked a bit like where you put a stretcher! Couldn't work out what the yellow bit of rope was for, other than to keep a restless patient in place Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ben wright wrote:
....what's the upper platform for?

Second class.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The yellow rope is obviously a safety harness for children. They've thought of everything.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When standing on the upper platform you would have easy access to the pulleys etc at the towers. Perhaps they need to grease the pulleys periodically and do not want to access and climb each tower.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Reminds of that cable-based 'lift' in 'Get Carter' which preoccupies Michael Caine towards the end of the movie. As I recall, a dead body eventually falls out of it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Reminds of that cable-based 'lift' in 'Get Carter'
and then Caine gets shot. Very British ending, the American remake was completely upbeat and therefor rubbish (how quickly did we get off-topic?)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The local "Magic carpet" manufaturers were fooling nobody with their newest model NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Love this photo of a course inspection, women of all nationalities complete with head scarves...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, The lass at the back with the red cap on has worked extra hard on her physique for the new season wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I was in Wengen last summer, they had a mountain bike race from Grindelwald up to the top of Manlichen. They transported competitors "personal effects" in a similar looking contraption...but with sidea to it. On top of it all sat a guy chatting away on his mobile phone Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The thing about the head scarves is not that they are worn (it's the law) but how far back they are pushed. The lady in the middle with the turquoise scarf is definitely sending a message. Enhanced by the red flip flops. Know what I mean. Nudge nudge. rolling eyes

I've seen something like that lift contraption used at Dizin to send up supplies to the mountain restaurant or take injured bodies back down. But I can't figure out what the extra side bit with the rope is for ...... ?????
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kuwait_ian, drifting off topic here... so it's the law for foreigners to wear them, whatever their beliefs, in Iran? Or were they all wearing head scarves out of respect for their hosts. All the girls in the photo doing the course inspection are Europeans. [Edit: or Japanese]

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 13-09-05 18:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, wandering even further off topic, If a woman wore no makeup and shaved her head, is the covering still required?

I've an answer in a Islam philosophy book from the 'Twenties', I'm curious about present day constricts.
ski holidays
PG, & Masque, I'd better be careful about the word 'law'. It is expected that all women in Iran regardless of religion, origin, degree of attractiveness, etc should comply with the dress code in public. In the privacy of your own home, anything goes. The code is basically the hair should be completely covered and the body should be concealed by a loose-fitting garment of some sort. Bright makeup is not approved of but the rules on lipstick seem to flux a bit depending on who is in power. A floppy raincoat will do for visitors as the coverall - you certainly don't need a black tent (the chador). Where the 'law' comes in is that if a woman does not comply she is certainly going to get some serious hassle from the old Bill. When I lived there, I never saw any foreigners not making some effort to comply but as with the 'flightier' young Iranian girls rule bending to see how far you could push the limits was an ongoing game. It was rumoured that in summer, very little was worn under the mac but unfortunately I was never blessed with the sight of any flashing dirty young girls !!

Skiing gear as used in the depths of winter is taken as more or less compliant which is one of the reasons why the sport is so attractive to Iranian teenagers. It's about the only sport that can be done in mixed sex groups. These racing one pieces would attract some attention - I'd guess some sort of special dispensation was arranged for this event.

Sinead o' Conner never did a gig there to the best of my knowledge so Masque's interesting question must remain unanswered. Personally I reckon the Kommittee would quickly find something un-Islamic or provocative or both about a shaven bonce. Cool What does your old tome say on the subject, Masque??

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 14-09-05 9:29; edited 2 times in total
snow report
F&CO advice for the Iran dress code, if anyone is interested.
Quote:
You should take care not to offend Islamic codes of behaviour and should dress appropriately when in public. Enforcement of the Islamic dress code varies. As a general rule men should dress conservatively with long trousers and sleeves. Women should cover their heads whenever they are in public, at least by wearing a plain-coloured headscarf, and wear loose fitting clothing with their arms and legs covered and a knee length coat or tunic. There are occasional crackdowns on dress particularly in the summer months and during times of religious commemoration. If you do not strictly obey these rules you may encounter difficulties or even face arrest.

Saudi is stricter about women covering up and you will need a combined head and body coverall in black known as an abbiyah. Nowhere else in the Middle East requires any special dress unless you plan to visit mosques or religious sites which will usually have something to give you if it's on the tourist trail. Wearing hot pants and a boob tube in Dubai is however going to get you confused with the working girls from Russia or Georgia. Don't accept less than $100 wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy