Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you wear when it's really really cold?

Poster: A snowHead
Neutrogena cream for hands and feet!
Great little secret and cheap and portable..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never enough Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm worried!, having skiied since 1983 but with big gaps in between, Germany (whilst in army), Kitzbuhel, Andorra, Borovets, la Rosiere (last year), I have no idea what the temperature was at any time but have only ever worn a tee shirt under an budget ski jacket. Apart from the first ride up I don't ever remember feeling cold. And now I'm off to Ellmau on Saturday, I've noticed the forecasted temperatures are quite low but no idea how this compares to previous ski experiences! Is this year colder; do I need to reveiw my base layer/thermals/mid layers etc (as opposed to tee shirt)- I still have budget ski jacket and pants.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I think i must really feel the cold. In Niseko there was no point me going fast - in a schuss the cold air hitting my face made me feel dizzy and physically sick

But beanie1, you were definitely overlayered as Serriadh says. Whether or not you could move, I find it very unlikely that 6 layers on top is better than 4 well chosen ones. Then get some Swany mitts or pretty much any decent Hestras, and definitely consider bootwarmers and handwarmers but certainly ensure your boots are warm and dry in the AM. I see you're a BASI type, but really that doesn't mean that what you've always done is what is best for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

do I need to reveiw my base layer/thermals/mid layers etc (as opposed to tee shirt)- I still have budget ski jacket and pants.

yes, I'd say so, especially if your T shirts are cotton.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
awf, they're very thin layers though. I'm sure I can get better quality ones to improve on the warmth, but honestly if you looked at a photo you would never think i had 6 layers on!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's minus 13 here at the moment and I'm off on a moonlight skitour tomorrow night where we are expecting around minus 20. Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gra wrote:
Quote:

Urban myth !

really? http://www.healthline.com/health-blogs/fitness-fixer/do-you-lose-most-your-heat-through-your-head
according to that publication, around 30-35% at rest at 0 deg C, more at lower temps, and less when you are exercising. So, fair to say "up to 30%..."

but whatever the % is, fact is when in the real cold you feel significantly warmer with decent headwear

The myth is that we loose most of our heat via our head and, IIRC, comes from a badly "reported" old NASA experiment/test on humans but with the rest of their body insulated (hence logically most of the heat went out through the head..

Whatever the percentages are, it just makes sense to cover as much of your body as you reasonably/practically can when it's very cold.

2 years ago I found that one of the (cheap from Aldi) "Buff" like neck warmer puller over my skull and partially covered my cheeks (with helmet on top) was very good method of keep my head warm..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When it's that cold the best plan is to stay inside and drink hot chocolate. Skiing is supposed to be fun. Skiing in conditions that cold is just proving a point.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
When it's that cold the best plan is to stay inside and drink hot chocolate. Skiing is supposed to be fun. Skiing in conditions that cold is just proving a point.

...... or two.

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/hardNipples.jpg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, maybe, but staying inside would mean missing out on the amazing Niseko snow! Two or three runs then coffee to defrost was pretty much the plan...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aftershave
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, A thinsulate silk balaclava worn under a helmet is useful - they're hard to find and take up no more room than a hankie but they are really warm, especially when it's windy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangledupinblue, The temperatures now and forecast aren't that low, but they are low relative tot he normal temperatures we suffer when skiing in Europe which tends to hover +/-5 degrees C, so -20C and -30C are likley to be quite a shock for you. Take a survival blanket with you too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weather protection cream ....
http://www.weleda.co.uk/calendula-products/calendula-weather-protection-cream-30ml/invt/105007/

It warmed up from -14 to -7 Deg C today.
snow report
beanie1, http://www.primrose.co.uk/warmawear-heated-ski-gloves-p-35730.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=marketing&utm_campaign=googlebase

http://www.exo2.co.uk/snowstorm-heated-ski-outdoor-gloves-mens-sizing-p-15.html

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_Barts_Silk_Glove_Liners_2012__black.html
ski holidays
My silk glove liners were a fiver out Decathlon so worth a look if you've got one nearby.
snow report
Jivebaby, Brrrrrr, yes a bit more research and the historical average temperatures do seem to be in the +/- 5deg C region, I have never felt cold before but with with the current temperatures forcasted it might be little different this year, so off to buy some warm stuff; thank you for the advice
ski holidays
Just bought my extra warm stuff, including a balaclava. BRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
ski holidays
Don't forget to eat well. Your body can't keep warm without plenty of fuel.
snow conditions
Quote:

if you looked at a photo you would never think i had 6 layers on!

if you looked at a photo of me would probably think I had 6 layers on even when only wearing a couple!!

I have a neck warmer thingie with half silk and half fleece and when its cold, like right now, I pull the silk part over my head under my helmet so my face is partially covered and that really helps. As far as gloves go, and I have about five pairs now for the experiment to try and keep my hands warm, the Hestra ones we both bought last year which are mittens but with separated fingers inside have been good. I was wearing them with silk inner gloves, or even slightly thicker than silk, but have now abandoned all inner gloves and just stick one of the heated tea bags jobbies inside each gloves as I leave the chalet. My hands have never been warmer as I have room to move them around inside the mitts when on the lifts,and the gloves are not too cumbersome to be able to handle poles etc. The bags stay warm for hours and hours and I just leave them in when we get home and they help to do any drying out necessary.

Thermals - the icebreaker merino wool tops and bottoms in different weights from S&R.
snow report
I've just treated myself to one of these down jackets. Well it's in the post hopefully, they promised to get it to me for tomorrow, in time for Arabba on Saturday. Down seems to be the best way of keeping warm when it's really really cold, and I suffer quite badly from the cold. It's a good price - hope it does the job.
latest report
RachelQ, You'll be warm enough in that. We've got a couple and they're well built and really warm. Too much for me to ski in but at -20 it might be the way to go
snow conditions
Well, I won't be wearing the lovely warm down jacket I ordered. Sad Even though it was promised for delivery today in time for my holiday tomorrow it's still in their warehouse. So I've cancelled the order. If anyone sees me on the slopes of Arabba frozen like a statue, I might need a big warm hug!
snow report
RachelQ, it might be a bit long for you but you're more than welcome to borrow mine Very Happy
latest report
RachelQ, If you have a Go Outdoors near you one of these might fit the bill:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-photon-jacket-womens-p194823

Primaloft is wonderful stuff and this would allow you a bit of badge snobbery as well.
snow report
I have become a master of coping with cold and for me its the little tweaks that count as well as layering/face protection

liners under mitts
where poss wrist gaiters in jackets or end of sleeves
tucking in thermal underwear and tops
always doing up powder skirt
under helmet balaclava in addtion to mask
snow conditions
Quote:

have now abandoned all inner gloves and just stick one of the heated tea bags jobbies inside each gloves as I leave the chalet. My hands have never been warmer as I have room to move them around inside the mitts when on the lifts,and the gloves are not too cumbersome to be able to handle poles etc. The bags stay warm for hours and hours and I just leave them in when we get home and they help to do any drying out necessary.

Yes, works for me too. They have the great advantage that if you take your gloves off, to fiddle with something, your hands soon warm up when you put them back in. going up a cold chairlift they make you feel like those old hot chocolate adverts with a warm red glow about your person.

They vary - some are much better than others. Worth getting a specific recommendation. Anyone with painfully cold hands should use them all the time (I have a friend with Reynauds who has been persuaded to use them even when it's not very cold).

As important as all the above is choosing where to ski - avoiding the higher bleaker areas wherever possible.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs Phorn, that's kind, but it would come down to my knees! I'm only a bit taller than a pixie. Laughing
DJL, thank you, I love the RAB stuff, but I've run out of time now. Maybe I'll find a ski shop on my wanders round Venice tomorrow pm. And someone very rich! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
RachelQ wrote:
Mrs Phorn, that's kind, but it would come down to my knees!

You say that like it's a bad thing? wink

Have a fantastic time anyway - if it's going to be that cold, at least you'll have an excuse for lots of hot chocolate stops with "interesting" additions Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

You say that like it's a bad thing?

those things the ski instructors wear in bad weather come down to their knees.
snow conditions
-30C
feet: normal ski socks, Intuition liners, Thermic-boot warmers
legs: merino-silk capri length, merino full length, angora full length, fleece capri length, lightly insulated ski trousers
upper body: merino, thick fleece/wool sweater, down jacket
hands: Hestra mittens with wool liners
head: merino Buff, Fleece Buff, helmet, goggles

I hate covering my face so I only do that if I absolutely have to. With -32 last weekend I was fine without my neoprene mask, I did occasionally pull a Buff to cover my face.
latest report
Trespass have some good deals on merino undies in their sale if you have one nearby.I paid £32 top & £23 bottom today. Full set for what you'd normally pay for just a top. snowHead
snow conditions
I got a new pair pair of gloves this year, Black Diamond Mercury Mitts, which are really, really warm. I find it's my hands and feet that get the coldest and if they are cold I will never feel warm. Previously I've been wearing up to 6 layers as well and I've got to agree with everyone that this doesn't really work. It was -26C on Friday in the 3Vs and I had 2 merino tops, fleece and GTX jacket, Skins leggings, Patagonia capilene 4 longjohns and GTX salopettes. I was fine with my BD mitts, the only bit of me that was cold was my feet and I'm beginning to think I may need boot heaters. The BD Mercury Mitts are really, really warm, my hands were actually sweating some days but the inners also dry out amazingly quickly so my hands were never cold, as soon as I cooled down a little the inners were dry, I really can't recommend these enough if you get cold hands.
snow report
achilles wrote:
When it's that cold the best plan is to stay inside and drink hot chocolate.

Yeah you do that while I get those fresh tracks. Seriously I don't worry about how cold it is outside until it gets below -20C and then it's just a matter of wearing the right kit for the conditions, although I find it hard to keep my feet and hands warm below -30C for any length of time. Matey above in his T-shirt and budget jacket is definitely going to be a hospital case out for any length of time at -20C or below.
snow report
Beanie1, I was in Nthere 6 years ago and was wearing :

Base layer 1 and 2 tops : Merino 200/260
Base layer bottom : n/a
Mid layer tops : fleece X2 (one french army issue, the other one TNF Denali)
Mid layer bottom : fleece, Lowe Alpine
Shell top : french army issue goretex jacket
Shell bottom : TNF bibs

... and it was fine.

Now, I would attempt to swap the Denali for a raptor or couloir (haglofs). I am aware fo the mega faux-pas soft+hard shell but I still belive when you ski with temp well below -15, the hard shell does a good job in keeping the warmth in. You can alwayd dump it in the bag once you have warmed up after 2/3 slopes.

The last thing is : sleep well, eat well and drink (water) well. Make sure you keep your body fueled/re-fueled, during and after the ski and you will see massive improvements in cold resistance. If you are on the sauce all night long, I can guarantee you some freezing on the piste two days after max.
latest report
volklwaffen wrote:
I am aware fo the mega faux-pas soft+hard shell but I still belive when you ski with temp well below -15, the hard shell does a good job in keeping the warmth in.

Yes I'd agree with this. I did a ski tour last Saturday and it was minus 20. Normally I don't like wearing a hard shell when touring (unless it's very windy) as non-waterproof layers tend to be more breathable than a high tech plastic bag. Problem was the outer surface of my fleece froze, so I changed the outer fleece for an eVent hardshell and it was much more comfortable.
snow report
I wear a Trekmates "bamboo" baselayer under my jacket, sallopettes, helmet, gloves, goggles and a buff for lower face... Keeps me warm in very cold temps, in hot temps just loose the buff and unzip the jacket.

Then again, I don't feel the cold and usually suffer from over-heating rather than cold
snow report
Seeing the forecasts for the early part of the week I bought a Rab microlight down jacket - Superb.

Wore it over a merino base layer anf under a hard shell and was never cold. -15 in the villager so I guess -20 or lower up top.

Half price in Cotswold online sale but lime green. I copped a lot of abuse but stayed warm.

Pacvks into a 2 litre drybag so I carry it as a spare layer now its warmed up a bit
latest report
"I wear 6 layers on the top (skins, thermals.... 3 on the legs (skins, thermals, salopettes)".

I think I might know why you are feeling so cold.

If you are talking about the actual brand Skins, do NOT wear them as the base layer or they will make you feel much colder. I don't know why that is, but they are absolute rubbish as a base layer in my experience - they make me feel freezing cold. I'm talking about the original Skins from a few years back, not the newer ones marketed specifically for snowsports (which I haven't tried).

I use cheapo M&S merino/synthetic leggings, then put the Skins compression leggings over the top of those, then Forcefield Action Shorts and Schöffel ski trousers. It makes a HUGE difference to the warmth factor not using the Skins as the base layer. I do the same on top - a very thin John Smedley merino wool polo neck as the base layer, then the Skins compression top, a cheapo M&S merino/synthetic t-shirt, a lightweight North Face fleece, then my insulated Schöffel ski jacket with a Musto fleece neck warmer that can be tightened to keep all the wind out.

Something else that also makes a huge difference for people who feel the cold is keeping the waist area warm, where your vital organs are located. If that area gets cold, you will feel cold all over. I use a Forcefield level 2 lumbar protector, which is very comfortable and keeps that area really warm.

That lot kept me warm down to -20 C in Meribel a couple of weeks ago and I am a lightweight who really feels the cold. I even had the underarm zips on my jacket unzipped much of the time, except when it was -20 C.

I also use a helmet with no vents.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy