Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reverse slope (downhill) draglifts on a board, how?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello.

After ending my day's boarding by climbing the last couple of hundred (steep) metres of my local mountain in order to regain the other side and get back to my car (I'm referring to the Mont Dore - SuperBesse liason on the Massif du Sancy for those who know it), I'd like to ask a question of the collected minds of Snowheads.

How on earth do you cope with a reverse slope draglift (i.e. one that runs downhill for a bit) on a snowboard?

Or should I invest in a pair of snowshoes? Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve(Correze), oh you have my sympathies - been there too!

Those bits can be tricky - but normal rules on drag lifts apply - stay relaxed, weight on front foot, don't try and edge or steer - just go with the drag even if you're wandering around a bit - and wait for the drag to kick in and give you a yank in the right direction.

How do you find sliding with one foot out of bindings? Maybe a bit of practice when not on drag would help?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 different approaches:

1. If you're confident riding with one foot out, then just pop the board round 90° and side-slip to brake (I sometimes do this for a bit on really long drag lifts as it's actually a more comfortable position!)

2. If it's a solid-pole type lift, then leaning hard into the pole can help to stop you moving past it.

3. If it's a short downslope, just go with the flow, ride ahead of the drag's attachment to the cable, then come to a stop on the flat and wait for it to overtake you again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easy, take the drag lift with both feet in your bindings, I ride all drag lifts like that makes everything so much easier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevomcd wrote:
just go with the flow

Same as going uphill. Just relax and let it pull you. It might help to lean back a bit and extend the front leg a bit more. If you stay balanced the board can only get so far in front of you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a fairly long down slope and a narrow piste too, long enough for me to overtake the drag, in fact letting go of the drag and then recovering it when it catches me up on the flat might be an option...

I'm not great on one foot, not bad but not great. I can generally recover from a poor departure on a draglift, but practising more on one foot sounds like a plan.

I did think of trying a sideslip, will definitely give it a go next time the lift is open. I only made two attempts at the lift last week, one one-footed and the second with both feet in. The first time I overtook the lift and was pulled onto my back foot by the pole (which I was holding behind me by that point), the second I fell off the side of the piste. Gave up after that as the climb up the mountain started to look preferable to walking back down the lift track and having another go.

Not having a stomp pad on my board probably didn't help either, that at least is easily rectified.

The drag in question can be seen here:
http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-1768.html

I'll be giving it another go at the weekend, if it's open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy