Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold fingers - Glove advice

Poster: A snowHead
Bad circulation, cold fingers, all that nonsense. Question is, what gloves do people recommend?

I've found some ones that have metal coils which heat your fingers but I'm not spending £260 on a pair of gloves. Sad

Debating going for the Hestra Men's Army Leather XCR Gloves. http://www.ellis-brigham.com/ski-gloves/hestra/316128/men's-army-leather-xcr-gloves

Or is something like the Dakine Apollo any good http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/TwoSeasons/_06GL1PDK11-2406/120983/Apollo

Or is there something else anyone can suggest??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get (i) some inner gloves and (ii) mittens, not gloves.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for inner gloves - I have silk ones and they made a big difference. You may find you don't need to buy new outer gloves.

*Still wearing a 15-year-old pair of Goretex ski gloves, purchased from Blacks for slightly more than pennies (but not much). Nice and warm with the silk inners Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+ 1 for inners and mitts - I get cold fingers adn that combo keeps my hands warm. With mitts you can alos put in a hand warmer (those disposable tea bag ones) no probs which isn't easy to do with gloves.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get climbers mittens, look at Mammut etc
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mitts, far more durable than gloves and much warmer, never needed inners yet.

also worth trying an extra layer - main reason for getting cold hands/feet is that you arent as warm as you think and your body is trying to keep the core warm and cutting circulation to the extremities!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree mitts much warmer, with inners if necessary. But also, use some of the little teabag handwarmers - they give a nice gentle heat all day, make a world of difference.

and obviously, once your gloves are on, keep them on. If your phone rings, ignore the damn thing. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds stupid, but make sure you're wearing enough (maybe a tad too much) elsewhere. If your body is having to work harder to keep other body parts warm it'll usually neglect your hands and feet and they'll start to feel cold.

The other option is to ski like me, I make it far too much hard work for myself and sweat like anything.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah always wrap up warm, but that has bug all effect. Sad

Mitts eh...always thought that gripping poles/doing up zips etc would be really difficult. Plus I haven't warn them since I was about 3.

Have the old inners already.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do you ski or board? i have recently started using a pair of north face himalaya mittens which are, if anything, a bit too warm. I found them a bit of a struggle skiing because holding the poles felt a bit vague under all the insulation, but for snowboarding, they are excellent. Any of the mountaineering type mittens will be very warm and they will all costs less than your heated ones.

If you are stuck with gloves the main thing is make sure they stay dry. This usually means goretex. If they aren't warm enough add liners and tea bags.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for mitts! You can even get merino wool liner mitts (partner who suffers from cold hands reckons these make a difference over liner gloves)

I wasn't keen on wearing mitts but did find they make a difference so is worth having fingers a bit restricted instead of numb!

Also used disposable hand warmers one day in Jan when it was really cold- cheaper than heated gloves. Highly reccommended!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have recently acquired a blocked artery in my left arm, which means my left hand gets cold to the point of pain even at quite mild temperatures. I solved this for skiing by 1. Goretex mittens by Kombi (£30 from TK Maxx) worn with silk liners from Decathlon 2. A merino with built-in wrist warmers in the form of thumb holes. and (most important) 3. Hot packs between silk and mitten. 99p for a pack of 2 from Sportsdirect. They last all day and keep my dodgy hand warm at all times. Amazingly effective inside mittens.

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski, so it's the poles I'm most concerned about with mittens...

Anyone completely allay those fears?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Legend., I had the same reservations about skiing with mittens. Poles are no problem. The only difference is I took fewer photographs this trip.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It depends what type of skiing you're going to be doing:

I had a pair of C&A gloves that I used for years and they were fine for every day on-piste use, but on one occasion I was doing a day tour in Argentierre and my gloves got really wet, and I just couldn't warm my hands - it was very painful. We were miles from anywhere so the guide lent me his spare pair of 'very expensive' leather gloves, and my hands soon warmed up; it was a sobering lesson.

After that I bought the most expensive leather gloves I could find and I've never looked back. If I'm likely to be off piste all day then I take a spare pair of leather gloves in my rucksack, and I've lent them out on more than one occasion.

If you're going off piste then I'd buy leather gloves, and I wouldn't spend less than £100.
snow conditions
Marmot Work
well made, warm, relatively dextrous, less than £100
snow conditions
Legend., grabbing the poles with mittens is no problem, unless you have very special poles. Grabbing the zipper with mittens can be a bit hard, but in my experience it's just as hard with gloves on. YMMV. You may have to take the mittens/gloves off for that, which is when liners are extra nice.
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
I had the same reservations about skiing with mittens. Poles are no problem. The only difference is I took fewer photographs this trip.

That's when silk glove liners become really useful. They may seem incredibly thin but they make a big difference when you need to whip your hands out for a few seconds.

jellylegs wrote:
...and I wouldn't spend less than £100.

Many off-piste guides use gloves like these that they bought for a few euros at the garden centre:
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Categories/Ski_Gloves

There's nothing wrong about having several pairs of gloves too. When one of our group attended a snow survival weekend he was told to take at least 6 pairs.
latest report
Mittens are much warmer and you can still hold a ski pole just fine in my experience. Some more hints and tips:

Carry at least two pairs of gloves in case a pair get wet.
Never drop the gloves in the snow; take them off and stuff them down your jacket if you need to take them off even if it's just for 10 seconds.
Swing your arms in circles in the lift queue to keep the circulation going.
Put some zips ties through all of the zippers so you can just thread the thumb through the zip tie - removing the need to grab a zipper.

I have 3 pairs when I'm skiing in cold (-20C or lower temperatures). Mammut work gloves; BD Mercury mitts and then Canada Goose Down mitts.

Handwarmers are also good - I often just break open a pack first thing in the morning.
ski holidays
Thanks guys. Excellent advice Loving the zip tie idea Very Happy
snow conditions
Get the Hestra Heli 3 finger glove - aka "Lobster glove" , not quite a mitten but no a regular glove either... the free first finger makes them easier for handling zips/clips etc.

and an extra liner for the extra cold days.

I'm sure there's other lobster gloves available (i have some danish brand...) but the Hestras should be very durable, warm and you can't beat the smell of good leather...
snow conditions
If money is no object try "ansai mobile warming gloves" a raynauds sufferer friend swears by them, cost $200!!!! Electronic heating, 4 levels of heat.
Personally I wear mittens which cost £5 in an end of season sale at sport direct, if its silly cold the t-bag handwarmers are great too. Very Happy
snow conditions
Like everyone else says mittens are the way to go for cold hands. Always carry some liners in your pocket and another top tip wear wrist warmers. I only found out about wrist warmers recently after reading an artical in the BMC mag on cold hands. Apparently after your head the wrist is the fastest way to lose heat.
You could go all out and even wear a waterproof over mitt too. Like else wear layering on the hands is the key to keeping warm

Mitts/Gloves with primaloft in will be the warmest since this is the most effective synthetic insulation material on the market today Smile
Personally I'd be looking at gloves designed for ice climbing and ski mountaineering. There generally more durable, warmer and more waterproof. Black diamond have a good range
snow conditions
Totally agree that you need to look at thermal inners. Also consider carrying spare gloves and inners so you can swap if/when they get damp. Make sure you dry them out overnight too.

The biggest tip I can give though is to not take your gloves off. Learn to do everything with gloves on (fiddling with boots, using a camera etc) and keep your gloves on all the time you are outside. For this reason I do not use mittens, I'm sure they are warm but you have to take them off sometimes and that's when I find my hands get cold.
snow report
I just wear a decent pair (currnetly North Face, previously Phoenix) of Gore Tex gloves and have never needed a liner. However Mrs.D regularly uses some silk liners in her gore gloves as an extra layer when its bitter cold.

Its all about keeping you core warm though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy