Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stolen hire skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, the out in less arcs at present and my girlfriends hire skis have been stolen. Luckily she took the insurance but apparently she still has to pay 85 euros for the stolen skis plus retiring costs?!. Does this sound right? I almost gives the skiing hire shop the right to print money?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
steven0123, ask if you can have a really good look through the rack - hire skis aren't desirable targets for thieves, more likely been taken by mistake and they may turn up or, even, may have already turned up but the shop is being cute.

You need to see the wording of that insurance. Presumably you scribbled a signature on something? If not, tell 'em to poke it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems a bit odd to me - I would think amount due = 0
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's normally an excess but what are retirement costs? Take a look at the T&C's.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Darn predicted text... Re-hire wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
as Bode Swiller, says it is unlikely that they've been stolen and more likely that someone has taken them by mistake.

Unfortunately this won't really help you as you've already reported them stolen to the shop.

Tonight whereever they last were there will more than likely be a "spare pair" of hire skis which the shop/restaurant owner or pisteurs will scoop up and return to them to the shop.

Then when the person whose skis they are returns your girlfriends that shop will reunite the skis to your shop, but this could take quite a while.

Unfortunately I doubt very much whether your shop will then credit you with the charges that they've already made and you'll be out of resort so have no way of checking.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We always swap one of our planks and put them on different racks. So far so good...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good idea harrim... Have also just realised that some other cheeky swine has pinched our spirits which we'd left chilling on the balcony... Seems les arcs is a crime hot spot! I Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
steven0123, Sad oh, booger. Cant believe some low life nicked stuff off your balcony. What a rough day!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm. The spirits have been located... A practical joke that we fell for, and hook line and sinker... The girlfriend who's skis were stolen did it... Hmmm, karma?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They even put footprints on the balcony... Razz
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Update on the replacement of the skis, she doesn't have to pay for the re-hire and she can pay the insurance excess at the end of the week if the skis don't appear... Not so bad after all...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
steven0123, well, that's at least some better news. Wherebaouts were you when they 'disappeared? Hopefully somewhere she could get home from without too long a trudge? bugs up at least two people's skiing time tho' trying to sort out those kind of things.

Still, at least your spirits / spirit's intact, (and as as per your text, wine arrived) try to enjoy the evening...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wasn't actually with her at the time.. She'd just been to swap the skis over in 2000 and went for a hot chocolate, within the hour from hiring, they'd been swiped... Have to locate the police station later in 1600..
We checked the racks later on but no skis were left....

On a brighter note, the skies look relatively clear and the slopes as good as yesterday! Hopefully get a dusting of fresh snow tonight wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Similar situation at Christmas, my boyfriends hire snowbaord was stolen - he had taken out full insurance but the hire shop (Ski Set Heni Sports in Les Bergers ADH) said he had to pay 165 euros anyway.

Which was absolutely ridiculous as there was NO mention of any kind of excess in the T&Cs he signed.

The rep went down and harassed the hire shop in French and after getting a police report they capitulated and didn’t try and charge him anything.

If you have paid for insurance and there is no mention of an excess in the T&C then basically tell the hire shop where to go, it’s an absolute scam.
latest report
It has not been unknown for hire shops to repatriate their own gear if they find it unattended at the end of the day. wink On top of this, the excess is a clear scam - you'd be hard pushed to find a hire board that would cost more than Euro 165 at wholesale prices.
ski holidays
The whole thing is a complete scam.

Many shops have a sign up stating you have to refund the "retail cost" if a pair of skis are not returned. Certainly under English law you would only be liable for the actual loss incurred to the shop; so at worst replacement cost - i.e. wholesale price, and at best this would be depreciated replacement cost - allowing for the skis' being second hand.

The moment you are abroad, however... T&Cs often mention not excess, but that a hire agreement is terminated when skis are stolen - i.e. you have to hire some new skis.
snow report
Might just be another argument for buying your own...

snowHead
snow report
I use a ski lock, there's various ones on eBay, something like this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lifeventure-ski-lock-/170768667982?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Skiing_Accessories&hash=item27c29b154e#ht_500wt_922

For me just gives me a bit of piece of mind, and only takes 30 seconds when we stop for lunch etc. Definitely would not be hard to break, but to be honest I think 95% of missing skis are either picked up by accident (which this stops), or opportunistic, with someone grabbing them quickly and skiing/running off, so it does the job.
ski holidays
YEAH, if I get my skis stolen now after 11 years of use I will have to buy another pair just like I had to when my boots were stolen after 10 years of use.

However, it would have been a bit of a bug ger if they were stolen half an hour after buying them though.

Maybe the lesson is do not ski in Les Arcs?

rolling eyes
latest report
Worth a mention for Skiset here, as paid for the insurance, then skis stolen, no fuss no hidden costs, just a police report. New hire skis provided end of.
snow conditions
If we aren't sitting in sight of them we always swap ours into mis-matching pairs... the insurance has always seemed a bit of a rip-off to me - and we make it obvious they don't match by putting an adult one with a kids one.
snow conditions
skimom wrote:
If we aren't sitting in sight of them we always swap ours into mis-matching pairs... the insurance has always seemed a bit of a rip-off to me - and we make it obvious they don't match by putting an adult one with a kids one.

I try to make it not too obvious they don't match. If it's that obvious, then the other non-matching pair will likely be spottable too.
snow report
SkiG, do you just lock them together or to something? Doesnt look like there'd be many things you could lock them to as the lock's so small?
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, size isn't everything. NehNeh

I've a similar lock and you can pull out the wire to about eighteen inches or so - just enough to loop through my (snowboard) bindings and round the rack. When you've unlocked press the button on the side and the wire fully retracts leaving you with a 1 x 1 1/2" 'pebble' shaped lock to pocket. I like mine, even if it's just a token to stop the casual walk away type thief.
ski holidays
rogg wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, size isn't everything. NehNeh

I've a similar lock and you can pull out the wire to about eighteen inches or so - just enough to loop through my (snowboard) bindings and round the rack. When you've unlocked press the button on the side and the wire fully retracts leaving you with a 1 x 1 1/2" 'pebble' shaped lock to pocket. I like mine, even if it's just a token to stop the casual walk away type thief.

This is exactly what I do, long enough to do one of the other halfs skis as well as mine, and never really had any issue finding somewhere I can lock to. The cable has a nice small end as well so passes through binding easily.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy