Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with a snowpulse

Poster: A snowHead
I've gone and bought a snowpulse backpack and I'm going to be flying with it this winter. I've read a few comments about this but I'm really curious to know: how many of us are flying with these? What's the best approach - stick it in checked luggage and 'forget' to mention it at check in or 'fess up? Take it as hand luggage complete with cylinder?

I've read Imorris's post here:-

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1598810&highlight=snowpulse#1598810

Anyone else had any good or bad experiences (of flying with a snowulse backpack, before I get any comedy replies Smile ) they're willing to share?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i've only flown with it once by my experience was similar to imorris's
flew out of heathrow T1 with Swiss. told the check in person. she wasn't sure so spoke to someone senior who got his boss out who has just been to training where these cylinders were discussed specifically. ok to put in hold luggage.
coming back out of zurich the check in girl was a bit clueless but said it was ok on the basis that i had successfully travelled out with it
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, good to hear that all went well.

clived, The official line is to notify the airline at least 2 weeks prior to travel, supplying the correct documents, however as Arno, has pointed out things are changing all the time with airbags as there is more awarness of them by the airlines.

Snowpulse are working hard behind the scenes to increase awarness with the airlines
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doh! How did I miss this thread when I searched before: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61064

Arno, livetoski: thanks for the responses!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clived, I forgot to mention the cylinders were in my hold luggage and got hauled back to outsized luggage to open the bag. V nearly missed the flight! However the staff were very helpful and rushed through the check - they didn't seem to have a clue what they were looking at and were pretty easily convinced that the cylinders were harmless. My advice would be fess up at the desk and leave yourself an extra 30 mins to deal with officialdom. This was at Luton 2 weeks ago.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bump, I have been speaking with Easy Jet following a few questions about Flying with them and air bags.

Phone call today, I got the following confirmation:

Easy Jet, had an update to their Ground Handling Regs back on the 15th August, stating that the carriage of "Avalanche Rescue Backpack" was allowed. They should be pre booked with the airline, do not just turn up as their checkin staff might think you have something to hide!

Hope this helps
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski, that's very useful to me - as I will be taking one on EJ in february. I'll be flying Swiss and BA in the meantime - and will report back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, don't know whether you saw my other post on this but I just turned up with Swiss and once i had spoken to someone's boss's boss it was fine - in future I'd think about calling them and getting a note on the booking just to smooth things through
with BA I called in advance but haven't flown yet. it actually says on the BA website that avalanche packs are a restricted item which needs to be cleared in advance so I thought it would be a good idea to take that advice!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno,
Quote:

it actually says on the BA website that avalanche packs are a restricted item which needs to be cleared in advance so I thought it would be a good idea to take that advice!

this is in line with the IATA Table 2.3A" regs that Avalanche Rescue Backpacks should have "the approval of the operator(s) is required"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, Thanks for that. The advice seems to be that even if the airline does normally permit it - it should be cleared in advance

Swiss have just e mailed me

Quote:
We have reviewed your request and wish to share the following information with you:

It is permitted to bring one (1) avalanche airbag per passenger, equipped with a pyrotechnic
trigger mechanism containing less than 200mg net of Division 1.4S and less than 250mL of compressed
gas in Division 2.2. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally acti-vated. The airbags within the backpack must be fitted with pressure relief valves.

We trust this information is helpful and look forward to welcome you aboard SWISS soon.

which is nice...

Now to get on to BA and EJ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

BA and EJ...

Puzzled

livetoski
Quote:

Easy Jet, had an update to their Ground Handling Regs back on the 15th August, stating that the carriage of "Avalanche Rescue Backpack" was allowed. They should be pre booked with the airline, do not just turn up as their checkin staff might think you have something to hide!

Hope this helps
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, Are you packing it in the hold bags, thats the advice I got from Lufthansa?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski, Yes I did see that - very helpful

I meant that I now need to get it all in writing from the other two...

The real issue will be next year when I try and go back to the US, because aren't their rules different?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, The US is always causing confusion, yes the rules on the canisters are different.

The US canisters can only be filled to a pressure of 207 bar therefore the canister is larger in the US at 360ml for the snowpulse, as you will see its larger than the 250ml IATA regs.

There is no law stopping you from taking the euro canisters to the States, or flying with them in the states, its just that they can not be filled there to 300 bar, some strange US limit on filling is in place.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at my manual - the rules for eJ are the same as what stoatsbrother posted for Swiss.

stoatsbrother wrote:

Quote:
We have reviewed your request and wish to share the following information with you:

It is permitted to bring one (1) avalanche airbag per passenger, equipped with a pyrotechnic
trigger mechanism containing less than 200mg net of Division 1.4S and less than 250mL of compressed
gas in Division 2.2. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally acti-vated. The airbags within the backpack must be fitted with pressure relief valves.

In addition:
Permitted in or as carry-on baggage yes
Permitted in or as checked baggage yes
Permitted on one's person no
The approval of the operator is required yes
snow report
Michelle wrote:
In addition:
Permitted in or as carry-on baggage yes
Permitted in or as checked baggage yes
Permitted on one's person no
The approval of the operator is required yes

Thanks for the info, but can I just confirm one thing: if you seek the approval of the operator (easyJet) you can carry an avalanche bag as carry-on baggage? Does this conflict with the "Permitted on one's person" rule?
snow report
rob@rar, that means that you carry it on and place it in the o/h locker, rather than wear it throughout the flight.

EDIT to add:
Unlike Safety matches o a lighter with fuel/fluid fully absorbed in a solid and intended for use by an individual when carried on ones person. Hpwever, lighters with a flammable liquid reservoir containing unabsorbed liquid fuel (other than liquefied gas), lighter fuel and lighter refills are not permitted on one's person nor in checked in or carry on baggage.
NOTE: "strike anywhere" matches are forbidden for air transport.

Permitted in or as carry on baggage NO
Permitted in or as checked baggage NO
Permitted on one's person YES

If your lighter combusts whilst in the overhead locker, in a bag at the back, it's going to be pretty drastic by the time we work it out and get to it.
If your lighter combusts whilst in your pocket, you'll get to it and put it out before it creates too much hassle...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-01-11 10:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Michelle, please spell things out clearly for the likes of Rob. Cabin crews to check cross hatch.
latest report
parlor, Laughing Laughing Leave the poor boy be wink
ski holidays
Michelle, thanks.

parlor, Laughing

The Snowpulse bags are relatively heavy and if you're trying to keep within luggage allowances for your checked baggage taking your avalanche bag on as hand luggage is going to help a bit. But I'm surprised that easyjet are happy for that to happen, and in the case of ABS bags imagine the reaction when you go through airport security as explain that in addition to the canister of compressed gas you also have a small explosive charge, along with your laptop and a good book for the journey...
snow report
i take the bag as hand luggage but put the cylinder in one of my boots which go in checked luggage (shock horror - snowhead poster puts boots in hold...)
latest report
Arno, don't your boots freeze in the hold? Wink
snow report
parlor, yes - i find it makes them smell less
snow conditions
Hey! Still trying to get approval and more clarity regarding the transport of my new Lifebag 30L in early February (Luton>Geneva) on an Easyjet flight. I wrote EJ before New Year and I am still waiting for their response... Sent them another request today. Puzzled

Here my question to anyone who has been recently in contact with Easyjet on the Snowpulse matter:
Are you saying that you can take the backpack including the canister into the cabin (overhead compartment?), or do they want you (allow you) to separate backpack and canister, i.e. pack in the cabin, but canister in a boot with the checked-in luggage, OR... do both pieces have to go together into checked-in luggage? Did you get approval in writing? Any feedback welcome!

I hope to hear back from Easyjet within days now and will report back.

Thank you! Smile
latest report
Ok, EasyJet came back to me and confirmed that I can take the Snowpulse Lifebag 30L into the checked-in luggage, copying message below. I don't have more specifics (still waiting) as to how many spare air cylinders they allow, but I'll let you know as soon as I know more. I hope they would make this Avalanche Rescue Bag/Snowpulse topic even clearer in their baggage policy! Key issue with EasyJet's Customer Support is that it seems to take them 28days to respond to passenger queries, i.e. I will likely get more details by end of Feb...
===============
Dear Mr Heinze,

Thank you for contacting us.

I regret that we have been unable to respond to your e-mail as quickly as we would like to as we are receiving high volume of e-mails due to cancellation of flights because of snow. I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused to you and I assure you that we are making constant efforts to minimize the delays in our responses.

I would like to confirm that you can carry your "Snowpulse Avalanche Airbag System" in hold luggage.

However, I would like to inform you that every item of standard checked-in ('hold') baggage will incur a fee. The applicable online fee will be displayed at the time of booking baggage (whether during or after booking your flight). Alternatively, you may choose to pay a higher charge at the airport. You will be advised of this charge at the airport. Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20 kg across all pieces of hold baggage. This may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges. The excess luggage charge is £10 per additional kilo, which is payable at the sales desk.

However, if you pay for the hold luggage over the phone the charge is £9 per bag and passenger. If you pay at the airport, the charge is £18 per bag and passenger.

I have included a link below to more information on our baggage policy:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage

You are our valuable customer and we are looking forward to welcoming you onboard.

I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully. To update your query please reply to this e-mail. We will be happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely,

Chhavi
Customer Service Representative
ski holidays
Arch1971, good to see their response, I know it took me about half hour on the phone to actually speak to a human, but when I did they were really very good wink
snow conditions
Arch1971, Hi Arch. Can you email me details of where the email came from with your email address and time/date of the email so I can ask EJ for a copy? Thanks, Michael. My email: brookswestbourne@yahoo.co.uk
latest report
Dear Nendaz/all,

The SnowPulse <> EasyJet saga remains very cumbersome. The good news first: I flew with my Lifebag 30 (including canister) with EJ from Lutton to Geneva and back. (Side note: Verbier was awesome, but Switzerland and France really need fresh snow!!)

The bad news:
The EasyJet Customer Service is all over the place when it comes to Avalanche Rescue Bags. Here is what happened:
After I had received the above approval to travel with my Snowpulse (see my earlier posting) I wanted to get more specifics and wrote EasyJet the following email.
--------------------------------------------
"Dear Chhavi,

I am very grateful for your approval for the Snowpulse Avalanche Rescue System.

I would like to make sure that I truly understand the specifics of your policy and regarding my case, especially since many skier friends of mine are just as confused about this as I am.

As far as I interpret your baggage policy understand it refers to certain gas cylinders are not permitted in the cabin or in hold luggage, but your approval confirms that the breathable air cylinder which comes with the SNOWPULSE Avalanche Rescue System does not fall under this the below "Dangerous Article" section (see below), but is being treated as an exception that I am allowed to take. Correct?

My SNOWPULSE Avalanche Rescue System has one cylinder as part of the backpack, and I am planning to take a spare cylinder with me, too. Please confirm how many SNOWPULSE (spare) cylinders I am allowed in hold-luggage?

(Side note: As these cylinders are quite expensive I would never plan to take more than the original and 1 or maximum 2 spare cylinders with me.) Further, I am planning to actually pack this backpack INSIDE of my larger checked-in bag. I am assuming that is okay, too?

Thank you.

Dangerous Articles

The following dangerous articles are not permitted in baggage whether cabin or hold baggage:
Gas cylinders. Deeply refrigerated flammable, non-flammable, and poisonous gases such as butane, oxygen, propane, and aqualung cylinders. Includes butane gas (eg for use with heated hair appliances) camping gas, and chef's blow torches."
----------------------------------------
Now, you guys may think I am crazy to ask more questions after dear Mr. Chhavi from EJ already approved the transport, but hold your breath!

ONE DAY (!) before I am flying to Verbier last Friday I receive the following response from Mr. Chhavi:
----------------------------------------------
"3rd February 2011

Dear Mr Heinze,

I am writing to sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to your e-mail. I want to make sure that you are not left with a feeling that the delayed response was a result of lack of respect or care from our side. I need to admit that from the time of the mass flight disruptions due to adverse weather conditions, there is a delay in our response. However, it does not change the fact that the delay in response is way below the service level, you should rightly expect from us and that we normally aim at.

I would like to convey to you that you can carry a Snow pulse Avalanche Rescue System, however, I regret to inform you that an air cylinder cannot be taken on board.

You are a valued customer and we hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.

I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully. To update your query please reply to this e-mail. I will be happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely,

Chhavi
Customer Service Representative"
---------------------------------------------------
Heart attack. WTF????!!!? I can take the SnowPulse, but no cylinder, which makes his earlier approval completely pointless and defies the purpose of the airbag helping to keep me safe!

15min before 8pm, ie only hours before my flight I finally called EasyJet to get an explanation what the heck they mean = good news: we got it sorted and I was lucky to talk to someone who was not a moron!

MY BEST ADVICE:
Don't just email EasyJet, call them, and make sure that they put a note against your booking for the checking staff to see it - or risk to get your 200£ air canister confiscated. I had everything printed out, when we went through check-in, attached the canister-specs, the IATA approval and the email below to the Snowpulse in my bag. I told everyone (no hide and seek) and all went well.

Final written approval below, after my call. Thank you Grzegorz for sorting this out!
------------------------------------------------------
"3rd February 2011

Dear Mr Heinze,

According to our phone conversations, I'm sending you the information about this avalanche rescue backpack:

It is allowed to transport this item in the hold baggage if:

Avalanche rescue backpack, one (1) per passenger, equipped with a
pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than 200 mg net of Division 1.4S
and less than 250 ml of compressed gas in Division 2.2. The backpack must be
packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated. The airbags
within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief valves.

I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully. To update your query please reply to this e-mail. We will be happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely,

-Grzegorz Kawalec-
Customer Service Representative"
--------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps everyone! And now I expect a medal from Snowpulse! Damn it... they are (understandably?) making this difficult...
Cool Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Arch
Glad you got sorted. We fly out of Luton on Wed. Having read the various listings I decided to contact EJ. the email responses posted seemed to miss the point or be a little vague, often quoting regs and policies that can be found on their website. I therefore decided to call them.

I called and had them email me while I was on the phone. The email was vague and not specific to an avalanche rescue backpack. I therefore asked them to re-email me with some modified wording making it specific. Severla times during the call the customer services person put me on hold while he checked with his supervisor. This always led to more regs being quoted, specifically the IATA regs. Your email response seems to quote the regs. EJ policy therefore seems to be 'quote regs and policies inresponse to queries'. So if you have a problem, refer them to the IATA regs and get them to quote them verbatim in their reponse.

I had to wait half an hour on hold before getting through, but once through they were very helpful. Final email below, which seems pretty definitive, though I haven't had them put a flag on my booking which I think sound like a good idea. Just got to steel myself for the 30 mins on hold again.

We're off to our apartment in Nendaz so let's hope Verbier is still awsome. Last snow was in Jan and it's very sunny but there's always good sking to be had somewhere there.

Our Reference: 110207-008448
Booking Reference: n/a

7th February 2011

Dear Mr Brooks,

I would like to confirm that the avalanche rescue backpack with the 250 ml or less of compressed air can be taken as a piece of hold or hand luggage.

Yours sincerely,

-Michal Krukowski-
Customer Service Representative
snow report
Hi Nendaz, thank you for helping to pull this EasyJet-Snowpulse knowledge base together. Wish you fun in Nendaz/4-Vallées. They announced some new snow for Tues-Thurs on Snow-Forecast.com. Maybe that will allow them to reopen Mt. Gelé and the routes down Tortin. They closed those just when we left.

...and keep all print-outs with the Snowpulse! wink Keep us posted!
latest report
Got through on Austrian with my snowpulse, but it did cause a little consternation on outward And return journeys. IATA allows it to be carried either as hand luggage or in checked luggage WITH THE CARRIER'S APPPROVAL (which I had in writing). I'm intrigued with the IATA restriction to 250 as my cylinder is 300... I think this is a US/EU difference.

Get it confirmed by email, carry copies of the email, be prepared for some questions!!

Suggest early check-in too!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy