Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tried a few skis today

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seeing as I'm skiing more than before and a trip coming, I thought it might be time to invest in a pair of skis. I had done some homework beforehand and come up with a shortlist of skis to try based on my ability, current (see below) and what I would like it to be. All mountain skis seemed to fit the bill. The shortlist included:

1. Atomic Nomad Blackeye ti - get consistent rave reviews here
2. Movement Jam - few threads on here about them but those that have them love them
3. Scott Mission - pops up all the time as an alternative to all mountains and for delaminating!
4. Atomic Theory - All mountain ski of the year for some mag (maybe Fall Line?)
5. Volkl Kendo
6. Salomon BBR 8.9 - loved and hated in equal measure but I was very intrigued by the blurb

A little bit about me:

175 cm.
70kg.
Chicken legs. (I blame my genes!)
I am fit for my age but could probably be fitter. I used to run a lot until I knackered my knees and now cycle in the summer and do a little cardio and isometric training in the gym 2 - 3 times in the week concentrating mainly on building strength and balance. 1 hour sessions. Ish.

I've got 5 and a bit weeks of skiing under my belt and can tackle all red runs and most blacks confidently (apart from the chopped up, unpisted or really icy ones). I'm starting to go off piste (off the edges of pistes anyway) and do little jumps. I like big carving turns at speed as well as fast, short turns along the edges of the more steep reds. My technique could improve but that will come with time and practice, hopefully.

The venue:

I got myself down to Tamworth snowdome and had a chat with the EB store they have in-house before I went about demo-ing skis. For those that haven't been, it is a small indoor slope, usually icy with a dash on powder on the top. It has a couple of draglifts that go halfway house and a conveyer belt that goes to the top. This takes forever. They also have a couple of jumps set up and ready all the time.

I met young Daniel-san at the EB store and talked him through my skiing experience and shortlist and also had a list of technical questions. Very helpful chap, I would highly recommend his for his honest approach and willingness to teach and learn. As I was there for a few hours, I wanted to try a few skis and he picked things off my list for me to try.

The skis:

1. The first ski that Daniel-san picked out as being good for me and something I could grow into was the Atomic Nomad Blackeye ti. This was in 174 cm. Nice sturdy ski and I really like the green and black topsheets. I'm not going to get into the technical blurb here. Straight off a very stiff ski. And felt heavy. Great on edge and good fun to carve. I couldn't get much speed as there was a deluge of learners tottering about doing things their own way. Good in the jumps but harsh on my knees. I felt this was a ski that would really suit an aggressive skier and reward someone that would push it. A slight problem for me given my legs and knees.

2. The next ski that Daniel-san picked out was the Atomic Theory. This was the 177 cm version. Red (or is it orange) and black topsheets. This ski was less stiffer than the Nomad. And lighter. Getting on edge was a bit harder and was easy enough to carve but not as rewarding as the Nomad. Better than it the jumps and landings but this maybe down to the extra width and length.

3. Following this, I tried the Marmite ski of the year, the Salomon BBR 8.9. This was the 176 cm version. First things, the size of those shovels!!! I spent the first 5 minutes not knowing if I'd cross my legs over and fall flat on my face. However, got them on the slope with no problems. Felt light on my feet and were easy to carve, fast edge to edge, stable at speed and was generally fantastic for my skiing style. Nice on the jumps and soft landings. Put a smile on my face.

4. After this, I tried the Movement Jam. These also come in with a black and green topsheet and were a 172cm iirc. Not as stiff as the Nomads but felt light on my feet, easy to carve and did everything the Salomon's did including putting a smile on my face. Also good in the jumps and made for soft landings.

5. The last skis I tried were the Volkl Kendo. These have an interesting black and white topsheet and were the 184 cm iirc. These felt a bit long for a trial on piste and behaved as such too. Not quite in the same league as the 2 above for me. I took these back quickly enough as I didn't feel that the small slope was the right place to test them.

We also discussed the K2 Rictors but given that I didn't like how stiff the Nomads were, decided against trying them out.

Things I learned or was reminded of:
1. My knees.
2. Even an intermediate skier of limited experience can tell the difference between skis.
3. Nothing is quite as good as trying before buying.
4. Camber, rocker, mounts, bindings, flapping - all my questions answered
5. I enjoyed trying the Movements and BBRs.

That brings me to making a decision. I'm going to try both skis again and then decide what I like the best.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Mission is a more advanced ski than the ones you tried IMO having skied most and only the brown Turin shroud version parted company. But it really is an 80/20 off-piste ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A friend in Colorado was recommended the Jams by Harold Harb, who until recently didn't think much of most freeride skis. I think he likes them.

One thing that you will want to do is try to project how a ski will do in other conditions- stiff can be good on piste, but not as good in moguls or powder, IMO.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cynic wrote:
The Mission is a more advanced ski than the ones you tried IMO having skied most and only the brown Turin shroud version parted company. But it really is an 80/20 off-piste ski.

Is that 80: 20 piste: off piste or the other way around? Would you say it's worth trying as well? It was on my initial shortlist but having tried the others I'm in two minds about it and the fact that it's only being tried out in the fridge.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MEfree30 wrote:
A friend in Colorado was recommended the Jams by Harold Harb, who until recently didn't think much of most freeride skis. I think he likes them.

One thing that you will want to do is try to project how a ski will do in other conditions- stiff can be good on piste, but not as good in moguls or powder, IMO.

This is the difficulty. Replicating everyday/ every slope conditions on a indoor slope. Would it be possible to have an email address of your friend? I am very interested in real life 1st hand experiences. Thanks. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rishie, 80 off 20 on for the pairs of Missions I have had, pre rocker.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a quick go on the Jams and Missions in the MK snowdome last year. Both were good, but I thought the Jams were the best. I didn't get chance to open them up properly, but they just gave the impression of a more stable high speed ride. They certainly wouldn't hold you back in your progress toward going off-piste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am 99% on piste and I love my Missions. They have never been a problem at speed and are quick enough edge to edge for me. I am not very good in soft snow or slush, and they compensate for my failings. They have encouraged me to dabble with off-piste too - in my braver moments.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tried some Kendos a couple of days ago in chopped up afternoon snow and thought they were awesome. If I was in the market for an all-mountain ski that would get my money.

A friend had Movement Jsms that he loved, very light and easy to ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm around about the same level as you, I hired a pair of these in Argentiere back in December, they were really great fun in powder and on the groomed piste I was flying down the slopes; these are the ski's I'm going to buy when I've got some cash!

http://www.rossignol.com/index.php?_lang=GB&_cnt=GB&function=showProd&insidefile=productDetails.html&oid=CAT1011:cqx6wx23iq86v&alias=ski-men-skis
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rishie, thanks for posting the reviews.

I'm also looking at some all-mountain skis - so interesting to hear thoughts on these, from one intermediate to another.

I tried the Atomic Blackeye a little while back, and also found them a little cumbersome (although that might be down to my ability, rather than the ski!)

As a matter of interest, how did you find the Movement Jam in short/skiddy turns?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
junglist_matty, I think Deacthlon have them on sale at the moment so have a look there! They look quite wide underfoot which kind of scares me, but I'll add them on my "to try" list for next month in, wait for it, Argentiere!

abj, I only skied them in the dome. Changing direction was easy and they felt light on my feet. I liked them enough for them to remain on my shortlist. Hopefully, I can try them next month. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm pretty small, 5'7" and 62 kg ish but I ski on Rictors no problem. They are a great ski and if you are more piste orientated then definitely worth testing. They are quite heavy and stiff ish but imo not too hard to ski. I've done around 15-20 weeks skiing and I am prob somewhere between intermediate and early advanced but have only skied on piste and dabbled between pistes. I ski quite aggressively most of the time and these skis are a real joy when you push them.

They might be much the same as the blackeye (not tried these) but if you are testing EB range you might as well give them a try imo! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dynastar Legend Sultan 80 (or 85) Designed for Intermediate/advanced thinking about venturing off piste snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy