Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SOME ADVICE PLEASE - ITALY

Poster: A snowHead
I am going skiing in Italy for 2 weeks in March 2012, and my initial plan was to spend both weeks in La Thuile. I have however been to La Thuile twice before, and after joining this forum, it dawned on me that there are probably thousands of excellent skiing areas, and perhaps it is foolhardy to just stick to one resort, regardless of how good it is.

So, my question is this: Where would be a good spot to spend my second week?

Please take into consideration that I am flying in and out of Milan, so the second resort should be somewhere between La Thuile and Milan. I do of course realise (having regard to the need for mountains) that some deviation will be required.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Gerry
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Livigno is a long transfer from Milan, but it's a long way from anywhere! I've been there many times. I love it. Loads of accommodation, bars, restaurants, shops. Skiing on both sides of a long valley. From the centre you can ski Costaccia and then make your way across to Carasello, catch the bus to Mottolino and spend the afternoon there. There are a few interesting mountain bars dotted about. A few black runs, not a huge amount. Not sure but I think a week ski pass lets you ski in Bormio and Santa Caterina, and gives you a discount on a day skiing in st moritz. Buses for those places leave early.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love Courmayeur, literally just around the corner from La Thuile (a short, cheap/free ski bus away). Not the largest resort, but some good variety and excellent restaurants. It may not be quite the right place for you to spend your second week, but certainly worth a day visit when you're in La Thuile if not (should get one day on your lift pass if I recall correctly).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Courmayeur is one of my favourites too. Definitely worth a visit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

perhaps it is foolhardy to just stick to one resort, regardless of how good it is.

no, it's the opposite of foolhardy - playing it very safe. But there are lots of other good places to see. Aosta is not far away - interesting old town (though the roundabout where I saw for three hours with a broken clutch, at the entrance to one of the steel works, wasn't too pretty.....) and there are some good places, including Pila, quite near. We have Pila on a list of places to go - do report back on it, if you go. We don't get so many reports on Italian places.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi BinkiBelle, thanks for that recommendation. I must admit that I have always been tempted to go to Livigno. But, I think it will involve too great a transfer on this trip, and will not be worth it. I was thinking more along the lines of something south of the Aosta Valley towards Milan or Turin?

Gerry
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courmayeur is decent, but in my humble opinion, not nearly as good as La Thuile. But, I do appreciate the advice, and will definitely do a day trip to there, as I have previously done.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Pam,

Thank you, I will look into Pila.

Gerry
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monterosa? Gressoney is worth a few days at the very least and it's not much a of a detour to your route.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks sah - I will invetigate those as well.

Somebody mentioned Sauze D’Oulx. any comments?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BinkiBelle wrote:
Livigno is a long transfer from Milan, but it's a long way from anywhere! I've been there many times. I love it. Loads of accommodation, bars, restaurants, shops. Skiing on both sides of a long valley. From the centre you can ski Costaccia and then make your way across to Carasello, catch the bus to Mottolino and spend the afternoon there. There are a few interesting mountain bars dotted about. A few black runs, not a huge amount. Not sure but I think a week ski pass lets you ski in Bormio and Santa Caterina, and gives you a discount on a day skiing in st moritz. Buses for those places leave early.

I love love love Santa Caterina. It's not a big resort by any stretch of the imagination and if you are super keen/super skier a day would suffice. It's a long bus ride from Livigno though, over an hour. Bormio has more challenges to offer but of the three Livigno is the bigger resort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks dbaskls - any views on sauze d' oulx?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

any views on sauze d' oulx?

it's a long way from La Thuile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sauze is linked to Sestriere and Sansicario. Loads of great skiing and highly recommended. You wouldn't be disappointed. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gerry, I'd agree with others who commend Courmayeur. Rather like La Thuile, which links with La Rosiere, it offers an easy excursion to France too. In the case of Courmayeur, a short trip through the Mont Blanc tunnel and you're in the Chamonix valley. One of the most stunning and atmospheric ski areas in the world. You can also access the famous Vallee Blanche from Courmayeur. Other than that, it's an attractive old town with a medium sized ski area, probably best suited to intermediates. Good food available last time I visited. Sauze D'Oulx? Never been there, but has a reputation of being very lively, bordering on the rowdy. However, it links into the large Milky Way circuit and I believe there's been quite a lot of investment in lifts in recent years.
snow report
Quote:

Rather like La Thuile, which links with La Rosiere, it offers an easy excursion to France too. In the case of Courmayeur, a short trip through the Mont Blanc tunnel and you're in the Chamonix valley

It's hardly comparable to skiing from one side of a linked area to another though, is it? The MB tunnel is not that short!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Rather like La Thuile, which links with La Rosiere, it offers an easy excursion to France too. In the case of Courmayeur, a short trip through the Mont Blanc tunnel and you're in the Chamonix valley

It's hardly comparable to skiing from one side of a linked area to another though, is it? The MB tunnel is not that short!
True, but well worth the effort.
snow conditions
Could just go and spend a few days in Chamonix...... wink
ski holidays
Near to La Thuile, Cervinia (Italian side of the Matterhorn) is the obvious choice as an alternative.

Livigno is a very very long way away: totally different part of the Alps! (But I suppose close in S.African terms.)
latest report
Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

Pam, on the map Sauze does not seem to be too far away from La Thuile? It appears to be about 2 or 3 hours on trains / buses? Or am I completely wrong?

Been looking at Champoluc as well - any comments?

Rob, will take a god look at Cervinia as well.

Gerry
snow conditions
Okay, narrowed it down to Cervinia or Champoluc - will depend on what accommodation available, but leaning towards Cervinia.
snow report
Can't comment on Cervinia, but Champoluc is smallish, friendly, good food, good value. It connects over the hill to Gressoney, and then over another hill to Alagna. Not the best for beginners, very good off-piste. I stayed up in a refugio the other week and it was great to go outside at night into the quiet, and then have first tracks down in the morning.
ski holidays
I've been to all the resorts in the Aosta, bar Pila and if it where me I'd be going to Cervinia or Gressoney la Trinite. You'll find it difficult to get accommodation in Cervinia if your doing it yourself it gets booked up. Gressoney is in a better location than Champoluc as its in the middle of the area and easy to get to Alagna and Champoluc. Its dead quite on the slopes with most runs to youself and the food is great & cheap.

Sauze too far
Livigno's great but too far
and you've done Courmeyeur

Gaz
ski holidays
michael stocking, was that the Rifugio Gabiet you stayed in? If so - how was it?
latest report
I agree with Gaz H. Gressony is pretty quiet (but then so is La Thuile) but there's plenty of skiing, especially if you get a guide.
latest report
I rate Pila higher than La Thuille and Courmayeur, I've been to several of the resorts in the area over the years teaching in Pila. The link into Le Ros I find a bit tedious to do day in day out for not much gain if you're an experienced skier particulary. Pila is relatively small but I find it has allot of interesting terrain-I don't know the actual stats but I'd expect La Thuille and Pila to be similar in size? Aosta is a pretty interesting place if you choose to stay there rather than in resort and easier access if you want to visit a few different resorts.

Cervinia I'd recommend mainly as you can ski in Zermatt.
snow report
Thanks all - based on what I have been told on here, and some internet research, I have decide on cervinia.

I have found some decent looking accommodation, and am already loking forward to week 2!
latest report
JHBGerry wrote:
thanks dbaskls - any views on sauze d' oulx?

Haven't been - sorry - the year our lot went there I was pregnant!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you very much to everybody for the help. I will give feedback when I return. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy