Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

before piste bashers..?

Poster: A snowHead
Have been thinking lately after reading about the history of a couple of ski resorts...

What happened before pisted bashers? Pistes left as the were? No/loosely defined pisted? Manual pisting? How? And when did someone suddenly decide to build a huge tractor for smoothing pistes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vik, they were left as they were.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Things were better...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
..well at least the blue run hero would be a non existent species. I recently rode a lift with a guy who'd grown up and learnt to ski in the backcountry on tele gear and resorts were a relatively new experience for him. When I 'd said it must have been a pretty good learning curve he replied he mainly got very good at falling.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vik wrote:
Have been thinking lately after reading about the history of a couple of ski resorts...

What happened before pisted bashers? Pistes left as the were? No/loosely defined pisted?

It's called La Grave. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
vik, they hired local villagers to go out and use these!

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://skiingheritage.blogspot.com/2010/07/bradley-packer-grader-in-historical.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vik, go to a club field in New Zealand for no piste bashers or go off piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure there was some sort of piste preparation back in the 70s/80s when I started skiing but obviously things are much better now. Fast lifts, smooth pistes, snowmaking for when mother nature fails to deliver and good signposting. In fact when I think back to the long skinny skis with no brakes on the bindings (we had leg leashes), limited piste preparation, varying snow conditions, no merino wool baselayers (we wore woolworths polo necks and tights) and lift passes on an elastic arm band, I wonder how on earth I ever managed... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
vik, before Piste bashers people made their own pistes by following other peoples tracks, you also tended to get much larger mogul fields.

There were apparently manual piste machines (though I can't find anything specific about them) possibly in the post WWII years.

So far as I can discover Bombardier were the people that developed the technology used in terms of tracks etc, however I can't find out who produced the first Piste Groomer, it seems likely that they were developed from tractor units built around the time of WWII and intended to work in hostile winter conditions, but as to who came up with the idea for sticking a paddle on the back and grooming pistes I have no idea Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piste machines should be rigged to self destruct if they venture onto red or black runs
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kieranm wrote:
http://skiingheritage.blogspot.com/2010/07/bradley-packer-grader-in-historical.html

Spot on! Thanks very much, really interesting!

waynos wrote:

I wasn't asking for unpisted runs, plenty in most resorts or just get out of bed later Wink i was just asking about when modern piste prep started and what was before it.

tangowaggon wrote:
Piste machines should be rigged to self destruct if they venture onto red or black runs

Not everyone wants to ski mega mogul runs all the time, sometimes its nice to turn at your leisure, rather than forced 20 times per minute.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All you 'stop the grooming' types should consider what would have happened to your Easter holiday last year in the absence of sophisticated snow management. Be careful what you wish for.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it was a two man job with a heavy roller at the back , i posted a clip last year ,but cant find it now
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied in Romania some years ago and all the resort was unpisted for a week after heavy snowfall, they did not have money for piste basher petrol. Glorious fun, all the beginners didnt know any better and thought quite normal to narrow snowplough through six inches of powder.
latest report
Quote:

Not everyone wants to ski mega mogul runs all the time, sometimes its nice to turn at your leisure, rather than forced 20 times per minute.

Yes but I was in the 3v two weeks ago and I could find just two vaguely challenging runs in the entire area, the Grand Coulour and Bosses that was unpisted
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
All you 'stop the grooming' types should consider what would have happened to your Easter holiday last year in the absence of sophisticated snow management. Be careful what you wish for.

Plenty of shaded couloirs left, and in normal years there'd be much more than that.

Would be worth it anyway.
ski holidays
clarky999, you're capable of doing that stuff. The average punter on here and in resort isn't, and is never going to be, however much he might enjoy reading about it, discussing it etc. Remember that the industry survives on average punters just like them.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:

Off piste in Val Thorens was fine n dandy thank you very much- far better than the pistes a lot of the time.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
clarky999, you're capable of doing that stuff. The average punter on here and in resort isn't, and is never going to be, however much he might enjoy reading about it, discussing it etc. Remember that the industry survives on average punters just like them.

Doesn't have to be hard!

I just like the idea of people learning to ski, rather than slide through a theme park.

Although I do recognise grooming is here to stay/without it there'd be even less money to be made in the alps/etc.
ski holidays
Quote:

Doesn't have to be hard!

Yeah right. Look at the resort clientele - kids, families, old people, holidaymakers, recreational skiers, the odd disabled person. How many of them would actually be into your ski sauvage? 'Sliding through the theme park' provides enough challenge and fun for the huge majority of skiers out there, and funds the lifts everyone else uses to get to those shaded couloirs.

People interested in 'learning to ski' will still do it, grooming or no grooming. Snow management extends the season, brings in more/new business, makes mountain communities more viable, promotes interest in wntersports in general.
snow report
it's a different sport, isn't it? Just as ice skating on a high quality indoor rink which is maintained twice a day etc etc etc is nothing like skating in a Brueghel painting on frozen canals full of dead cats, lumps of poo and the 16 century equivalent of supermarket trolleys.
snow conditions
I know that Monet isn't Brueghel, but imagine this on a chilly day:
snow conditions
altis, Laughing would sort the men from the boys, skating through that when it freezes. wink
latest report
pam w, Laughing But exactly.
latest report
Lizzard, Don't worry no-one's going to turn the clock back on you at least until energy prices make lift ops unaffordable to the average punter. It's worth considering that for every moan about people skiing too fast, pistes being too crowded, people stopping in dumb places there's a ready & cheap solution.
ski holidays
vik wrote:

waynos wrote:

I wasn't asking for unpisted runs, plenty in most resorts or just get out of bed later Wink i was just asking about when modern piste prep started and what was before it

Well you're asking what resorts were like before piste bashers so I pointed out that club fields in NZ, when I was last there, don't use bashers and generally use high speed rope tows to get you up the hill. So a bit of living ski history circa 1950s style I guess. I stayed at Craigieburn for a week many years back http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigieburn_Valley_Ski_Area the official site seems to be down at the moment. http://www.craigieburn.co.nz/mountain/general but check other NZ club fields for a feel of pre-commercial, bashed resorts.
ski holidays
Oh well its La Grave again!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon, You just had to look to your right, the joys of Telepherique or the other couloirs
snow conditions
Lizzard, Quite agree. I'm a very mediocre skier, but my money helps keep resorts open for others to enjoy the unpisted and natural runs which are on offer

If people hate pistes and groomed runs, don't go to them
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes but I was in the 3v two weeks ago and I could find just two vaguely challenging runs in the entire area, the Grand Coulour and Bosses that was unpisted

You didn't go and talk to the Bureau des Guides then, did you?
snow report
A lot of the smaller resorts only do limited bashing - the big resorts groom because that is what their guests expect and want. Before manual piste grooming machines the piste patrollers would ski then side slip runs.

Piste bashing preserves the snow base and reduces the avalanche risk. Some US resorts which don't groom have to boot pack the runs after the first snow for the same effect.
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
Quote:

no off piste opps in the whole of the 3v? really!?

basically as stated by a couple of people and myself) above, all the anti-grooming people: either get up later, or go off piste.
snow conditions
Lizzard, can't people see the contradiction between wanting immaculate groomed featureless motorways, then wanting a 100km + of trails because doing them more than once is boring!! If your always looking for a bigger resort, you'll find spending some time (and money) to advance your skill set far more rewarding.
latest report
vik, there are many people who want more variety than endless groomers, but want the security of being on piste, in terms of having patrol and avalanche control. It's one reason why interest in crossing the pond seems to be increasing for ski holidays.
snow conditions
At most of the US resorts that I have been to, a majority of black runs are left un-groomed as were some parts of Les Arcs when I was there.

OTOH, when I took my 4 yo skiing for the first time in a Park in Bourg St Maurice, I had to manually boot pack a spot for her as there was not enough pitch to get moving otherwise. On the other end of the spectrum, Aspens Highlands has local volunteers who help to boot pack Highlands bowl early in the season to mitigate avalanche danger due to the steepness of the pitch.
ski holidays
What I remember, in Hinterglemm about the end of the 60s, was a man towing a thing rather like a cheese slicer down behind him. Maybe something like the things shown in the link given by kieranm but simpler, if I remember correctly. Around the same time I saw my first piste basher at the top of the Schattberg above Saalbach.
ski holidays
I have some vague recollection of an old black and white photo on a wall in the restaurant in Jungholz (tiny bavarian resort) of a load of people with a giant roller of some sort, might even have been a log. The lady skiers were also wearing skirts.
snow report
on a similar note, when came actual piste bashing? - so buldozing and blastings rocks etc to actually define the piste/road/route down the hill? how many places have had this but no snow grooming? who's skiing "off-piste" versus who's skiing the terrain?

all that to one side, i love seeing old bashers and lifts and snowmobiles etc., keep em coming
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
I just like the idea of people learning to ski, rather than slide through a theme park.

Do you also want to get rid of all the artifical 'fun parks' where all the dudes hang out Puzzled Lots of them can't ski/board very well but they get their kicks from jumps, rails, boxes etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy