Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie Ski Gear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have done a quick search as this topic must have been done before but didn't find anything, I need some advice on what gear I will need to get and the best places to get it for my first ever ski holiday in March.

I am away for a week and although I know people who I could borrow stuff off, I want to invest in some gear as I hope to make this a yearly trip. I intend on hiring boots/skis/poles but the only thing I currently have is a single pair of ski socks. Can someone point me in the right direction of what I need to buy in terms of clothing? Looking for answers on the following:

- What clothing items do I need and how many of each for a week?
- Not really sure what I should be wearing to stay at a appropriate temperature? How many layers? What in the way of thermals?
- Do I need to go to a shop and try stuff on or can I get it on the internet? The latter would be preferable as the only place near me as a Snow and Rock, which seems expensive from their website.
- What brands to look out for/stay away from?
- Sales - most websites seem to have a sale on currently, are these all likely to end at the end of January?
- Should I borrow certain things and buy other things?

Looking for good value clothing, not interested in expensive latest trends. Few websites I have come across so far are:

http://www.outdoorgear4u.co.uk/category/ski-wear/ski-wear-packages/ - packages any good?
http://www.trespass.co.uk/ - they have a shop within 30 miles I could possibly get to.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blawford, there used to be a "sticky" in the Equipment section but it seems to have gone.
First thing to say: TKMaxx is your friend (if you have one anywhere near you at all).
You need one jacket, one pair of trousers and one decent pair of gloves.
One to two sets of thermals.
Two pairs of socks.
A warm hat.
These are probably the only "special" clothing that you need - otherwise you can get away with rugby shirts, fleeces, tee shirts etc. from your wardrobe.
Don't forget sun screen.
If this is your first ski holiday, you will find that the physical exertion often generates quite a bit of heat.

Trespass is OK (but you can get last year's Trespass in TKMaxx very cheaply).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blawford, outdoorgear4u and Trespass look good but I'd also recommend TK Maxx they've got a good selection of ski jackets, sallopettes and also ski socks, Aldi can also be good. If I were you, buy in shops or if its cheaper online try it on in a shop and order it afterwards. Goggles are essential if skiing in blizzard conditions.

Enjoy your first skiing holiday, I've been doing it for 10 years now, the addiction comes quickly!! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1412114&highlight=guide+clothing#1412114

this is a v useful guide.

thing is, nobody can tell you how many layers you need. Apart from the fact that people vary a lot, so does the weather. A couple of weeks ago, in mid January, it was lovely sunshine, no wind, not cold. But later this week it's going to be absolutely perishing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TK Maxx are definitely worth checking out - you may need more than one visit as their stuff changes quite often.
Decathlon are also worth a look - especially for their own brand baselayers and socks etc.

Also Blacks/Millets troubles mean you can get some bargains there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
agw, +1 for decathalon base layers - just picked up a couple of their 'simple warm' tops to supplement my gear and am really impressed - great fit, really warm and only £7.

blawford, freddie has it about right. When you're in tk max they have some good, some bad and some plain ugly gear. Look for the words "waterproof" and "breathable" on the outer layers. If there's a number next to it, the higher the better. 5,000 (sometimes 5k) is alright, you don't really need much more than 10k. If you can get better gloves go for them. Nothing more miserable than really cold hands.

You'll also need some sunglasses (and or goggles).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aldi and Lidl are worth a look as their ski gear (which is good kit) will be on clearance if they have any left. TKMaxx but get down there quick as knowing them they will be switching to spring/summer stock around now. If you can find an Aldi with merino base layers that fit you just buy it, easily as good as the big name stuff costing several times the price. The only thing you are looking for I'd say splash out on is gloves, went through countless cheap nasty pairs till I bought some very nice Hestra Ski Cross gloves for about £60, have probably saved money in the long run as they are now into their third season and still good as new. These guys have good deals on past season Hestras http://stores.ebay.co.uk/UK-Sports-Online/_i.html?_nkw=hestra&submit=Search&_sid=652395291 (no connection other than as a satisfied customer)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, that was the thread that used ti be a "sticky".
RichardB, goggles! I knew I'd forgotten something Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to add, a load of ski stuff hits Lidl's specials section tomorrow.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=28132&ar2=
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All good kit in the lidl sale, the goggles are great for the money, if you like the jacket/trousers you'll have to pay 3 or 4 times the price to get something as good, the tops are a good even at full price (off to Lidl tomorrow to pick up a couple more of those!) and if you don't want to splash out on Hestra gloves the Lidl ones are no worse than any other none Hestras!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm maybe reconsider borrowing some gear. ... It's possible but unlikely that you won't like it but also possible you will be dissatisfied with basic equipment if you do enjoy and start to take it seriously. Just a thought before you start splashing out as it happened to me and other half.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SportsDirect can be another good source of basic clothing. I picked up some reasonably priced gloves and thermals from them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy