Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap trip in March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm looking for a cheap trip anywhere in March, probably towards the end leaving ideally 24/25th.

I went to Solden this time last year and it was fantastic but looking to keep the budget down a bit this time.

The obvious options are Andora and Bulgaria - but am I missing any others?

Does anyone have experience of heading anywhere cheapish at this time of year and can recommend it for decent snow?

I'm an able skier and my girlfriend is about an intermediate.

Arinsal? Borovets? Bansko? Sauze?

The main concern is decent snow at cheap price - I don't ask for much! Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much do you define as cheap?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mrfish, welcome to snowHead s
What is your budget?
Do you want a package trip or are you looking to go independent.
Given that the week in question is not a peak week, you might want to try a "late availability" waiting to see where the good snow is before deciding.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
look at snowtrex some mega cheap options on there
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Budget wise under £1,000 ideally. Yeah was thinking of leaving it late but also quite want to get something sorted.

I was wondering about whether an "all-in" deal or piecing bits together yourself works out cheaper.

There's all in packs for Sauze from around £950. If I was booking everything individually to say Bansko, would it work out cheaper? I've had a look myself and the transfers seem the hardest thing to sort, and add about £100 to the cost for two return.

Would people recommend an all in or splitting and booking individual bits myself?

Cheers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You don't need to be looking at crappy bulgaria and places for < £1k pp!

Check out the TO website - pleanty of catered chalet deals going for £500 to £600 including flights and transfers to decent resorts e.g. Val T. Plus £200 for liftpass leaves you with £200 spends for lunches and the chalet night off. Simples.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh I've just realised you meant £500 each so £1k in total not pp. Ok I've never had a ski trip that cheap so I'll bow out of this one!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes £1,000 total.

What's wrong with Bulgaria?

What are people's experience of Andora?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just sorted a trip for two people from 18-25 March staying in a 3 bed studio cabine right in the centre of in Val d'Isere, including ski passes, flights, ski carriage, and transfers for around £550 pp - no reason why Tignes wouldn't be bit cheaper still. Those weeks Val D'Isere is doing discounted ski passes as it is low season (no school holidays!) - Tignes may be doing the same - book via tourist office websites to get the accommodations and ski pass options.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
igluski is showing a week in Montgenevre in the ski from the door Hammeau apts from Manchester 23rd March at £206 at present
now that must be a bargain
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scampi Dellahanti, End of March - low season in Val d'Isere? I thought low season was end of April.
My experience of Borovets is that the snow would be very poor at that time of the year. I suspect Bansko will be no better.
The real killer to your budget is the lift pass, so you need somewhere high, north facing yet quite small. A tricky combination. Les Menuires (limit area pass) or st Foy might be good choices. Just for comarison a 7 day Les Arcs lift pass will cost you 250 euro each, about half your budget, where as St Foy would be 150 and restricting to Vallandry alone would be 170.
The Austrian experts here may be able to come up with better deals.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

What's wrong with Bulgaria?

From other threads on here, Bulgaria reportadly has poor snow cover, poor grooming, long lift queues and dodgy toilets Happy But I've never actually been bthats ust based on what other people have said.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE, 'low season' because there are no school hols - to be fair, it is probably mid-season, but I'm not complaining as we get cheap accommodation and ski pass deals, plus there's no kids on the slopes and clogging up the buses Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the suggestions. Got a few friends in Bulgaria at the moment so will see what they say when they get back. I'm not bothered if the toilets are shitty, I can get over that, even basic accomodation - I don't need anything flash.

What about Andora? Arinsal? Pas? Are these better than Bulgaria as an option?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went to Borovets,Bulgaria(Family) and Pas,Andorra(lads) last year.I'm only a low intermidiate so both places were ok for me.
Bulgaria was just under £1000 for family of 4 inc,flight,transfer,4* hotel(rila) halfboard (4 nights),Ski hire + instructor +passes (3 days) ,Pas was £500+ just for me...But Pas/soldeu is a much larger ski area.
By the way Borovets has had the best snow fall in 10 years this season but who knows by march??

If you do fancy Bulgaria lots of info here
http://www.bulgariaski.com/

check the webcams here
http://www.borovets-bg.com/en

nyck
ski holidays
Quote:

What about Andora? Arinsal? Pas? Are these better than Bulgaria as an option?

I've been to Arinsal twice and had a ball there. First time I went package deal / half board and was perfect. Think it was called Hotel Arinsal...food basic but totally fine. Good location right in center of village. Second time we went ourselves...flew dublin->barcelona and picked up a car...nice drive up. We were on mega low budget 'cos second trip of season - there is excellent hypermarket just after you cross border into Andorra so stocked up on everything we needed for the week there (if you go this option don't wait til you get to the resort). Hypermarket was super cheap for all groceries, alcohol, toiletries etc. Had pretty basic apartment in Arinsal for the week, less than 10 min walk from Gondola - we took turns doing dinner every eve so no one had to cook more than once....we were even scrooge enough to bring our own lunch up the mountain each day to save cash. Its a pretty enough village but don't expect snow down in village - gotta take Gondola up. I've been there as late as end of March/beginning of April and good snow. Also a sunny resort Smile This is a really good value for money resort - few really good restaurants and bars to keep you going. Will prob be quiet end of March there. If you want anymore info just let me know Smile
snow report
If you need to book in advance, then somewhere with a decent snow record and reasonable range of skiing is La Rosiere, which links with La Thuile. More reasonably priced than the mega ski circuits. Even in this cold and snowy winter (so far) booking late March for places like Andorra and Bulgaria is risky. Personally, with just two people, I'd wait until no more than 3 days before departure and book the best deal I could afford then. As long as you're flexible on departure airport there'll be plenty of availability for the week you mention. By booking just 2 days ahead last year I got a single room in a luxury Val D'Isere chalet, food included, with well timed local airport flights, for under £400 (ski pass extra though). I'm not convinced generally that apartments work out cheaper overall than a late booking all-in deal.
snow report
intermediate, Really? Le Ros is predominantly south facing so can suffer from thaws, and icy patches if there's a long-ish period without snow. I do like the area though (prefer La Thuille side) it's just not somewhere I'd rush late March or early April unless as you say you can hang on.
latest report
http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/france/valfrejus/chalets_de_florence_[value_price]/accommodation.html
This looks cheap and lots more on the site even cheaper, not sure what it will be like but going to try it for a lads holiday next year, usually get down to 87 pp the week before departure
ski holidays
Sorry to hijack your post! Myself and the wife are looking at similar budget for the 3rd March week. Love Austria due to the apres but are a little concerned at the altitude of many of the cheaper resorts. We also have the problem this year of needing to fly from Ireland (North or South). We have always booked very last minute from London and always got really really good deals (mainly 4 star catered chalets). We know that we are not going to get as good deals from Ireland but can anyone help with how last minute we should go from over here? Should we book something now or wait? Anyone got any good websites for last min Irish deals??
snow report
Peter Griffin, Igluski had loads of cheap deals from Belfast for that week when I looked earlier today
ski holidays
I'm really struggling to find cheap deals flying from the south west in early March! Seems that Neilson Ski have withdrawn package hols from Bristol and Exeter so little competition to Thomson and its subsidiaries. Last few years we have booked late (ish) for early March and not paid more than £270 for flights, transfer and 7 nights B&B in Austria and Italy. This year seems £320 is the going rate for same places and same time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy