Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Johnboy's first time to Chamonix thread.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the title suggests I'm off to Chamonix on 5th Feb for a week, with a group of 10, most of which I don't know. First time without Mrs JB Shocked . I have about 20 weeks skiing under my belt over the last 20 years, most of which has been in the last 10. Confident on reds, do the odd Black, never done any serious off piste apart from a lesson from the famous Claude at EoSB 09. Staying in a hotel called Le Vert.

Questions:

1) What lift pass options are available/ Cost?£££

2) How much is a small beer? (Was paying 2.30 Euro in Austria 2 weeks ago)(Everything is relative to the cost of a small beer)

3) Would I be able to do the Valle Blanche? How much to join a guided group? Where does one find out about this type of stuff?

4) What is the best way to get about considering our hotel is a bit out of the way? Bus? Taxis? Cost?

5) Where is the most accessable piste from our hotel?

6) Nightlife? Apres Bars? etc Nightclubs?

7) Anything else of interest? Zoos? Fish?

Thankyou, a very excited JB
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cool Is it acceptable to call it Cham?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1 www.compagniedumontblanc.fr - You probably want Le Pass
2 more
3 If you can walk the arrete then you can ski the main VB, it's a red run with scenery, a climb and a path through the forest. Take crampons.
4 Taxis don't exist in Cham, there's a free bus service, a free around-town minibus and a train that runs up the valley
5 Brevent ski area is the nearest, it's not exactly 'accessible' though, not much is!
6 By the time you've walked in to town from the Vert it'll be time to go home again - saves quite a lot on small beers though.
7 The zoo is hard to find - it's all penguins anyway, seen one seen them all.

- check Chamonet.com for more useful detail on all of the above . . . probably should've said that first Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, I hope you like buses..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, there is a really good zoo in cham. its called the Parc Animale, unfortunately it will be closed for the winter.

1 Le Pass
2 4/5 euro, you need to get tuned in to the happy hours
3 vb no problem with a guide, check chamonet for a listing
4 not that much in it you are going to have to travel, do them all and go back to the one you liked best, try and do a day in courmayeur
5 none really Brevent closest
6 too many to list http://www.chamonet.com/nightlife/bars-cafes-clubs.html where you are staying is good but out of it do chambre 9 for scandie apres
7 the ice hockey

the key to your lads holiday I suspect will be transport, maybe talk to the hotel, there are firms that do in resort transport

have a great one
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy, I doubt all 10 of your group will stay together on the slopes 'cause the better skiers/riders will want to head straight for some of the high stuff, cane down it and do it again. The less confident will pootle about on the greens and blues before taking an lifetime to get down some of the reds! I wouldn't try and plan what to do, just go with it! For that reason I normally get day passes (although first week in Feb, the queues may be getting pretty long at the cash desk) and if you lie in bed with a hangover and only get out for a few runs in the afternoon you've saved a few euro's ready for the night again. If some of your buddies really aren't up to Cham spec (it is acceptable to call it Cham! wink ) send them over to Planards where a lift ticket is less than half of Le Pass and might even be worth having your first day there (even better your first afternoon if you arrive early enough) so everyone can bond, show there best freestyling (no park but some rollers, piste edge jumps and easy slopes for jibbing), carving, fakie skills, etc before you move on to the real mountain. It is kinda the opposite side of town to you though so you will all end up Brevent on your first day (just remember it for those who are straight out of "learn in a day" though)!

Go with it and don't stress about the buses, there's nothing you can do about them and they're not that bad (pretty good service TBH)! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only 2.30 Euro for a beer, Austria here I come!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mrpugster, That was a small beer. Only girls drink small beers wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The best skiing is in the Argentierre area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand,

When in Rome, I wouldn't dream of ordering anything less than a pint at home!

So how much is a 6 day Le Pass?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you really get a large beer for 4 euros in Chamonix? Sounds like a bargain.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a zoo in chamonix??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8611, http://www.parcdemerlet.com/animaux.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"3 If you can walk the arrete then you can ski the main VB, it's a red run with scenery, a climb and a path through the forest. Take crampons. "

Twaddle like this breezy half-advice results in deaths each year, I am sure you know better than to listen but I'm just saying it in case someone else does. In fact there's someone missing right now

http://www.chamonet.com/reports/news/aiguille-du-midi-missing-snowboarder.html

other than that all good advice, the Vert will advise you on transport options, they have their own bus which is probably the best idea.

edit - just to clarify. If you can ski a red run you are probably fine to do the VB and I highly, highly recommend it! But don't even consider going without a guide. My corrected version

"3 If you can walk the arete then you can ski the main VB, it's a red run with massive, deadly often concealed crevasses that take lives on a regular basis, scenery, a climb and a path through the forest. Take a guide and you'll have a great time because they know the safe routes through. "

We always use Neil Hitchings, he's a great guy
http://www.neil-hitchings.com/

If he's not available check chamonet as above, or try evo 2 or the AIGMB. It's an amazing day out Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy