Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wearing Ski boots on Ryanair

Poster: A snowHead
Basically, check-in and security people are a law unto themselves. If you object they just prevent you from getting on the plane. Right or wrong, who is going to object and stay and argue in those circumstances. rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First EOSB I went on a bloke, can't remember who, turned up at the bar in GVA in his boots - he'd worn them on the train from somewhere. I remember thinking "bunch of weirdos". Nothing's changed actually Laughing

If we're broadening the thread I had my travel washing line taken off me in India in October ("You have a rope !?") and a role of tape ("can be used to bind hands together") in the UK once.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just one thought came to mind when I looked at this thread - get a life rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These should sort it - then they won't even notice you have ski boots on - and remember they are the latest skiing accessory to hit the slopes:

http://www.whizzski.co.uk/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

and remember they are the latest skiing accessory to hit the slopes

Is that a fact? Or is there an element of hope value in that statement..??

Didn't see any in PDS a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone out there spotted a set yet....??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I once saw a couple checking in at Zurich with there Full Ski gear on (boots helmets, googles).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What sort of bell end would wear ski boots on a flight? If nothing else you would be the complete laughing stock of anyone that would set eyes on you. You would go down in history and the story would be retold worldwide. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The airlines used to allow it in the 70's I know this because I was a cabin staff member with a large carrier. They stopped it when more than one brain dead moron trod on other peoples feet, not pleasant.Colleague of mine all these years later still has issues with her foot that was a victim.....so get a life and go and enjoy your holiday, stop working yourself up over something so irrelevant.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wasn't there a film called Skiboots on a Plane starring Samuel L Jackson Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You cannot wear ski boots on an aircraft.........they can be used as a weapon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can buy fully bladed Swiss army knifes after the security check at Geneva, never understood that one.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ if i saw some punter wearing his ski boots on a flight i was on, I'd be kicking up a stink with the dollies that it were dangerous and could prevent/hinder proper evac

if you resent paying to take them, dont go skiing. everyone else on the flight will be off on a skiing holiday too, what makes you special? (apart from the obvious)

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin., I bet you can buy fashionable winter scarves that you could strangle someone with too, not to mention wine in glass bottles that you could break and get a sharp glass edge from etc. There are a lot of questionable rules about flying - many just seem there to keep jobsworths in employment. What gets me is all this hooha about paying extra for 10 kilos for baggage when many of the folks will be 10 kilos over their ideal weight yet pay the same as those that aren't!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ref. OP did you wear them then?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin. wrote:
You can buy fully bladed Swiss army knifes after the security check at Geneva, never understood that one.

But you can't take them on the plane. You are given an envelope to post them to your home address.
ski holidays
Quote:

On my return journey from Fuerteventura earlier in the year I had to pay for my hand luggage to go in the hold even though it fitted in the rack thing they have which says "if it fits, its on".

Why? Did she not give a reason?
ski holidays
pam w, because I had to "push" it into the cage, the fact that I got it in there and out again counted as nothing (im not talking jumping up and down on the case for ten minutes, it was a snug fit so didnt drop in")
latest report
I've just flown home today with my ski boots as hand luggage with easyjet, no questions asked in either direction. The boot bag was the only hand luggage I had and would fit in the rack if need be. Also quite a few others on the flight with boot bags. Ryanair can keep their 'low' fares, by the time you go through all the farce and dangly bits I'd rather pay a little bit more and be stress free. Obviously if Ryanair is half the price and I would save significantly then I'd maybe be prepared to put up with their poo-poo, but to save a tenner, no thanks.
snow conditions
When we flew to Geneva with the kids on Easyjet we had two bags between 4 of us and were very close to the weight limit with my boots in one of the bags - not a problem going as we weighed the bags.

Realised when packing to come home we had no idea if the bags were evenly distributed so to make sure they were both underweight we stuck a ski boot in each of the kids backpacks and they carried them... brill idea, though the littl'un was on 7 at the time, so perhaps a bit mean?
latest report
skimom, If you are booked on as a party your baggage allowance can be over on any bag as long as your total allowance is not exceeded. With the proviso no one bag can weigh more than 32KG.
ski holidays
Morrissey wrote:
What sort of bell end would wear ski boots on a flight? If nothing else you would be the complete laughing stock of anyone that would set eyes on you

Agreed.
snow report
There was a weapon in Geneva last week with snowboard boots on. Not as bad as ski boots but he still stood out as a tool.
snow report
To be fair if you can get away with wearing ski boots on Ryanair, why not skis as well, go the full monty Shocked
ski holidays
The walk to the Ryanair part of the terminal at Stansted is miles (they're too tight for travelators, etc) it's hard enough in shoes let alone ski boots.
snow report
A friend of mine travelled Easyjet a couple of years in his snowboard boots. I don't think he had any problems getting through security on the plane. But then, I disowned him as soon as he turned up in the airport and proclaimed he was 'packing lite' and saving money by wearing his boots....

Handbaggage - ok. Hold Baggage - ok. Wearing them - you'll just look a prat. If you're happy with that, best of british luck to you.
ski holidays
Glp9, Ryanair are more than half price, I am Not going to waste money when I go over as often as I do, I fly if it's only (long) weekend, drive 5 days or more...when I take piles of crap over Happy

I have no interest in anyone's view of me on the plane, they are all as tight and mean as me, so that isn't an issue...I just don't want to have to wait for ages to discover the handlers have found a way to crush boots!!

Plus the waiting for bags while I could be driving up the mountain...that's annoying!

I have decided, we will be carrying a boot each in our hand luggage, it's fine as I have all my stuff waiting for me, my friend will not be bootless!
latest report
There should be a set of scales at check in, a bit like jockeys use. All your cases and handluggage has to go on. You pay for a weight limit per passenger, (whatever the airline wants).Everything else is extra. Those who weigh a lot pay more as they are using more fuel. Children and skinny's pay less, as they should as they are using less fuel. Sensible eating, drinking and exercise will be encouraged, the NHS could save millions.Fair fares for all!! snowHead
ski holidays
I think the restaurants and shops in the tax free area would like that idea!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It does make me chuckle how poeple view Ryanair/Easyjet.....they are both businesses who aim to make money yet people who only pay £30 for a flight baulk at paying another £25 to take a bag!.......its still only £55 for a flight!!!

In short, stop being an absolute belter, pay the extra and get on with enjoying your holiday and if you dont like Ryanairs luggage policy, fly BA. rolling eyes
ski holidays
adam.b wrote:
I am off to (soon to be snowy) Turin next weekend, will Ryanair sulk horribly if I wear ski boots on the flight?

Anyone done it?

I can't find anything in the T&C to prohibit it!!

I saw two old chix wobbling through CDG airport in skiboots and skijackets a few weeks ago.

They both made it through to departures without a hitch.

They looked like losers.
ski holidays
ianbradders wrote:
skimom, If you are booked on as a party your baggage allowance can be over on any bag as long as your total allowance is not exceeded. With the proviso no one bag can weigh more than 32KG.

I had always presumed that was the case with all airlines, but last year KLM at Schiphol wouldn't let my parents and I do that. All booked on same booking (so potentially 3x22kg), only had two bags, but one of them was a bit over the 22kg allowance. We had to open them up and redistribute the weight between the two cases. Very odd. Didn't cause much bother so I never went back to the T&Cs to check but I will do in future!
snow report
wigan, cant vouch for other airlines but going through the easyjet sticky about luggage it states it quite clearly.
I have read and reread the sticky loads of times stressing over the sports carriage.
snow conditions
wigan wrote:

I had always presumed that was the case with all airlines

Absolutely not with Ryanair. No sharing of allowances at all.
snow report
ccl wrote:
wigan wrote:

I had always presumed that was the case with all airlines

Absolutely not with Ryanair. No sharing of allowances at all.

In my experience Easyjet are the only ones to allow this.

For a budget airline I think EJ are very good (again IME). Cheap & usually cheerful whereas RA are money grabbing and generally miserable (I have used them quite a bit over the years as they fly the route I need, although only in dire need Toofy Grin)
latest report
Why stop at just your boots! Ski's and Poles too Happy
snow conditions
mrpugster wrote:
Why stop at just your boots! Ski's and Poles too Happy

I suspect you are just being silly now!!
snow report
speedy wrote:
It does make me chuckle how poeple view Ryanair/Easyjet.....they are both businesses who aim to make money yet people who only pay £30 for a flight baulk at paying another £25 to take a bag!.......its still only £55 for a flight!!!

In short, stop being an absolute belter, pay the extra and get on with enjoying your holiday and if you dont like Ryanairs luggage policy, fly BA. rolling eyes

Yup, they are businesses, just like any other, and just like any other aspect of my life, I like to get the best deal possible from my chosen airline!

I wouldn't mind if they made it reasonably easy to contact them, removed some of the ambiguity from the t&c, I would never get away with it in my industry!

In short, stop wasting your money, ask a few questions, think about your journey and requirements and save the £25+ baggage fee for pizzas,and wine.

Thanks for the input everyone, we got them in hand baggage, under the limit and have a case spare for clothes and cash (which we saved!!)
ski holidays
adam.b, You bottler after all these posts and like any other punter you put them in a case?

I'd got a double on you being arrested and Hester passing back his bonus and giving a grovelling apology to the country on primetime telly. No wonder I got 5000/1 They had obviously inside information on your likelihood to fold.
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:
adam.b, You bottler after all these posts and like any other punter you put them in a case?

I'd got a double on you being arrested and Hester passing back his bonus and giving a grovelling apology to the country on primetime telly. No wonder I got 5000/1 They had obviously inside information on your likelihood to fold.

Yeah, sadly, I fold. It would have been fun, but I really need to get there this time!

If I could have got feedback from either the airport or RA I would have been more likely to try...or if the boots didn't fit in a case!

Happy
ski holidays
adam.b,

dude

if you could fit the boots in hand luggage
then you should have tried to wear them
with the option of popping them in hand luggage
if the nazi guards gave you grief
but
posting up a load of attitude on here