Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat(ter) ski convert looking for easy-going ski

Poster: A snowHead
.... so just back from Val, where I decided to do an "intro to off-piste" course and have learned the following:

Off-piste skiing is rather rewarding! And I'll certainly be doing more of it.
Fatter skis make off-piste easier.
Fatter skis work fine on-piste

All rather obvious, I know! But I reckon it's time to 'invest' in some fat(ter) all-round skis. Very Happy

There are few caviats/criteria which is why I thought I'd look for some suggestions from my fellow snowHead 's

I'm really not an aggressive skier and tend to ski at moderate speeds, so would like something soft/forgiving.

My carving is coming along, but I tend to use short/skiddy turns quite a bit - so I guess I'm after a ski with the reasonably tight radius(?)

If they're useful, my other stats are: weight - 80kg / height - 5' 11" / happy to ski most runs (apart from moguls - although this is on my list of things to learn/improve)

Any suggestions are welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just out of interest, what would you consider 'fatter' to be, anyway? 90mm? 100mm? 120mm?

If I were after such a thing right now, I'd be finding out where I can demo a pair of Whitedot Directors, preferably without having to go all the way to Chamonix to do so.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

what would you consider 'fatter' to be, anyway? 90mm? 100mm? 120mm?

Good question. was thinking up to 90mm - but I'm really no expert on skis, so if there's a 90mm+ ski that fits the bill and works as reasonable all-rounder, then I'm happy to give them a demo!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm really not an aggressive skier and tend to ski at moderate speeds, so would like something soft/forgiving.

My carving is coming along, but I tend to use short/skiddy turns quite a bit - so I guess I'm after a ski with the reasonably tight radius(?)

Take a look at Line and K2, quite a few things should fit the bill (probably not Line Prophets though).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serriadh, You can go to Tignes to try them out SNOWPARK Tignes Le Lac
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abj, Scott Mission
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj wrote:
Quote:

what would you consider 'fatter' to be, anyway? 90mm? 100mm? 120mm?

Good question. was thinking up to 90mm - but I'm really no expert on skis, so if there's a 90mm+ ski that fits the bill and works as reasonable all-rounder, then I'm happy to give them a demo!

Dude, 90mm is the new skinny!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic, Did think of the Missions - however one of the other guys on the course had a hire pair and he mentioned that short/skiddy/pivoted turns weren't a strong point, so I'd sort of discounted these as an option.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh, Ha ha - thought you might say that!

I'm not set on any width - so really happy to look at anything.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abj, You are correct, however skidding, massive sideslipping off-piste is.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've discovered a new trick, put both feet together on a pair of 120s and skid down the piste one can create the noise of a snowboard, punters leap out of the way to avoid the +++++ one can then carve your way majestically past.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
.abj,one of the best genuine all mountain ski made in my modest opinion Kastle MX 88
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85459&highlight=. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitedot Ones Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scott Mission 89mm - I wouldn't dismiss them so readily. This season has a bit of rocker which will help with the shorter, pivoted, turns you are after. Your mate's hire pair probably were not this year's model. Try a pair yourself.
Atomic Theory 95mm - Great fun. Easy to ski. Better grip on piste than Mission IMO.
Volkl Bridge 95mm - ELP rocker makes then very manouvreable but still solid with good grip on piste.
Rossignol S3 98mm - Most rockered of the lot so great for soft snow and tight turns.

They should all suit someone who is relatively light and doesn't ski particularly aggressively. But try them out if you can.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rossignol S3
Meet all your criteia.

NB the do ski shorter than their apparent length so get the long ones.

I am almost your dimensions and love them.
snow report
abj, WDF Preachers. Possibly the best all mountain ski on the planet (but then I would say that. We only have three pairs in our house).
A bit fatter than you might have considered, but so easy to ski. No need to an an expert or aggressive skier to get the best from them. And they're unbelievably forgiving. And as an added bonus they're also quite useful on piste.
Check out the numerous reviews on here.
latest report
Just come back from a weekend in Chamonix where I was skiing on Dynastar Sultan Legend 85s (178 cm long, 2011 model) which is a ski I love dearly however...

I'm a fairly strong intermediate-verging-on-advanced on-piste skier but a woeful gimp in the soft stuff. I'm trying to venture further off the side every time I go but I'm pretty heavy (112Kg) and find that I tend to plow through the soft snow rather than float on it and I was finding it a bit of a nightmare on the Sultans so I took 'em back to the hire shop and asked for something a bit wider underfoot. Hoping for something in the 90-95 range, all they had left were some Black Crows Corvus 175.4s which are 105mm at the waist. Despite being a intimidated by the width I thought what the hell I'll them a go - much to my mates' amusement and constant jibes about how impossible I'd find them!

Anyway, they were an absolute revelation. We spent yesterday morning up at Brevent/Flegere with blue(ish) skies and perfect pistes and whilst they weren't as forgiving on the piste as a more carving setup like the Sultans, they were way better than I'd expected. I found them easily manageable and happily hooned down the steep and long reds and blacks up there. I even felt they improved my overall on-piste technique because I had to concentrate more on my skiing to get them to carve but they were stable and responsive at speed. But when I got off the side a bit I found that all of a sudden I had the float and turnability that everyone describes in the powder that I'd never experienced before and came off the mountain with the biggest grin on my chops. A very happy punter indeed.

The Black Crows website describe the 175.4s as a lighter persons ski so maybe you'd find them even better than I did!
latest report
Snow_Dog wrote:
Atomic Theory 95mm - Great fun. Easy to ski. Better grip on piste than Mission IMO.

I have recently bought a pair of these, my first pair of 'fatter' skis.

They've made skiing in softer snow so much easier and a lot more fun, and I haven't had any problems at all on piste - I ski just as well (or badly!) on piste as I did before with my older skis that were about 74mm underfoot. In fact they are a lot more stable than my older skis.

The only 'downside' so far for me is that they're twin tips so a bit wasted on me, as they get in the way a bit when having to herringbone my way up a slight rise, but a small change in technique will stop this.

They're fantastic value for money as well - they can be picked up for around £400 including bindings. Fall-Line magazine ski of the year too.
latest report
Cool - a few skis to add to the list!

Going back to clarky999's suggestion - of K2s or Lines - does anyone know how the Prophet 'Flites' compare to the standard Prophet? From the blurb on the website they Look like a softer more forgiving version (?)
ski holidays
abj wrote:

Going back to clarky999's suggestion - of K2s or Lines - does anyone know how the Prophet 'Flites' compare to the standard Prophet? From the blurb on the website they Look like a softer more forgiving version (?)

Yep, I think that's the idea. I've spent a lot of time on Prophet 100s which are a really fun ski, but better in soft snow and off-piste than hardpack - so not a true all-rounder. Prophet 90s might work for you and the Flites if you want something a bit lighter/softer. I'd try these out and probably something like the Rossi S3, which I would imagine is fun to skid around on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy