Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for skiing in Kaprun and Zell am Zee please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, husband has just booked us a week in Kaprun - we will ski there and in Zell am Zee but was wondering if any snowheads had any tips for best slopes, are there any cheesy apres bars and how easy is it to get transport (bus) to other places, have picked up that a day in Saalbach might be possible, though not sure if we need a different lift pass for that?

cheers!!!! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having only stayed in Kaprun in summer, I'm guessing the Baum Bar at edge of town and foot of slopes is the place to be. Saalbach is around 30-40 mins away but pretty sure you'd need a separate pass for that. Zell experts will be along soon to shoot me down in flames Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great though Saalbach is, it is going to be an hour by bus from Kaprun - and you'll need an extra pass unless you buy the upgrade when you buy your pass for Kaprun-Zell. Personally, I'd stick to Kaprun and Zell and leave Saalbach for next time. Likewise, you could get to Maria Alm, but on the bus it would be a difficult journey via Zell and Saalfelden. With a car, both would be very easily accessible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the feedback guys - we havent been to Kaprun/Zell before so hopefully will be plenty to keep us occupied for the week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Zell last year with my girlfriend and we thought the skiing was best on the Sonnenalm end of the resort. Gorgeous wide red runs with the sun on them most of the day (hence the name). We also really enjoyed the red run leading down off the Kitzsteinhorn (really exhilarating). There is the option of going to Saalbach and a group of guys at our hotel actually made that trip pretty much every day. According to them it was the best skiing ever - they really enjoyed the high-mileage stuff though.

There are a couple of cheesy apres bars but they are expensive and the service is variable at best. There are two near the foot of the Areitbahn - one a Porsche designed circular bar with a retractable roof (typical Austrian apres music and a nice location with prices to match but busy and generally slow service). Further up the road is an even louder chalet style bar but we didn't spend too long in there (the noise was unbelievable - must be getting old). We did go to a small locals' bar in Schuttdorf (not the most salubrious locations and very dated) and got the most friendly welcome, nice drinks and non-inflated prices but we only went there because it was near our hotel.

In Zell itself there is an Irish bar run by a lovely Irish couple which, last year at least, was the only non-smoking bar in the whole area (they lieb the rauchen in Austria). Again lovely clean bar, great drinks, welcoming owners - we'd definitely go back (stinking of smoke isn't our thing). Sorry I can't remember any names but it was pretty near all the fancy hotels in Zell. I recommend you try the Frangelico when you're in Austria, if you haven't already.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 27-01-12 16:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zell is great hans scnapps bar at the very top is a great laugh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The easiest skiing in Zell is up the top of the mountain (Schmittenhöhe), on the Areitbahn side or on the Sonnenalm, as thewahwah mentioned. The lower runs back down into the valley tend to be a bit steeper.

The basic ticket just covers Zell and Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn. If you want to ski Saalbach as well, you would need e.g. the Salzburg Super Ski Card. For 6 days the local pass costs €209, the Salzburg Super Ski Card €224 (at standard high season prices).

Should be plenty to keep you happy for a week - enjoy it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kaprun, has some great freeride terain to the right of the piste map at the bottom of the glacier (routes X1- X5) Route West side story Pipeline Geoffnet and Jump run etc - superb powder runs when the snow is good but you just see it and ski it, so many routes down. I was very impressed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
purplegirl, here's some old threads from a forum search, they will give you a fairly wide picture of everything. We are off to Zell for about the 20th time next Saturday, when are you going?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1583686&highlight=zell#1583686

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1184580&highlight=zell#1184580

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47987

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=277704&highlight=zell#277704
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for hans schnapps bar, then ski down to areitbahn to catch last bus to kaprun
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would think that as you only have a week, Zell am See and Kaprun will be enough to keep you busy. I would not bother with wasting time travelling around.

There are lots of great bars in Zell am See, and as already pointed out, Hans Schnapps is a must. Just make sure you do not miss the last gondola, which leaves from Hans Scnapps, as it is a long ski with a couple of drinks under the belt.

In the village, there is also the Crazy Daisy which is fun, and has decent food.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stayed in Zell a few years back. A breeze on the bus to get to Saalbach for the day (bout 40 mins) and even managed to get a train over to Kitzbuehel (had to sell that fairly hard to the other 2 in the party who accompanied me there but well worth it - the train is cheap and it's a really nice journey). Even got the train over to Leogang on the final day and boarded into Saalbach then as well (not sure I'd recommend that though without prebooking a taxi as the station's a fair distance from the slopes - got lucky with a hotel minibus very kindly offering us a lift). Had planned to visit the Hochkonig resorts but didn't get around to it.

Note that you need the Salzburger area pass to include resorts outside Zell and Kaprun but (at least when I was there) it amounted to only another 10 euros. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey thanks for the range of replies - lots of great info to consider - I ski and am strictly on piste !! Hans Scnapps sounds fun but oh dear wouldnt trust myself to ski after a couple of drinks - yeh I know lightweight girl wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In that case take the gondola down, and then the ski bus! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy