Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coldest Temperature

Poster: A snowHead
Just been looking at the forecast as I'm off to 3 Valleys on Saturday, and some very cold temperatures are forecast across the Alps. So, bit of a competition for fun, who can get a picture of the coldest temperature on a thermometer!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
this will be interesting, I should have kept the one from two years ago -22 in La Fornet
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
someone will need to be up on an Alp at 4 am to get the lowest temperatures......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, if someone wants to hike several thousand feet and get a picture with a thermometer then be my guest!!! like I said it's just for a bit if fun and must be taken from now onwards. When i get to Les Menuires on Saturday lunchtime, it will have warmed up to -23!!! Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whats the lowest temp you can still ski at?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Russeh, Until you freeze to death probably! I've done -35c at Killington, Vermont. Uncomfortable is an understatement. Just been looking, Friday morning with a 10mph wind on Chamonix' highest slopes -65c Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

if someone wants to hike several thousand feet and get a picture with a thermometer then be my guest!!!

Well I won't be doing that but might pop out in my PJs onto the terrace.... wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Taken a few years ago. Later when we got to the top it was -34c 65k 5/5 and whiteout. Didn't hang around for another picture it was too painful and the goggles were freezing.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 29-01-12 22:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do remember the dog refusing to go out one morning because it was -22 and her paws kept freezing up. The diesel didn't like it either and we needed a new fuel filter. As we couldn't start the car and collect sons from the railway station, they arrived in a taxi in t-shirts rolling eyes .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowforecast.com has air temps down as low as -40 on the Grande Motte and Klein Matterhorn by Wednesday.

Thats way too unpleasant and and I would think probably too cold to let people up there if it gets anywhere near that Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter S, Chamonix on snow forecast. Earlier it was saying -65c for Friday evening!

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Russeh, Until you freeze to death probably! I've done -35c at Killington, Vermont. Uncomfortable is an understatement. Just been looking, Friday morning with a 10mph wind on Chamonix' highest slopes -65c Confused

brrr thats chilly, the coldest i've experienced is -18 and that felt very cold. I suppose on the up side of these cold temps is its likly to be clear blue skies Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rick, that would have been a windchill (feels like) temperature, rather than a predicted actual temperature, nevertheless -41 is still impressive by any standard Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, can you recomend anything extra we might want to pack to deal with extreme colds like whats being forecast? We have icebreakers, fleece mid layers and stuff to cover neck and face.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In a ski exam at -19 I was amazed how cold I was and had to go to a restaurant to thaw out my feet at down time, I exclaimed how cold I was but only -19, a bar dweller shouted, “Boy this is America that’s Fahrenheit”. Later my examiner said “You’ve got 10 seconds to tell em what to do, any longer you’ve failed” I think that advice is very good for every instructor I see jawing on the slopes in cold weather.
snow conditions
Russeh, balaclavas - I'm being serious as well. Go online and look at them. Also hand and feet warmers are brilliant at keeping limbs warm. 6 thinner layers is better than 2 thick layers. Working upwards I will be wearing underwear, socks x2, thermals, ski pants, base layer, t-shirt, jumper, fleece, coat, thin gloves then ski gloves. Ski mask/balaclava, kneck warmer, hat, goggles. That should do it! At those temps, and exposed skin withthe added wind caused by you skiing at speed will result in frost nip, or worse frost bite. Wrap up warm!
latest report
warmest inner gloves are ?

to go inside hestra gloves, yes hestra!
ski holidays
I've skied in -48 (inc windchill) on the Stubai, when I was about 11 or 12. Not so fun.
ski holidays
The coldes temperature I have experience of was 13 januari 1987, -48 that was in Vemdalen Sweden, and that was without windchill, there was no wind at all, 10km from that place I was living for that time it was record of cold degrees for sweden that date, -53.2,, all skistation in the area was closed for near one week. Record for scandinavia was also that date near Enare Träsk in Lapland Finland -56
latest report
Spare a thought for the World Cup Downhillers racing there this week (including TJ)! Doing 80mph in that cold wearing a permeable catsuit. Brutal!!! Will make a fast slick course though.
snow report
A good tip is make sure your boot inners are thoughly dry. Its worth taking them out each night and placing them in your room or somewhere where they will definately dry out. The slightest damp in them will quickly lead to cold toes.
snow conditions
Perhaps wiki answers needs a learned update?:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_lowest_temperature_ever_recorded_in_France
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, thanks for the advice, good to know i think i'm covered most of that. May need to aquire a balaclava and some hand/foot warmers though.
snow report
Throw a cuppa hot water up in the air and watch it snow.
ski holidays
Russeh, hand warmers on ebay, ive just bought 10 for less than £4 delivered!
latest report
Quote:

yes, might try that if it gets cold enough. does it have to be hot water?
ski holidays
pam w, yup.
snow report
-32 in Canada at Lake Louise, -50 odd up top. Exposed skin freeze time was about 5 minutes. Mmm, brisk!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Russeh, hand warmers on ebay, ive just bought 10 for less than £4 delivered!

cheers, yeah spotted them but i think i'm going to have to take the hit at ellis brigham or trespass. fly out on saturday morning and might not get them in time if i order online.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

always wanted to try that
latest report
Russeh, you can probably get them in resort if they haven't sold out! Definitely get some, they'll make a big difference. Well worth the money even if you have to pay a bit more.

Get a neoprene face mask too, if you haven't got one already.
snow report
I was skiing in glenshee the day the uk record was set in braemar at -27.5. IIRC it was a sunday- the other reason i remember that day clearly is that some weegies let go the (wooden)T-bar on Carn Aosda which cracked me on the head and blood was flowing profusely.- by the time i skied down to the emergency station at the centre it had more or less stopped bleeding due to the cold. no one was taking it very seriously until it warmed up and started flowing again!!
snow conditions
I have a big box of handwarmers (tea bag type) that we bought in Costco in the States last year - I just dip in for a packet every morning and don't seem to have taken the top layer off the box yet. They were soooo cheap there. When I have finished those I will have to start on the toe warmers as I don't think there is anywhere I could fit those into my boots.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Russeh, you can probably get them in resort if they haven't sold out! Definitely get some, they'll make a big difference. Well worth the money even if you have to pay a bit more.

Get a neoprene face mask too, if you haven't got one already.

yeah, i figure with the forecast being for very cold things like this will sell up quick in the resort. going to have to find time to have a trip over to ellis store before the weeks out. I've got something i can cover my face with but its nothing special £5 buff half fleece type thing, will get something a bit more weighty given the temps we're looking at next week. Very Happy thanks for all your help pam, you've been a great help right from me signing up to snowheads Very Happy
snow conditions
down in Antarctica once and it was a cold one. Must have been -70c and I woke up with a small sphere about 1" in diameter at my bum.

Not knowing what it was I chucked it in the fire and it went "fart". Now THAT WAS COLD.

Yessssss I know.... its a Billy Connolly joke.
ski holidays
http://tinyurl.com/8yrwmrn

My dad sent me this, just over a year ago (Dec 2010). We had -19C back in the 80s.
ski holidays
I think there should be a distinction between temperatures skied in and those just seen. here is my effort in Norquay, near banff. We rode and hiked most the day. with a few defrost stops throughout
thermonometer

Do I win?
ski holidays
When I was in Banff it was -40 on the night, on the coach in the morning the driver asked if everyone was a Brit, we were. It was -35c when we started skiing, I had six layers but had problems with cold air getting in my eyes. There was a frost bite checker on the lift looking at people cheeks if there were white you got sent to the cafe. The snow was very sticky, when I asked the ski tech what wax he recommend he suggested removing all the wax!
snow report
if you have a old spare pair of goggles, because even good ones will eventually freeze up.

and snowshoes or skins as a lot of resorts will shut down in very cold temps Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy