Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere - tips for a non-skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm taking my family for my 4th and our second ski trip to La Rosiere in the first week of April. Fingers crossed for the snow for myself and the kids, but my wife didn't take to skiing when we went to La Clusaz a couple of years ago (despite saying that the instructor was superb). She has decided therefore not to ski (but might give XC a go). I've got a private lesson booked for the rest of us for each of the first four days and we'll probably ski much of the afternoon as well wether permitting so I'm looking for ideas to keep my wife entertained.

Anybody been and know of any good places to visit?

Thanks in advance

Kevin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, La Rosiere is not the largest place in the world, and it's also at the very end of the valley, 20 minutes from the nearest town. But there are things to do.

The village is has 2 main areas and there is a quiet walk through the woods from one end to the other. There is bowling and an ice rink at one end and shops at the other.

If you are staying at the Planica with Ski Olympic, there is a nice pool and 'wellness' area.

Otherwise, take the bus/blag a lift with the reps down to Bourg, where the town is much larger.

In reality, I'd get Mrs Kevin into ski school - e.g. with Simon from ESF - then she can join you on easy day trips to La Thuile in Italy and generally enjoy the mountain. For beginners/timid intermediates La Rosiere is a very good resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IME experience anybody who doesn't really enjoy their first week skiing in the mountains i.e., doesn't "get the bug" never really does, and shouldn't force themselves. A bit like me and watersports. So I think your wife is doing the right thing. The good new is you now have your own personal chalet maid wink

I haven't been La Ros yet but have looked at it a few times. Doesn't strike me as the ideal place for a non-skier but... do you have a car? What sort of stuff does your wife like doing. Snowshoeing, low level hiking is an option aswell XC if she likes that sort of stuff. Or is she is a spa/massage sort of person, or a shopping sort of person? Or all of the above?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're staying in a chalet near the village centre. I understand that the nursery lifts are free so I did wonder about trying to persuade her to hire skis and take a private lesson or two once in resort. She's already kitted out from the last holiday so the risk is minimal in terms of money. She'll read quite happily too for a good chunk of the day. One thing that worries me is meeting for lunch. If we decided to eat higher up the mountain are there any lifts she could use as a non-skier to meet us? It looks as though there are mostly chairlifts and I don't know if she could use them (at all, or economically on a pay per lift basis).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ViscountFishpond, Meeting up the hill is not really an option and there are some decent places in town to eat. A nice sunny lunch on the terrace at McKinleys or have a walk along to Les Eucherts and meet in one of the slopeside gaffs there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne - I'd disagree with that. I had a dreadful first week skiing. Had borrowed kit including badly fitting boots (being a poor student at this point), resort lacking snow, lesson was entirely in french so I didn't pick up a few basic things like weight transfer. On the first day someone skiied into me and I fell back on to their skis which resulted in me spending the week with a very bruised back. I was determined to master skiing and went for a second week skiing a couple of years later. Thoroughly enjoyed the second week and have loved skiing ever since.

Viscount - I would encourage your wife to try lessons again - bribe her with a spa trip on her return or something! There is next to nothing to do in La Rosiere during the day other than ski/sit in a cafe. (might be snow shoeing, small cross country - can't remember). There are lots of gentle slopes, good ski schools and it is a good confidence building resort.
The accommodation we stayed in (Cimes Blanches) had a lovely spa and pool but suspect the pool wasn't open until the afternoon, post skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I understand that the nursery lifts are free so I did wonder about trying to persuade her to hire skis and take a private lesson or two once in resort.

Personally, I would leave that decsion to her. I have a mate that I have skied with for a long time. His missus went on a couple of trips with him at the beginning but just wasn't bothered with it and stopped going. She started going again when they had kids and skied a bit, partly out of necessity. But generally goes and doesn't ski now they are a bit older. She is a perfectly decent skier. She's just happy to leave rather than take it. She doesn't do a great deal off the slopes from what I can make out.. just enjoys the peace and quiet Smile She also reads books.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the weather is good then La Rosiere is a great place to be as a non skier. A bit of reading, walking, and taking in the wonderful views. The town is compact and nice but if the weather is bad it would be rubbish!.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the info. Guess we'll play it by ear and make sure we take books. I can think of worse ways of spending a week.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If mrs Fishpond had a good instructor, and still didn't take to skiing, it's maybe not for her. A week relaxing and reading is hard to beat (if you like reading). In good weather, some walking would make a nice change - and if she rents some snowshoes and maybe does some good paced uphill snowshoeing she'd get a good workout too. Depending on why she didn't like downhill skiing she might not like XC either - it's harder work both aerobically and technically.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Pam. Blind terror was what put her off downhill. She quite fancies a go at XC. I wouldn'y mind trying it myself, but not enough to give up one of only 6 skiing days in a year wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ViscountFishpond, The nursery lifts at Font de Neige and Les Eucherts are free but they are somewhat retricted, there are guided walks and it is possible to use both the Roche Noirre and Les Eucherts chair lifts as walkers, so lunch at the Travasette is possible and there are a few XC trails. The Tourist Office has a weekly activity guide which is very useful.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Blind terror was what put her off downhill. She quite fancies a go at XC

A private lesson with a nice instructor would probably be fun, and will start with "alternative step" gliding on the flat. I am as competent as the average Brit holiday skier in downhill but I found even the most gentle incline on XC skis horrendous - am going to have some lessons next week, to try to improve. I fell a lot learning XC - and despite two weeks lessons never felt remotely safe on downhill areas outside the tracks (the tracks disappear when it's a bit steeper), though I enjoyed learning the technique for going uphill, and on the level. Very good exercise.

Some places have flat XC circuits which are probably good for starting, though would soon get v boring. I think my problem was that though les Saisies is a gentle downhill resort itx XC area isn't easy by any means. It even has black slopes!! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy