Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Succesful resorts................

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Taken from
2011 International
report on mountain
tourism

Overview of the key industry
figures for ski resorts
by Laurent Vanat
www.vanat.ch

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 31-01-12 14:51; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5. Publicised data or estimates when required.
Bit blurry - sorry maybe a Mod or an Admin can get it a bit clearer.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 31-01-12 14:49; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are in Sweden more busy than Meribel? Did I read that right?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Numbers of visitors, alone, isn't much of a measure of "success", is it? Just size. Which resorts make the most money, I wonder? On what other criterion would La Plagne rank as "more successful" than, say St Anton or Verbier?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Heres the glossary
Glossary
Quote:
Hourly output of the lifts (skiers/hour): The manufacturer’s rated number of skiers
per hour a lift can transport to the top of the lift. Total country capacity is the sum
of all the individual lifts capacity.
Number of skiers transported yearly: Meant by number of passengers transported
per leg; one skier taking 5 times the same lift accounts for 5 skiers transported, also
called “Frequencies”.
Participation rate nationals: Rate of skiers in total country population.
Ski area: Notorious place of ski practice (in some countries, they may even account no
lifts)
Ski resort: A ski resort is considered as an organised ski area with more than four
lifts.
Skier visits (or skier-days): One person visiting a ski area for all or any part of a
day or night for the purpose of skiing, snowboarding, or other downhill sliding. Skier
visits include full-day, half-day, night, complimentary, adult, child, season pass and any
other type of ticket that gives a skier/snowboarder the use of an area's facilities.
Skiers: One person practising ski, snowboard or other downhill slide, independent of
the rate of practice.
Vertical Transport Meters per Hour (VTMH): Product of each individual lift hourly
capacity, times vertical (in fact the figure is usually expressed in thousands).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Numbers of visitors, alone, isn't much of a measure of "success", is it? Just size. Which resorts make the most money, I wonder? On what other criterion would La Plagne rank as "more successful" than, say St Anton or Verbier?

Good question.
However, French based Compagnie des Alpes, the world’s largest ski resorts operator, is a highly profitable company but even they stumbled last year with ifirc a 5% drop in profits.
I guess it depends on how you personally measure success. If you add LP and LA together, Paradiski, on the table above, is far and away the visited ski area in the world. It would be nice if CdA re-invested into the resorts, one gets the impression that LP particularly is a cash cow for the CdA business. There are certainly a number of lifts that currently need replacement, although ifirc Les Arcs has a higher number of elderly lifts overall.

http://www.compagniedesalpes.com/en/dom_ski_cda

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 31-01-12 15:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suppose if you can cram in huge numbers without having to invest in expensive new lifts, that's definitely a success!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
Are in Sweden more busy than Meribel? Did I read that right?
yep, week-ending Swedes haven't got much choice. It's there or somewhere terminally dull like Salen.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It beats me how the lift company round here makes much money, given that the pistes are so empty outside school hols. Makes it a most pleasant experience as a skier, but not so clever if you're trying to make money out of it!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, CdA's average margin is 14.6% not bad eh!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quite useful as a guide for where to avoid if you vant to be alone

Like this definition though:

Ski area: Notorious place of ski practice
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy